St Pats Day GAS

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:58 am

I'm sure there was a lot of GAS on St Pats day. I had it and here is my story. I came home with a 1988 Fender Tanqueray Strat. This is a model that was made for the Tanqueray Gin Co. to give to employees or distributers, (which, I am not sure) as a second place prize in a contest. There were more than 100 or less than 250 built in 1988 when Fender was all tooled up again to make guitars. These were not sold to the public and are quite a rare find. This one is in excellent condition and I am a lucky man. The stars had to have been aligned properly as Ginny gave her luke warm approval and it was at home by St Pats evening. I had to do a one in and one out on the wall as there are only so many spaces. Les got the boot and in now on the rack with some Fenders. The G&L brood has taken over the wall anyway. If you liked the old GLDP forum you will like the color of this one!

I had these pictures upright but get do not know how they will be when I post.

That my story--- Darwin

Re: St Pats Day GAS

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Hi. I found this thread searching the internet for more information about these Tanqueray Strats. I hope you don't mind me chiming in.

I have one of these limited-edition 1988 Tanqueray Tonic Green Fender Stratocasters. Mine is in mint condition as I hardly used it since I bought it (I had other guitars). I bought it in 1988 (summertime if I recall--it was a warm, sunny day) for $400 from an elderly couple who won it in a liquor promotion they entered at their local store. The guitars were given away as part of a promotion to commemorate the Prince's Trust charity event in England. 100 of these guitars were given away as the second place prize, so I don't imagine too many more than that were manufactured. These Tanqueray guitars were not available in stores. The only way to get one was to win it or buy it from a winner as I did. The color of the guitar is keyed to the green color of a Tanqueray Gin bottle. The first place prize was a trip to the Prince's Trust event with Prince Charles and the third place prize was a Tanqueray Fender mirror such as this one:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/t ... r-76380904

When I bought the guitar, the seller told me it was a limited-edition guitar. That didn't factor into my buying decision too much because back then, new Fender Strats were selling for $750 - $800 and they were asking only half the price of a new one. It was a good deal.

I have shown the guitar to a few knowledgeable guitar players over the years and none of them had ever seen a Strat that color. Not only is it a rare color, but the guitar has a great tone, much better than my other Strat from 1990.

It has been quite interesting finding out about this guitar. It's like being part of this little club of people who have something hardly anyone else has. It sat in a case for 22 years until recently when I considered selling it to raise some cash. Given the rarity of this guitar and the story behind it, there is no way I am going to sell it. I've held on it for 22 years and I can hold on to it for a while longer.

Anyway, that's about all I have to say. Thanks for reading this.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:35 am

Gutterking, what a story. It is good to know that another one in such good condition exists. They indeed are great sounding and I also have an 88 Strat Plus in pristine condition. The Tango Strat gets a lot of comments. There was a Clapton model in lime green which it is often mistaken for. These Tangos are as good as they get. Mine is also in excellent condition and shows no signs of play wear. What kind of case came with yours. Mine has a rectangular molded case which looks period correct but I have no way of knowing if it is the original. You have made my day. Thanks so much--- Darwin

Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:17 pm

darwinohm, thanks for your reply. To let you know, the Tanqueray Strats did not come in a case. They were delivered to the prize winners in a cheap, triangular cardboard box. There was no Fender logo or printing of any kind on the box. So I didn't keep it. It was a guitar in a cardboard box with a foam ribbon of sorts which lined the edge of the guitar to prevent it from rubbing against the side of the box. I believe there was a thin foam sheet for the bottom and top of the guitar, too.

As I said, I got it from the prize winner just as he got it. I ended up buying another used Fender Strat a few years later that came with a case and ended up sticking the Tanqueray in that case.

