Flashbacks...

Tue May 11, 2010 7:40 pm

We (The Mad Maggies) have a new album out. It's called, Flashbacks - The Mad Maggies Play Vintage Hits. The album is a "one-off" of mostly cover tunes--we only recorded originals (with a few tweaked Irish trad tunes) on our first 3 albums. "Flashbacks" started off as a proposal to the band: "Pick a tune or song you would like to cover and we'll make an album." There's 8 people in the band so 8 covers + 1 original (to keep Maggie happy). ;-) Turned out to be a fun project, and we have a bunch of new material to throw into our live sets. The first tune on the album is called "Twine Time" by Alvin Cash and The Crawlers. Here you go:

Twine Time

That's me singing the "Ooh aahs" at the beginning and playing relentless chick chick... chank chanks on my Legacy through the Mesa Express 5:25. My solo was done on my Heritage H-137. As usual we recorded to 2" tape. This time we mixed digitally (normally we mix down to 1/4" tape), but we did very little tweaking other than add some effects, so the album is down and dirty.

Peace...

GDub

Re: Flashbacks...

Wed May 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Wow! The good ol' G&LDP is indeed dead! Guess it's time to move on like the rest of the old timers.

Wed May 12, 2010 7:33 pm

No, just wearing our hair a little different now...

Nice work.

Thu May 13, 2010 6:14 am

Sounds good, GDub! Question about the Express...how loud do you have it for this recording. I used to own the predecessor...the F-50. Had it for 4 years and it was a decent amp, but it's achille's heel was that it had be on the loud side for the overdriven/high gain tones to sound good...just a bit louder than practical for this basement banger.

Anyway, whatever you're doing is working...sounds great!

Sun May 16, 2010 11:37 pm

Hey GDub
Fun stuff to listen to and yeah I can imagine you had a blast putting it together. Nice selection of tracks too ... some I've never heard before. My money would be on Rudy being your puick. Yes? No?

As convenient as digital is, there's nothing like the warmth you get recording to tape, although it is becoming somthing of a dying art.

cheers, Robbie

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:03 pm

Naah, it ain't dead, it just took me this long to find the damn post with this new fangled format! love a band with a good farten horn section, and your ooh ahhs ani't bad either.