ebay seller Gibsondependable parting out G&L's

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:33 pm

I guess what G&L's this guy doesn't get his hands on will be worth more, since he is steadily depleting the supply.

I know it's futile to expect any change since it's a big world, however I'm all for voting for the good guys with my dollars.
Maybe someone reading this will avoid Mr GibsonDependable and support someone with higher standards.

I've seen dozens of 90's-00's G&Ls get parted out by this guy. He's actively buying any used G&L
from that era that is about 650 or under.
That's gotta piss off a few guitarists that were hoping to get a good G&L on the used market.

I wasn't gonna say anything , because the free market is just that.
But this 2001 Comanche had been advertised with a twisted neck in the original auction.
Mr GibsonDespicable has it advertised as straight ( and at $329? ).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-2001-USA-Ro ... SwwpdW8u4y

Here's the original auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-G-L-C ... SwZQxW4PS2

If I put up any G&L's for sale...I'm going to block the sucker :fighting0030:

Re: ebay seller Gibsondependable parting out G&L's

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:14 pm

+1

- Jos

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:36 pm

I wanted to bring up this thread again, as this seller does seem to provide an endless stream of (mostly 90s) G&L parts. My thoughts:

1. I find it scary that a guitar was purchased with a potentially warped neck and then the neck was resold without such a description. Of course, there is a chance that the neck was not actually warped, and, granted, the seller does have a 30 day return policy.... but it really reinforces the "buyer beware" mantra.

2. On the other hand, I find it very exciting that it is possible to get some of these parts. Especially when it comes to older parts that G&L does not currently offer (3 bolt necks, black crinkle hardware, old control plates, pickups, etc.)

3. I find it surprising that the seller(s) doing this are making much money. I did the numbers for a recent example ('95 ASAT Special): As parts, the typical asking prices are:
neck: $280
body: $170
pickups: $120
bridge: $70
neck plate: $25
tuners: $40
electronics: $45
case: $50
This totals $800. After fees , you are looking at ~$770. On reverb right now, there are ten 90s ASAT specials, with only a couple in the $800 range, none below $800, and most in the $1000+ range. So, one would need to get a pretty good deal in order to make this profitable. If he is truly buying good quality, older G&Ls for $650 or less, and is happy with the $120 profit to disassemble them and sell the parts, then more power to him, I guess. But I fear that these good deals may be due to defects which are not being communicated to the end buyer...

Thanks for letting me vent... any other thoughts?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:50 pm

I'm with Sam and Jos. The only reason a guitar should be disassembled and sold as parts is if it has an irreparable flaw on some part - twisted neck being a great example. The ruined part goes in the bin, the rest gets sold off. I can't imagine the market for G&L parts is that huge, so seems a pointless exercise. IMO.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:15 am

I don't like the fact that people are parting out G&Ls, but I kind of expect that anytime an original manufacturer doesn't cater to their own aftermarket by making new replacement parts available for older product models.

I know a lot of players buy new guitars, but I've only ever purchased one new guitar (back in '88) - the rest have been used. I guess I see those guys that part out guitars as performing a much needed community service. It's sad that it has to be that way, but unless G&L starts supporting their older models with replacement parts (and they won't), this is only going to continue.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:20 am

Damn...they got their dirty hands on an '83 bass...
...basstards!

/rant

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:56 am

Elwood wrote:Damn...they got their dirty hands on an '83 bass...
...basstards!

/rant

My previous post should have included this exception - "except when it is my memories that are being disassembled and sold of piece meal" - because that is a gnawing soul pain that anyone who has ever loved their guitar can sympathize with. Whether it is our guitar, or one like it. We can certainly sympathize.

Tue May 11, 2021 3:19 pm

Gibsondependable !? I bought two pieces from him, I found only one in the package and he refused to refund despite checking it was true! he made me "dance" for 3 months saying he was investigating and I lost $ 324 ...A real thief crook...!!!