It was nice chatting with you. :)

Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Thanks Gutterking, I suspect that many of these ended up in the UK but I am not sure. Are you from the UK by any chance? I failed to tell you that the place where I bought this had no idea what this thing was. It was an ugly, Green, guitar to them that no one would buy. I bought it extremely right and discovered what it was when I did some research on it. This has happened with several of the G&Ls that I have. The previous owners had no idea what they had and I find out after I buy and then do some research. --- Darwin

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Oh, that is a nice color. I'm still looking for a green one; maybe do a refin job. I've got some Absolut and Hieneken stuff, but no guitar.

Cheers,

Will

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:35 pm

willross wrote:Oh, that is a nice color. I'm still looking for a green one; maybe do a refin job. I've got some Absolut and Hieneken stuff, but no guitar.

Cheers,

Will

Better get your eyes checked :happy0007: . Some cool stories here, but those guitars are uggy :shocked003: . Can't account for taste I suppose :fighting0030: And we're off! :mrgreen:

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:24 pm

darwinohm wrote:Thanks Gutterking, I suspect that many of these ended up in the UK but I am not sure. Are you from the UK by any chance?

No, I'm not from United Kingdom. I'm in Minnesota, USA, and that is where I bought the guitar from the winner back in 1988. He won it by entering the contest at his local liquor store.

Also, I don't believe the guitars came with tremolo bars (I've also read this elsewhere). I have one tremolo bar, but I can't remember if I got it with the Tanqueray or with the other Strat I bought later. Somebody (MrMark) who says he won one of the Tanqueray Stratocasters discusses this on the Fender board:

http://www.fender.com/community/forums/ ... 018#177018

MrMark wrote:There was no information with my guitar not even a case. It came in a cardboard box. I had to buy a vibrato handle.

That's because they were a custom production run.

darwinohm wrote:I failed to tell you that the place where I bought this had no idea what this thing was.

Where did you buy it? You aren't in the UK, are you? You should tell them what they sold you. :) It would have to be a pretty neglectful guitar seller to not do some research into what he sells just in case he's got something rare.

darwinohm wrote:It was an ugly, Green, guitar to them that no one would buy.

It's a green green. It's a solid green. Not a light green, lime green, sparkly green or metallic green. Just green. I would not call it ugly. It's a nice looking guitar. In fact, I've read people saying they liked the color a lot on various boards. It's not a typical color, however, because it was keyed to the color of the Tanqueray Gin bottle. But it is that rare color that makes it interesting and a budding collector item.

darwinohm wrote:I bought it extremely right and discovered what it was when I did some research on it. This has happened with several of the G&Ls that I have. The previous owners had no idea what they had and I find out after I buy and then do some research. --- Darwin

I didn't know exactly what mine was until I started looking for information in early November. I was told by the seller that it was a "limited edition". Other than that 22-year-old conversation with an senior citizen who didn't know anything about guitars, I didn't know much else.

As far as sellers not knowing what stuff is, their lack of knowledge is your gain. Every now and again you read a story about somebody who bought something at a garage sale for $5 and they discover that it is worth a whole lot more.

I'm not sure about values on these Tanquerays (since there have been very few sold the past 5 years that I could find to establish a value). I do know there are not many of them out there and I've seen values bandied about that they could be worth anywhere from $700 (way too low) to $3,000 (probably a bit high) in excellent condition. There have been a few sold in recent years. I made a note that one sold for $1,250 U.S. Dollars but I neglected to save the URL of the webpage or note the condition. The other ones mentioning sales do not mention a price. And the ones that were sold were not in excellent condition. One had the usual nicks and dings on the body and headstock (you couldn't tell from the pictures, it was mentioned in the description) and one had been modified into a lefty with peg holes drilled and filled (asking price was $800).

http://www.sheltonsguitars.com/2008/1-2 ... 22-08.html
http://www.iclassifieds.com/forsale/mus ... green.html
http://www.eriemusic.ca/FenderTanqStrat1998.html
http://www.mainstreetvintageco.com/cata ... 175466.htm

By the way, here's a picture of my guitar. Someone stole my picture and used it for a Craigslist ad up in Canada. But this one is mine. I've got more pictures.

