NAD

Thu May 26, 2016 11:14 am

I was craving a tube combo amp for the purpose of blues jams, with some mellow "fat grind", also good cleans. I think i found the right one in the Carvin Nomad 112. They're selling for $100 off and throw in a free foot switch for channel switching and reverb/effects loop. At 50 watts it has alot of headroom, which makes it a good amp for club gigs. Channel one is very clean, nice voice, very responsive eq bass/mid/treb, also has "acoustic presence" on the back panel for this channel that accentuates the high freq's, in lieu of a bright switch. Channel 2 has a "soak" gain control, channel vol and the 3 eq's. there is a dsp master reverb that is nice. Channel 2 needs alot of treble, and back off the bass. Soak gives nice, but not excessive grind at about 4. So far I'm really liking it, sounds especially nice with the ASAT.

Re: NAD

Thu May 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Very nice rig John! -- Darwin

Fri May 27, 2016 6:07 am

Carvin's VT series are real nice amps , congrats !! .... that didn't take you long , lol

Fri May 27, 2016 12:44 pm

darwinohm wrote:Very nice rig John! -- Darwin

thx Darwin, it's quite different from other tube amps i've owned.
i set the bass at "1" on the "soak" channel, and that's more than enough.
EQ really needs to be customized based on the guitar/pups i'm using.
nice to have the option of an extension speaker cab as well.

Fri May 27, 2016 12:50 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:Carvin's VT series are real nice amps , congrats !! .... that didn't take you long , lol

:lol: yeah i wanted to take advantage of the sale/foot switch thing, maybe it's a memorial day sale.
it sure is alot different than the V3m! it nails the blues vibe well. tons of power. very portable.
i think i won't pursue any mods for now, but i have checked out the hasserl video sounds interesting.
expensive to ship an amp though

Fri May 27, 2016 7:13 pm

V3m and the VT series are totally different , no searching days for something good , only takes but a few seconds with the Vintage series

Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:09 am

I always thought Carvin did a good job with the Vintage series amps. Nothing like a new toy to keep the juices flowing!

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:50 pm

fianoman wrote:I always thought Carvin did a good job with the Vintage series amps. Nothing like a new toy to keep the juices flowing!

The Nomad has been fun to fool around with, and sounds way different than my other amps.
last night i put an eminence 'cannabis rex' speaker in it (switched it out from a peavey amp i have) as some have said the CR makes a big difference in the sound of the amp. i didn't notice much, but that's just in the basement. will see how it is the next time i take it out to play. definitely a nice amp for blues, and for a small amp, it has great headroom.