A couple of recent purchases...

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:01 pm

First, I was looking for a VERY portable acoustic amplifier for intimate gigs (no drums or bass) at venues where amplification has to be low to zero. Zero amplification doesn't work for me on acoustic because an acoustic guitar can't compete with an accordion and/or horns. Took me a while, but I found the AAD (Phil Jones) Cub AG-100. This is a GREAT little (11 lbs) acoustic amp. I've gigged with it several times and LOVE it! Look it up, read the reviews, check out the YouTube vids--but trust me, for what it is, this is a GREAT sounding acoustic amplifier. If I needed something more beefy I'd drop the change on the Cub's bigger brother, the Super Cub, in a second. I've also got the stand so my mini acoustic rig looks just like the company photo:

http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?c=7

And, I'm totally addicted to my Lowden so I decided to buy it a travel case--a custom Calton. I just this weekend ordered one like this:

It's called "Ode to Pollock" after the artist Jackson Pollock. Somehow it's fits my personality. :-)

Peace...

GDub

Re: A couple of recent purchases...

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:40 pm

GDub wrote:And, I'm totally addicted to my Lowden so I decided to buy it a travel case--a custom Calton. I just this weekend ordered one like this:

It's called "Ode to Pollock" after the artist Jackson Pollock. Somehow it's fits my personality. :-)

Peace...

GDub

That is some cool looking case. Congrats! :happy0065:

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:34 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:That is some cool looking case. Congrats! :happy0065:

Thanks! I've been wanting a Calton case for the Lowden ever since I bought it. When I recently saw a couple of versions of the "Pollock" finish I could no longer resist. I ordered the tried and true fiberglass model--the new carbon fiber Caltons 20% lighter but are a couple hundred bucks more. Caltons are expensive, but they are basically bullet proof so I'll be able to travel with my Lowden without the worry of it getting damaged by clumsy baggage handlers.

Peace...

GDub

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:52 pm

GDub wrote: Caltons are expensive, but they are basically bullet proof so I'll be able to travel with my Lowden without the worry of it getting damaged by clumsy baggage handlers.

Yeah, as far as I know you buy one and it will last you a lifetime. Are the dimension of a Lowden generic enough that it would also fit other guitars you either have or may appear in your future? I mean, most dreadnoughts basically have the same dimensions irrespective whether it's a Martin, Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, etc. But I seem to remember that a Lowden generally doesn't adhere to these specs.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:40 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Yeah, as far as I know you buy one and it will last you a lifetime. Are the dimension of a Lowden generic enough that it would also fit other guitars you either have or may appear in your future? I mean, most dreadnoughts basically have the same dimensions irrespective whether it's a Martin, Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, etc. But I seem to remember that a Lowden generally doesn't adhere to these specs.

As far as I know Lowden dreads are different--fortunately, they had a D-32s measurements on file so I didn't have to do all the measuring and the tracing. My inner gearhead thinks if one wants a Calton that is a perfect fit it's better to mate the case with the guitar rather than hope for a one size fits all. Close enough is probably fine, but if I had two dreads I loved equally I'd no doubt get a custom fitted Calton for each. Call me crazy! ;-)

Peace...

GDub