Given the rare custom color keyed to the gin bottle, the cross promotion tying it to the Prince's Trust, and the guitar's unavailability in stores (only contest winners got one), it is worth something and whatever it is, it is likely to keep increasing as time goes on. I'm sure there are people out there playing these guitars and not treating them with the respect that a scarce guitar deserves. Of the thousands and thousands of Stratocasters manufactured and sold, there are only about 100 or so of these Tanquerays. There probably are not a whole lot in excellent condition.

I'm holding on to mine.

I found the one that sold with an asking price of $1,250:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-strat- ... -tanqueray

Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:09 pm

Gutterking, what a coincidence! There are two of these Tango Strats in the state of Minnesota. I live in the Mpls/StP area. I will do some more research using the links that you have supplied. Mine isn't going anywhere either.-- Darwin

Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:32 pm

I used to be quite the fan of Tanqueray (especially with Schweppes)! :luv:

This is an interseting thread: like a detective story!

:PCrevenge:

Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:11 pm

Standards Guy, this is a pretty cool story as these Tango Strats are rare, have an interesting history and drinking Tangos and Tonic is a pastime loved by many. My last episode with Tango and Tonic was at Lord Fletchers, here in Minnetonka in about 1994. A bunch of us were on a motorcycle ride a on fine summer day and we ended up at Lord Fletchers by the lake. They called them Tangos and we were thirsty. Ginny has her own Motorcycle so we were solo. A friend of mine happened to be entertaining at the Lords that day and entertained us thoroughly at our table. The Tangos flowed, I know we had fun and I have not had a Tango since. That Tango Green is kind of how I was the next morning. Anyway, that Tango Green is a cool color and could end up as the next hot color. Will Ross commented that it is a cool color. Sirmy, a young dude on this board thought it was a terrible color. Now, how do we transform the appreciation of beauty into these young fellers now days? I am open to ideas. :evilgrin: --- Darwin

Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:51 pm

darwinohm wrote:...Now, how do we transform the appreciation of beauty into these young fellers now days? I am open to ideas. :evilgrin: --- Darwin

Well, the whole "custom colors" thing started with Fender and DuPont car paint I think?
My guess is that to get "cred" with newer generations it takes what Madison Ave figured out: transfer of authority, wherein an actor or other celebrity gets visible with that color, and launches a fad. Maybe a Hollywood Chihuahua movie where they dye the dogs Tanqueray green? :idea:

So what motorcycle was it? I used to ride on the street for about 25 years. In fact, we rode out to Reno on my ol' 650 twin Yamaha and got married at the County Courthouse for $9 (35 years ago)! Some of those were green and white, but my '72 XS-650 was red and white. It wanted to be a Triumph real bad, but handled like a wheelbarrow (managed to leave puddles of oil though, very authentically)! :angel:

Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm

Standards Guy, there were a lot of cool Motorcycles in the old days, Back in the 50s a friend of mine had a Triumph. I had a 1949 Harley 45 Police Special. It was a dog but it got me were I was going. I was 13 years old and we didn't worry about a drivers license back then. A friend of mine had a Harley 74, probably 1952. I rode with him (passenger) 110 MPH down a gravel road. Bullet proof at that age we were. I have a 1990 Gold Wing 1500 that I have 148,000 miles on. It is still like new. Ginny rides a Honda V45 Magna which has 55,000 on it. We have traveled a lot on the motorcycles and really enjoy it. Here is a photo of my rear tire that lost some rubber at 95 mph this fall. I think I need a new one-- Darwin

Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:00 pm

Wow!
kA-CHUNK!

I had a rear flat once on a twisty local highway once. Pretty squirrely moments!

My first ride was with a neighbor on a Duo-Glide, c 1959. I was hooked at age nine!

