NGD - Little Martin 24th Anniversary

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:26 pm

Howdy campers,

For the married guys in the crowd here is another reason to strive for a long marriage. My wife and I just celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary and the actual gift for 24 years is "musical instrument". My wife did ask if I hacked all web sites to get that put in.

While I did provide a list of a few ASAT's, she said she wanted to give me something, different from "all the other guitars I have", and one I can take with me on my travels. As I do travel A LOT with my work. So, now I have this great Little Martin LX1E. :banana: Great sounding little guitar, and even richer when plugged into an amp. Very pleased with the tone in general, and hey, Ed Sheeran plays one. ;)

So what instrument did I give? She has been looking at Djembe's for a long time, so I contacted Billy at Skinnybeats in Ashville, NC and he helped me out with this beautiful professional Djembe from Guinea. Made of Khadi wood and some beautiful burl on the top with a fresh goat head. For those into percussion instruments he can set you up. :alright:

Looks like a musical week ahead for this "old married couple" :happy0065:

Re: NGD - Little Martin 24th Anniversary

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:49 pm

congrats !!

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:51 am

Nice little acoustic. Is it real small or just like a student type model? I have been looking for another acoustic guitar and that may suit my needs. Where do they make those these days. I see it's made from some interesting wood and I believe even a composite neck. What do you think about this composite?

Martin guitars have always seemed to have a solid reputation.

BTW...anyone not hitting that 24th anniversary, the fifth anniversary gift is wood so guitars make a good present for that!!

Tom

Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:39 pm

Thanks guys.

Tom, the top of this one is solid Sitka and the laminate mahogany back and neck are surprisingly resonate. It is a 23" scale and I honestly do not know how that translates to student models. I'm a Martin fan, as my other Martin is a D-41. My wife thinks the little guy sounds as good as the old US Guild D-4, solid mahogany. As always YMMV

I love the fifth anniversary idea. Heck yeah, guitars are made of wood. :alright:

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:22 pm

Both them musical gifts looks nice! :banana:

Congratulations on 24 years. :clap:

Cheers, Dan

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:26 pm

Congrats on 24 Sam, wonderful Mrs. to think of you. What did you get her? That little Martin looks to be similar to a baby Taylor. -- Darwin

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:55 pm

Thanks "double D" - Dan and Darwin,

Darwin, yep this pretty much Martin's equivalent of the baby Taylor. The djembe drum above was on her list, may have to start a reggae band now. ;)

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Well done sir ! I have sometimes contemplated trading my Gibson for a Martin. Happy 24th wedding anniversary !