BBE Sonic Stomp -- Mesa Lonestar effects loop question

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:45 am

As you may know from previous post I recently picked up a Sonic Stomp. I'm connecting it through the effects loop of my Mesa Lonestar Classic as the only pedal in the loop. As you probably know the Sonic Stomp has no "level" control as it does not introduce any gain.

See this excerpt from the Mesa manual:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/User%20 ... nestar.pdf

"3.) Adjust the SEND LEVEL control on the Rear Panel of the LONE STAR to achieve an adequate match on the INPUT level indicator
of your processor. Adjust the processor Output level stage (hopefully your processor has an OUTPUT LEVEL control) to match the
volume present before connecting the device(s) to the LONE STAR. You can check this by simply removing both the cables from the
SEND and RETURN simultaneously."

"First set sound with
LOOP bypassed. Then
set SEND & OUTPUT
to 50% for unity gain.
With LOOP IN, adjust
SEND to match FX.
Use OUTPUT for
RETURN level and
live volume control."

It shows a picture of the control knob for the level with the "normal" range from 10:00 to 2:00 and says to set it at 50% for unity gain.

Since this pedal does not introduce any gain per se should I set the level knob at 100% to get the optimum effect out of it? Is there any reason not to do this, or should I leave the control knob in the "normal" range?

Re: BBE Sonic Stomp -- Mesa Lonestar effects loop question

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:44 am

I have not used it in the effects loop. I always use it before the input to the amp. Maybe someone else had tried the effects loop. -- Darwin

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:21 am

adjust it how your ears like it .... I have always ran mine in front too

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:00 am

I don't know that it will do much in the effects loop. Unless you want to use it as a clean boost.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:23 am

Slick wrote:I don't know that it will do much in the effects loop. Unless you want to use it as a clean boost.

How will it act as a boost if it does not introduce any gain?

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:58 pm

mine doesn't boost ...... if anything it's closer to a EQ , but it's not a EQ

how do you like that Lonestar ???..... I keep finding myself gazing at the 100 watt head version of your amp and I been keeping a eye out on the local CL

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:10 pm

suave eddie wrote:
Slick wrote:I don't know that it will do much in the effects loop. Unless you want to use it as a clean boost.

How will it act as a boost if it does not introduce any gain?

Missed that part :)

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:37 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:mine doesn't boost ...... if anything it's closer to a EQ , but it's not a EQ

how do you like that Lonestar ???..... I keep finding myself gazing at the 100 watt head version of your amp and I been keeping a eye out on the local CL

The Lonestar is the best amp I've ever had. It's worth it for the cleans alone. If I recall, you play metal, so I'm not sure how the drive channel would work for that. It works fine for me. It's a heavy beast -- the head version would alleviate much of the weight.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:34 pm

suave eddie wrote:
Fumble fingers wrote:mine doesn't boost ...... if anything it's closer to a EQ , but it's not a EQ

The Lonestar is the best amp I've ever had. It's worth it for the cleans alone. If I recall, you play metal, so I'm not sure how the drive channel would work for that. It works fine for me. It's a heavy beast -- the head version would alleviate much of the weight.

thanks , I was afraid you would say it's the best amp ever ... and ... don't you dare post any pictures of it because I'm having a weak moment :) .... I play metal in the band I'm in :) and have a Dual Rectifier and a MK V for that , the Lonestar would be my home alone amp unless I sat in for somebody in another band that didn't play metal ...... Been digging the Mesa's lately , great , solid built amps

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:43 pm

[image]http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu228/suaveddie/Lonestar1_zps602193f4.jpg[/image]

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:59 pm

OH fugg