Quetions about a 1979 music man sabre 2 guitar

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:20 am

Hi all.

I bying a sabre 2. It's a sunburst. Pretty worn out. But I like that. It says 7th of May 1979 on the neck.

Pictures here: http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/thoma ... slideshow/

It seems to be Pretty modified, so I'd like to know whats is stock and what is not, but in general im interested in Any info you might have. 'Cause i know nothing about this one...

It has a music man vibrato system with a number A007185. I looks like this is actually made from the beginning but im not sure. the cutout seems vey pro. But all the pictures of sabre 2 i've seens is without vibrato systems.

The preamp has ben removed but it seems like the original pickups is actually on it, but wired for passive usage. Can this be true? I know very little of pickups and the posibillities with them.

The only controls on it are a threeway switch for choosing neck/bridge/mix, a volumen knob and some kind of tone control. not dark/light but more like pickup mix ratio, phase or something. The wires from both pickups goes to this second knob.
So only two knobs, a threeway pickup swicth and some holes where the original parts use to stick out.

It has cutout for a third humbucker. This seems homemade in the wood, but im not absolutly sure cause the plate hole is very pro. The pickup is gone so there is just a hole covered with some duck tape.

It sounds very gdod but really needs new frets.

How modyfied is it you tink, and what is stock features?

Any info would be great.

/Thomas
Europe
Last edited by mcskelle on Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Re: Quetions about 1979 music man sabre 2 guitar

Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:55 pm

Welcome,
Can you post a picture or a link?
Hopefully you can get a deal on it since it's been modded. Did you look under the pickguard to see if there is some
ugly routing etc. ?
I'd make sure everything was shielded well since it's now just a passive guitar.

I have a Sabre 2 pickguard if you decide you want to replace the one with the extra hole.(PM me if interested)

cheers,elwood

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:02 pm

Not sure How to post pictures.

Shielding sounds ok. Not much noise. I guess it should be possible to recreate the active setup. I've found schematics for the preamp and the rest Thats missing.

He's asking 750$

I'll write you with the pick guard if i buy the guitar.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:27 pm

mcskelle wrote:Not sure How to post pictures.

See Forum rules.

:ugeek:

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:40 pm

mcskelle wrote:He's asking 750$

This MM recently went for cheap :SOLD for 380,
...maybe you could negotiate the price down (or wait for the next one)?

There always early G&L F-100's...a little easier to find with vibrato's ( actually cheaper than the hardtails on the vintage market)
good luck!
elwood

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:48 pm

Thanx elwood - These Are interessting tips.

Sabre 2's on ebay seems much more expensive though - typically $1500+:

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Sabre ... +music+man

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:33 am

This post might be a good read for you, boogiebill talks about the differences between the 1's and 2's and general pricing too.
http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewt ... 149#p51149

Re: Quetions about a 1979 music man sabre 2 guitar

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:33 am

Thanks again.

Here are some pictures:

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/thoma ... slideshow/

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:36 am

It looks like a functional hackjob, not a factory job.
Sorta gotta give the guy credit for his creativity, but choosing to do that on an old Sabre
is a bit tragic.
You mention it needs a fretjob etc. - I would only pay around 350 (or what the sum of parts would bring).

here's a couple of your pics inline to entice others to chime in:

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:27 am

So are you saying, that sabre never was made with vibrato systems?

To me all the parts seems very old-ish, and its not done by the current owner (just a shop).

Perhapse the music man vibrato system is from 70-80'is - but added? The cutout for the vibrato is definetly done on maschine, wheras the hole for the third humbucker is definetly done in hand.

It's strange with instruments. The way it sound and looks and will work with new frets makes $750 kinda cheap for a Leo guitar from late 70'ies here in europe. The prices you mention, I cant find examples of when I look. Maybe these stayed in the US mostly so the european market has fewer, upping the prices...

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:14 am

I wanna recreate the active system since the original pickups Are still on. But I actually also like the sound of the current passive setup.

Does anybody know if the below orginal wiring has an on/off switch so the system goes passive. Or How i Can add such a feature?

https://www.google.dk/search?q=sabre+2+ ... KeuDDaM%3A

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:08 pm

It may have been done in the eighties, before the guitar would be seen as collectible .

I understand the draw to Leo era guitars, that's what brought many of us to play and love G&L's.
The market is soft now it seems, like this (probably '84-85) S-500 that is all there but with issues (repainted,non-original bridge,truss rod almost maxed out).

S-500 ,sold for 289

I wish I had bid on that one...what a deal :shocked003:

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:38 pm

Crazy!

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Oh god, that poor Sabre.
The bridge looks like the original plate. Someone has routed and added a block to it. As far as I know, Musician never came with a vibrato. If you're looking for a project, that would certainly be one. I wouldn't give more than $100.00 for that poor thing.

-best,
Mike

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:01 am

I could buy a body and get rid of the middle pickup and vibrato cutouts and reuse all the rest which seems ok. That'll pretty much get it back to the original design.

Is this a reasonable price you tink for a sabre body :

http://m.ebay.com/itm/221945275539
Last edited by mcskelle on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:12 am

maybe make an offer since that option is open? He might go for 225-250.
That looks relatively clean and original... and Ash! You might be able to offset the cost if you find a buyer for your burst body.

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:16 am

Yeah. I figure its quite nice.

Pardon my complete ignorence - I just play the darn things - but is ash like the best for bodies?

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:14 am

It has a stiffness that keep a good amount of energy in the strings...it might translate to a punchier and brighter sound.
All materials (including fingers) scoop out some frequencies and sometimes return them, it get's complicated quick.
The result can be great tone...trial and error is the best way to learn (try lots of guitars!).
Ash is a good wood IMO.

It's also good lookin'

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi I have a sabre 2 here in London ! I cracked the pickup cover!!! Really annoying! I can't find another even one similar ! Anyone know of anyway to source one? Even tried 3D printing firms to no avail!!!!