Wanting to try 10-52. Advice and opinions appreciated!

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi all,
I only started learning to play the guitar by myself this June. I started off with 9-42 so my fingertips wouldn't hate me (they did anyway). I just upgraded to 10-46 and I like them alright so far, although I want more tightness on the bass strings. 10-52 sounds like a good choice. However, I do have to re-setup the guitar (I have a Tribute Special). I was looking at the nut slots and my low E is already pretty snug. There is no way I can fit a fatter string in there.
Is there anything I should know before I bring it in for a re-setup?
Thank you all and cheers!
Cid

Re: Wanting to try 10-52. Advice and opinions appreciated!

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi Cid,

Part of your setup should include resizing the nut for the larger strings. Make sure that your luthier knows it needs to be done.

edg

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:25 pm

Hey Cid,

When the string gauge is "substantially" bigger than what the guitar is set up for, the string slots in the nut need to be recut to avoid binding. This is no problem as long as you stick to that gauge. But in the case you'd want to go bak to 9's, you'd need a new nut with properly cut slots.

Another aspect is the relieve in the neck which needs some adjusting when changing string gauges. And sure, the strings will feel different to your fingers so how they like it is TBD.

Have fun with the guitar and happy learnings!

- Jos

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:48 pm

I have quite a few guitars with 10-52's and some with 11's ...... we tune a whole step (2 frets ) down and then drop C on top of that ..... 2 guitars needed the nut widened for the 52's and 2 didn't , without the big strings the down tuning with 10's are like rubber bands , otherwise they would have 10's ....... if you string it with the 52's leave the string slightly loose and pull the string up out of the nut , if it's too tight the string will stick in the nut , if it sticks it needs filed ....... you will probably have to adjust the DF because the 52's will torque the low string side along with what the other guy's said

Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:24 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:I have quite a few guitars with 10-52's and some with 11's ...... we tune a whole step (2 frets ) down and then drop C on top of that

So your low note is an A#? Does your bassist do the same?
I'd like to hear you guys sometime.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:57 am

B# ,I might not of worded it right before so it's like tuning drop D tuning in standard but a whole step down to begin with .... not sure what the Bass player does , he does tune down on the 4 string , not sure on his 5 string ??.... but our singer told a new bass player ( tryout ) some of our songs can only be played on a 5 string

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:42 pm

cider wrote:Hi all,
I only started learning to play the guitar by myself this June. I started off with 9-42 so my fingertips wouldn't hate me (they did anyway). I just upgraded to 10-46 and I like them alright so far, although I want more tightness on the bass strings. 10-52 sounds like a good choice. However, I do have to re-setup the guitar (I have a Tribute Special). I was looking at the nut slots and my low E is already pretty snug. There is no way I can fit a fatter string in there.
Is there anything I should know before I bring it in for a re-setup?
Thank you all and cheers!
Cid

I've installed Curt Mangan Pure Nickel 10-50's on 3 G&L guitars without problems with the nut or neck relief. The Curt Mangan Pure Nickel strings make the guitars come alive. I would highly recommend them for G&L guitars. Good luck! 8-)

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:07 pm

Hello everyone,
Thank you for the comments. I'm very excited for the new strings :) I'm still very new and in the process of trying out different brands and gauges - hopefully I'll find one that I'll stick with for good.

@Jos: Would the bigger nutslots pose a problem in the event that I don't want to stick with 10-52;s and wanting to lower back to 10-46's? Thank you.

Cheers!

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:44 am

Remember that brands have different pound tension tuned to pitch for the same gauge. You might already know this. But for example, if you have a Ernie Ball 48 gauge string and a Daddario 48 gauge string. Both are tuned to the same pitch. The Daddario will have more pound tension than the EB string will even though they are the same gauge.

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Good posts here, I've learned a thing or two.
cider, I don't think switching back to 46 would cause you any probs. A good G&L should give you a straight shot from bridge to tuner, those problems should only arise when the string takes an angle from nut to tuning peg. ... I still like Gibsons though :D

-best,
Mike

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:13 am

I've been running 10-52s on just about all my electrics for the last 15+ years. I've usually found the string slot's just a hair too narrow, if any. Although it's a little crude, if the nut's bone/plastic/similar, taking a length of .052 string and "sawing" it back and forth through the nut slot seems to widen it out cleanly. The only time I actually had to break out a file was with a brass nut. Slots tend to widen a bit over time anyway and a lot of my "higher mileage" guitars had slots plenty wide in the first place.

I can tell you from personal experience that .052 is the absolute biggest string you can fit in the original PRS locking tuners, though.