Haven't had a streetbike in ages, but was campaigning a '64 Hodaka Ace 90 in the local 40+ Motocross Group a few years ago. My youngest used to roost me with his Elsinore (that thing was FAST for a 125)! But I could keep him blocked on a flat-track.
Sadly it's gotten prohibitively expensive to ride dirt anymore around here: have to travel for miles and miles to find hassle free space at an OHV Park.
We have friends who still ride (my wife grew up on Harlies), but between medical tsunami's we just haven't been able to keep up.
I once rode from Washington State to Boulder on my Yammie. That seat felt like a concrete block halfway through the first day. Next time: a Goldwing or Valkyrie. :idea:

Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:56 pm

darwinohm wrote:Gutterking, what a coincidence! There are two of these Tango Strats in the state of Minnesota. I live in the Mpls/StP area. I will do some more research using the links that you have supplied. Mine isn't going anywhere either.-- Darwin

I live in the Twin Cities, too. I bought the guitar in White Bear Lake 22 years ago.

You did not mention which store you bought yours at. Being local, I am more curious now than ever. I am wondering where they got it from, if it originated in the Twin Cities or outside the state of Minnesota.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:51 pm

Gutterking, I just discovered that I hadn't answered your post. I bought it at the Roseville GC and I am going there this weekend. I will ask and see if they remember where it came from. If I recall correctly I believe that it had came from another GC store because it hadn't sold. If they don't sell used gear in a prescribed time period it goes to another GC store to try again. Darwin

Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:24 am

Thanks for the reply, Darwin. I've been to that Guitar Center store many times. It's not as nice as their old store on Snelling. I wasn't aware that Guitar Center was selling used guitars (I haven't been there for a few years). That guitar of yours could have possibly come from out of state. There cannot be too many of those guitars in Minnesota. Maybe you and I have the only two.

It is quite a coincidence, though, that I not only found your post about your Tanqueray, but that we live in the same metropolitan area. Small world...

If I had the time and money, I would love to get into collecting vintage and rare guitars. Back in 1987, I was going to by an old Gibson SG from the 1960s in decent condition (I think the asking price was $175 or $200) but I bought a pretty well used (and unfortunately badly modified) Les Paul instead. Now I wish I would have bought the old SG as it would be worth a lot more than what I did buy. Some of those old Les Pauls and Fender Stratocasters from the 1950s are selling anywhere from $50,000 and up. It would be quite an exhilarating feeling to find something rare and possibly valuable that the seller has no clue what it is. Kind of like you did with your Tanqueray (which should increase in value over time). There have to be a lot of guitars out there sitting in closets and in basements that haven't been touched in decades. I know there are one or two guitar shops in the Twin Cities that specialize in old and collectible guitars and sell them to famous players like Eric Clapton. I don't know how one would get into the collectible guitar pipeline to start.

I'll check back every now and again to see if you've posted any updates. I am curious to learn more about your guitar. So, thanks a lot for taking the time to discuss yours with me.

If you want a little chuckle, Dave's Guitar in Lacrosse, WI, is asking $190,000 for a 1960 Gibson Les Paul which is not entirely original. That's crazy.

http://davesguitar.com/gibson/les-paul-60-13176.asp

This blog says that 1958 to 1960 Les Pauls are selling worth $240,000 to $420,000.

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/200 ... ndard.html

That seems a little extreme to me.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:28 am

gutterking wrote:I don't know how one would get into the collectible guitar pipeline to start.

I don't know who made the original quip but it would be similar to this: "The become a millionaire, first get a million dollars ... "

- Jos

Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:48 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
gutterking wrote:I don't know how one would get into the collectible guitar pipeline to start.

I don't know who made the original quip but it would be similar to this: "The become a millionaire, first get a million dollars ... "

- Jos

I've been scratching me head all morning wondering how a little guitar shop in La Crosse, Wisconsin, gets its hands on so many vintage guitars. The owner's personal collection (not for sale) boasts almost 400 guitars, including some real rare ones like a Gibson Explorer and Flying V. And, of course, a lot of old Fenders and a few Les Pauls.

http://davesguitar.com/collection/standard/

His collection must easily be worth $1,000,000, if not more.

Interesting to look at.