View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Couple Recent Shows 

Post Couple Recent Shows
A while back Sam asked about any recent shows or shows they were planning to see in the near future. I commented that I was going to see Rusted Root and the Fray in the next couple weeks. So as requested here is a report.

The first of the two shows was Rusted Root with Devon Allman. The show was at Durty Nellies in Palatine, IL. Devon Allman was the opener... Wow, they had great energy and the drummer was really tight. I got to say Devon stole the show. He did a really great rendition of "No Woman No Cry" that had the audience sing along - actually there was a lot of audience participation. Later in the show, one of the songs I kept thinking sounded like a Cure song. So the next day when I was burning the CD to the hard drive in the car, the song was on there and sure enough it was the Cure's "A Night Like This." During the final song Devon came of stage and mingled through the crowd while playing his guitar. Would definitely go see them again! Sorry for the blurry picture still trying to get used to my new phone.

Even though Devon stole the show Rusted Root was still good. Michael playing style is so aggressive that I swear he changed guitars every song. For some reason I really wanted to hear "Food and Creative Love" that day and wouldn't you know it was like the second song in the set. The Martyr was great and got the crowd going. Of course they had to play "Send Me on My Way" which probably got most response from the audience.

Last week we saw the Fray with American Authors at the Chicago Theater. Originally it was just going to be my wife and my youngest, the oldest didn't want to go. Then the night before the show, my wife won two tickets to the show so we brought my oldest along with one of her friends. My kids and my oldest friend were primary interested in the American Authors. Overall, I probably enjoyed AA a bit more than the Fray. I thought the percussion mix was better for the AA, which was great because their drummer was very dynamic. The bass player also contributed on bass drum and lead singer on tom too on some songs. Shot of the stage before the band came out.

I enjoyed the Fray, because I like the spiritual nature of their lyrics. I also really like the playing style and persona of the lead guitarist, though I don't know his name. Though he should play a G&L! Unfortunately, we had to leave a little early as my youngest decided it was too loud. So probably missed the last song and a half.

Cheers, Dan

Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:12 am

Post Re: Couple Recent Shows
Hey Dan!

Thanks for the reviews and now I have to look up the America Authors. Word of mouth is always great for spreading the news of good bands. :thumbup: Devon Allman sounds like a true entertainer and great musician, will keep on the radar for any of his tour news, as well as the Fray.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:06 pm

Post Re: Couple Recent Shows
BTW, if anyone was wondering, Devon is Gregg's son. It felt good to get out and experience live music again. One of the things I miss about summer is checking out the number of free live shows in the area.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]