1978 Music Man Guitar

Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:09 am

Just snagged this up and the seller claims it was made by Leo. No serial number or anything of that nature. Appears to be a one-off prototype.

Heres the album: http://imgur.com/a/JMT3n

Re: 1978 Music Man Guitar

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:27 am

ohdamnitsdevin wrote:Just snagged this up and the seller claims it was made by Leo. No serial number or anything of that nature. Appears to be a one-off prototype.

Heres the album: http://imgur.com/a/JMT3n

I see the serial number on the bridge, but cannot read it. I doubt that it is a one-off prototype.

We do have some members here with knowledge about the early Music Man instruments, so perhaps they will see this and post.
You might also try the Music Man website. This website's focus is on G&L instruments.

:ugeek:

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:15 pm

COol Axe you have there. It looks to me to be a very early 1978 Music Man Sabre tho it could be a prototype of sorts or one-off. My guess is the latter.
The reason I say this is because it does have a S/N stamped on the bridge plate. I have a blonde Sabre I from 1978 with a similar S/N starting with A0.
What makes it appear to be a very early model and/or a one off is that there is no model # on the top of the headstock, and has a rosewood fingerboard.
The natural finish is interesting too while they did come in a natural (clear finish) I've never seen what appears to be a dark stained finish. The wool almost appears to be rosewood tho I'd say judging from the grain pattern its Ash.

I have an issue of Frets Magazine from July 1978 and in the back under New Products they show a blurb for the Sabre.
It reads -

Music Man Inc. has announced a new guitar. 'The Sabre" which will incorporate many of the patented features of its predecessor, "The Stingray"
It will also feature a contoured body that is both smaller and lighter than traditional designs. Other features include a new cast bridge assembly, tapered string post, a new truss rod design, and newly-designed neck tilt mechanism. Standard finishes include natural, sunburst, walnut, black, white, and silver, all solid rock maple necks with Schaller machine heads. For more information write Music Man Inc. P.O. BOX 4589 Anaheim, CA 92803.

Other folks here have gone into the workings of how Music Man Inc. operated back in the day… and yes technically the guitars were made by Leo but by another company and then sold to Music Man. Craig probably can provide the inks to these posts or you could also find them via google.

Congrats on an interesting find!

Cheers,
KF

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:56 pm

Katefan wrote:COol Axe you have there. It looks to me to be a very early 1978 Music Man Sabre tho it could be a prototype of sorts or one-off. My guess is the latter.
The reason I say this is because it does have a S/N stamped on the bridge plate. I have a blonde Sabre I from 1978 with a similar S/N starting with A0.
What makes it appear to be a very early model and/or a one off is that there is no model # on the top of the headstock, and has a rosewood fingerboard.
The natural finish is interesting too while they did come in a natural (clear finish) I've never seen what appears to be a dark stained finish. The wool almost appears to be rosewood tho I'd say judging from the grain pattern its Ash.

I have an issue of Frets Magazine from July 1978 and in the back under New Products they show a blurb for the Sabre.
It reads -

Music Man Inc. has announced a new guitar. 'The Sabre" which will incorporate many of the patented features of its predecessor, "The Stingray"
It will also feature a contoured body that is both smaller and lighter than traditional designs. Other features include a new cast bridge assembly, tapered string post, a new truss rod design, and newly-designed neck tilt mechanism. Standard finishes include natural, sunburst, walnut, black, white, and silver, all solid rock maple necks with Schaller machine heads. For more information write Music Man Inc. P.O. BOX 4589 Anaheim, CA 92803.

Other folks here have gone into the workings of how Music Man Inc. operated back in the day… and yes technically the guitars were made by Leo but by another company and then sold to Music Man. Craig probably can provide the inks to these posts or you could also find them via google.

Congrats on an interesting find!

Cheers,
KF

Good eye you guys! I didnt even notice it there! It reads: A001904

Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Well, that's the same place Leo put the S/N on early G&L's.
My Sabre is A004406 so yeah, your's is an early one.

Cheers,
KF

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:11 pm

That's a very nice looking guitar. My guess is that the body was refinished and had a dark stain applied. My '77 Stingray Bass had gold finish applied over natural gloss very early in its life, and the places where dings revealed the original finish are much lighter than yours. I've seen a similar shade on early ash G&Ls that were refinished.

Ken