Dead and Co.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:02 am

I caught their set last night in Camden NJ. It was refreshing, as good/better than any GD show I've seen in the 80's. Full moon, extended second set with some prolonged jams. Bob Weir was the gray wolfman, played a customized strat-like gtr, and was energetic. John Mayer was wielding a 3 pup PRS and was adept/comfortable, fit in well. If they come your way, would definitely suggest checking them out.
Set I
Bertha jm
Shakedown Street bw jm >
West LA Fadeaway bw jm
Row Jimmy jm
Crazy Fingers bw jm >
I Need A Miracle bw >
Big Railroad Blues jm

Set II
Playin’ In The Band >
The Wheel bw jm >
Eyes Of The World bw jm >
Standing On The Moon jm >
Let It Grow bw >
Drums/Space >
All Along The Watchtower bw >
Morning Dew bw >
Not Fade Away bw

E: Ripple bw jm j

Re: Dead and Co.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:30 pm

Great to hear Dr! Like the set too. :thumbup:

Saw Jerry and the boys many times and some solo shows and incarnations but not this group. Not a John Mayer fan but I have heard he has matured well and actually blends in with this group with a nice groove. Hope to see them this summer. Will see Warren Haynes tribute to Jerry with orchestra backing this week. Have heard that is killer as well. Thanks for sharing.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:43 pm

Cool! Thanks for posting about that. I saw the GD many times during the second 15 years of their 30-year run. I saw Dead & Co. last December. I thoroughly enjoyed John Mayer's fit and playing, and I've never been in either Mayer camp. I am looking forward to another show this summer. Wish I could catch them at Alpine Valley, WI, where I saw so many GD shows in the day! A unique sound to that venue.

On a G&L note, my maple-bodied Skyhawk has gotten me closer to that sparkling Jerry tone. It must have been the maple ;) , which was the core of Tiger and its later iterations.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:22 am

Sam, the Warren Haynes gig sounds cool. He's such a soulful player. My son saw him sit in with Umphrey's at a NY gig recently.
Tomanche, I'll bet that skyhawk sounds sweet. Bob Weir should check one of those out!
here's the rest of Dead + Co. summer tour schedule per their site...

Jun. 23 Jiffy Lube Live Bristow, VA United States
Jun. 25 Citi Field New York, NY United States
Jun. 26 Citi Field New York, NY United States
Jun. 28 Xfinity Theatre Hartford, CT United States
Jul. 2 Folsom Field (Travel Packages Available) Boulder, CO United States
Jul. 3 Folsom Field (Travel Packages Available) Boulder, CO United States
Jul. 7 DTE Energy Music Theatre Clarkston, MI United States
Jul. 9 Alpine Valley Music Theatre (Travel Packages Available) Elkhorn, WI United States
Jul. 10 Alpine Valley Music Theatre (Travel Packages Available) Elkhorn, WI United States
Jul. 13 First Niagara Pavilion Pittsburgh, PA United States
Jul. 15 Fenway Park (Travel Packages Available) Boston, MA United States
Jul. 16 Fenway Park (Travel Packages Available) Boston, MA United States
Jul. 22 Moda Center Portland, OR United States
Jul. 23 The Gorge Amphitheatre George, WA United States
Jul. 26 Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre Irvine, CA, United States
Jul. 27 Sleep Train Amphitheatre Chula Vista, CA United States
Jul. 29 Toyota Amphitheatre Wheatland, CA United States
Jul. 30 Shoreline Amphitheatre Mountain View, CA United States

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:17 pm

drjho7 wrote: I'll bet that skyhawk sounds sweet. Bob Weir should check one of those out!

Well, here he is playing a Legacy (heir to the Skyhawk) last summer at his old high school, sitting in with the local cover band!
Actually, I'm tickled that Bob's custom-made S-style guitar has three toggle switches for the pickup selector---just like an old Comanche VI! :happy0065:

phpBB [video]

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:32 pm

I never made it to a Dead show, but got to see a couple of Bob's acoustic duo shows with Rob Wasserman up in Portland Maine in the '90s, and a couple with Ratdog. I saw Phil when he toured with Bob Dylan around 2000. IIRC, he had Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks in his band for that show. That was quite a night.

Ken

Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:13 pm

I went the 3rd dead show at soldier field 2 summers ago, and then to Dead and CO at Alpine Valley last year. Soldier Field, "Grateful Dead Reunion" sucked. Dead and Co was fantastic. If i hadn't been able to pick up a ticket for super cheap the day of the show I would have been done with the whole thing. John Mayer is bringing the energy and has elevated everyone's game. It was fantastic. - retired dead head who spent allot of time at shows in the late 80s and 90s.

anyone catching any of the summer shows for 2017? there are talks but I haven't committed to tickets yet.

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:45 pm

Bob Wier gave me the finger right in my face back stage at a Bobby and The Midnights show, in Portland , Maine in the eighties. Billy Cobham literally stopped right behind him, looked at my photos and called Bob an <censored word>. Similar response backstage from all the band at Nassau Coliseum in the early eighties, both time with no one else around. No pressure, just a guy holding a 11 X 20 photo wanting an autograph. After the Nassau show I was so disgusted that I went back into the crowd after the show and gave away my photos. Total douche bags back then.

Was a hobby of mine back then. I have sat in a limo with Carlos Santana and the band after a show where they passed around my photos and signed them. Have signed Pink Floyd photos, Zappa photos and others. Never been treated so bad by such a mediocre talent.

Sorry you got me started but here are some shots...

Image Image

Image Image

Tom

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:39 am

cool photos, Tom. I especially like the one of the acoustic dead set.
sorry to hear that BW was an AH.
also a cool Zappa photo. i got to see him in Des Moines in '84, quite memorable. I think Steve Vai was on that gig as well.
they did a version of 'whipping post' that was epic.
i plan to catch dead and co again in June when they come back to camden. BW's performance was tired, but as a band they really had some magic.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Sweet pics Tom :thumbup:
I will miss Dead and Co this year due to work and vacation schedule, but may be able to shuffle some time. Did see Dream Theatre last week. Super show and John Petrucci was amazing! Zappa pic is great. Saw the Them Or Us tour in '86 and briefly met a couple of band members outside their tour bus. Nice enough dudes to quickly say hi. Cool stories ya got as well.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Would love to see Dream Theater live. Quite a bunch of talented musicians.

If you get the chance to see Zappa Plays Zappa with Dweezil Zappa it's worth the price of admission for sure. Sometimes Steve Vai sits in or Terri Bozio on drums.

Oh, that version that Frank did of Whipping Post is in deed EPIC. I have several versions on CD and all are incredible. He does get a bit carried away on the solos sometimes, wouldn't recognize the song at some points but that's all part of the Zappa experience.

Tom

Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:23 pm

i have a version of whipping post on this one...pretty cool, but live it was really a treat!