Cool...Love my Legacy but I have others........

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Eastman Ar803Ce
Eric Johnson Strat
Rare hardtail Parker Fly with factory Duncans

Re: Cool...Love my Legacy but I have others........

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:12 am

Man, these are terrific. I'd like to hear your opinion of that EJ compared to a Legacy.
And you don't see too many hardtail Fly models either. Nice score.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:37 am

ieso wrote:Man, these are terrific. I'd like to hear your opinion of that EJ compared to a Legacy.
And you don't see too many hardtail Fly models either. Nice score.

thanks...I've sorted through probably 30 guitars of all makes in the last couple years and I'm down to this core group (along with my bass and classical).
I've had 3, 2-tone EJ's and one 3-tone Wildwood Limited EJ. This is the best of them. Very nice guitar with a vintage vibe but they also have some nice modern appointments.
Comparison to my Legacy.....
I know this sounds like I'm a fan boy but the Legacy doesn't take a back seat to any strat I've had including a Custom Shop '56 I sold last year.
The bi-cut neck profile on my '06 is very similar to the nice beefy neck on the EJ's. Since both have a 12" radius I can go back and forth with no readjustment time.
The nitro on the EJ however is very sticky compared to the poly on my Legacy. The whole nitro vs. poly thing is a little lost on me. My ears are probably not that good.

The Parker is also the best of 4 or 5 I've had. I'm not wild about the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Dimarzio's most of the older ones have. This one is rare in that is was a '02 Custom Shop order with a Duncan Jazz and '59 combo. Sound like the best SG you ever heard, and the piezo is nice when I need that.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm not a fan of nitro finishes either. I used to have them on a couple of guitars that I gigged with and I'd use a lot of baby powder (corn starch) to keep my hands dry but I'd get through one set and people would see me at the bar with all this white powder all over my shirt and hands :oops: Look, they say, it's the biggest coke head in history :happy0007:

Yeah, the Parker-Dimarzio marriage was not one that made many people happy. I replaced the bridge pup in my NF SA with a Harmonic Design Z-90 -- now it sounds utterly fantastic. I can't recommend that pickup enough.

thanks for the info.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:47 pm

The NiteFly is a fine guitar! I actually prefer the neck the the skinny one on the Fly.
I had a NiteFly Alder for a while. Great playing guitar.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:13 pm

jazzrat wrote:The NiteFly is a fine guitar! I actually prefer the neck the the skinny one on the Fly.
I had a NiteFly Alder for a while. Great playing guitar.

And the frets are actually taller on the NF than on the Fly. I may have mentioned this before but I went shopping for a Fly, had the money in my 'pocket' but tried the NF on a whim and just couldn't get over the neck.