Champ II amp

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:00 am

The amp bug is biting again. I may be looking at a Rivera era Fender Champ II amp (18 watt) or a Boogie Studio 22+. I am familiar with Boogies but not this Champ.

Anyone have experience with the Champ II and what do you think?

Any idea on current values?

Any info appreciated. :thumbup:

Re: Champ II amp

Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi Sam,

I haven't tried a Champ II, but my main amp on guitar and bass for most of the past 32 years has been a Fender from this time frame. As far as Champs go, I own one from the mid-70s. It has been my go-to amp for playing around the house for the past three years, and I don't see it dropping out of the top slot anytime soon.

Ken

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Hey Ken,

I also have a 78 Vibro Champ that is pretty sweet and the Rivera Super Champ always gets great reviews, so this little 18 watter theoretically should fall in line. I hope to play her this week and see what she's all about.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:32 pm

Hey Sam, a Champ II is a great little find. It has a lot more in common with a Blackface/Silverface Princeton circuit rather than any Champ. Especially due to its use of two 6V6 power tubes and a cathodyne phase inverter. This same style of phase inverter was also used in the tweed era Deluxe and gives these amps a unique character as the phase inverter itself will ad some distortion to the sound. It is a cheaper type of phase inverter that splits the signal using only one half of a 12AX7 (half the signal goes through the plate and the other half through the cathode) vs a long tail pair inverter that uses both halves of a 12AX7 or likewise tube. You can also do a tone stack ground lift in these to make them even more tweed like in tone. A great amp for modding if you are into that sort of thing. (I am :))

See this article: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/2 ... r-champ-ii

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:51 am

Not sure about the Champ Sam but I have a Rivera era Deluxe Reverb II and it is quite a solid, versatile amp. PTP wiring, very boutique-ish. Let us know what you think after your test drive.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:20 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback but unfortunately these are on Craigslist and have had no reply to my inquiries. So, no chance to see or test. Maybe that just means I have enough amps and should just spend money on guitars. :confused0077: