Tommy

Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:12 pm

I caught a 2.5 hr set by Tommy Emmanuel last night. Have not listened to him before. One guy with an acoustic guitar, what an amazingly talented, gifted guitarist and quite the entertainer with his down-under sense of humor. He filled the hall with wonderful sounds, and acoustic chops the likes of which I haven't seen - recently ( I did catch one of the mclaughlin/dimeola/delucia concerts in '78 and that was certainly memorable). Any fans of Tommy out there? He has quite a discography.

Re: Tommy

Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:01 pm

My wife and I saw him a few years ago. Amazing talent doing it all by himself. The guitar is way more than a guitar in his hands. Before him I had never seen anyone bend an nacoustic guitar neck before. First, I don't know how he manages to bend it, second, I don't know how it doesn't snap when he does it.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:14 pm

Tommy is a lot like G&L ,, so many people just don't know what there missing,,,,,
Check out some of his playing on youtube,,, simply amazing,,

Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:43 am

Welcome to Berklee,, Tommy , utube , almost essential viewing for all i think,, the best say he's the best and its hard to argue with them.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:01 am

Incredible talent. Would love to see him live. It just seems effortless when he plays.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:24 am

Seeing Tommy live is a great experience. About 5 years ago, I took my wife to a show and at the time she knew nothing about him and me basically nothing more than that he was one of a few CGPs. We were treated to humor, laughs, stage presence, and of course chops up the wazzoo. We have not missed a show ever since.

- Jos

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Congratulations Dr. :thumbup:

Here's a segment with Tommy from TED talks "My Life As A One-Man Band" that is a fantastic overview of who he is and his playing style. I still haven't seen him live but will one day hopefully.

phpBB [video]

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:14 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, guys. Sam, the TED video is cool and he did a good bit of that as part of his show. Thanks for turning us on to that. He has an interesting story, and a big dose of God given talent. I did pull down his most recent studio record, with a nice batch of tunes, some of which he performed Friday. He also had an Australian Duo called WisherKeepers with him, and they played some inspiring and tight original tunes. If you get a chance, go see Tommy, well worth it!

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:37 am

Ahhhh, the fun you can have with a brother,,,,, check this out,,,, what a blast
phpBB [video]
Last edited by Craig on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin fixed youtube link to be in-line.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:29 am

Here's Tommy and Phil performing at the 2000 Olympics, playing "Back on Terra Firma" (Hellecaster's-John Jorgenson tune).
Notice that Phil is playing a G&L Comanche:

phpBB [video]

:ugeek:

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:38 am

Wow, thanks geoff and craig for these amazing videos. looks like the talent runs in the family!