Incoming!

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:01 pm

Well with the sale of my big fat jazz box I was looking for something jazz but more versatile.
I've had several semi-hollows over the years but this particular model is one I've been after.
Low and behold one showed up at the same time I had cash in hand. That never happens. Anyway,
it's '98 Ibanez As180. Most of this series was made in Korea and now are made in China.
This model was made in their Japan factory and is a big cut above.
Looking forward to it!

Re: Incoming!

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:49 pm

Looks really nice, Jazzrat! Do you already have it, or it's on its way?

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:59 pm

just completed the deal and it's on it's way.
Pretty amazing shape for a 98

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:12 pm

Jazzrat, that is a sweet looking Ibanez. I have always liked the quality of the guitars made in Japan. That one looks in pristine condition. Good catch! :happy0065:

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:10 am

My G&L is a '98 and I got it 2-years ago, so it was 10 yrs old at the time. It was also in amazing shape...those are the kinds of deals that are just a lot of fun to find!!

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:40 am

That's a beautiful Ibanez, with a great burst finish. I've heard that some of those Ibanez have great playing necks. I'll have to try one someday, as I'm a confirmed neck man. Congrat's.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:40 pm

MrRoundel wrote:That's a beautiful Ibanez, with a great burst finish. I've heard that some of those Ibanez have great playing necks. I'll have to try one someday, as I'm a confirmed neck man. Congrat's.

Thanks, I've had two of the Korean ones, a MIC ArtCore Custom, and a 1981 AS100 MIJ. All played really great.
I'm with you. If it plays nice and has a good straight, stable neck it's a keeper. I can appreciate the search for perfect tone but I'm a little backward...
It's got to play nice first.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Sooo????????

Did you get that beautiful guitar? How do you like it?
My brother has an ES-335 dot reissue from the mid-eighties, and it's a great guitar. I'd love to A/B that one with yours. Knowing what I know about Japanese-made instruments, I'm sure the Ibanez would more than hold its own.

Hey, I don't play any jazz, but every time I pick up this Japanese-made guitar of mine, I can't help wonder how it might suit the jazz musician. Ever try one of these? I absolutely love this guitar! Looking forward to hearing about yours. - ed

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:58 pm

Did you get that beautiful guitar? How do you like it?
My brother has an ES-335 dot reissue from the mid-eighties, and it's a great guitar. I'd love to A/B that one with yours. Knowing what I know about Japanese-made instruments, I'm sure the Ibanez would more than hold its own.

Not here yet...should be mid-week. The mid 80's 335s were some fine guitars. The new ones I've had....not so much. That's really what drove the purchase
of this guitar....not being able to find a 335 that was a decent guitar at a reasonable price.
Everyone says the Ibanez guitars out of the Japanese factory easily hold their own. I've had one before so I'm expecting it to be great.

Great looking Tele! I love those pickups. I had a Fender with those in the late 70's that sounded terrific!
With the lack of jazz gigs these days I'm mostly just playing at home and church so versatility it what I'm after.