lost a Band mate yesterday

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:57 pm

I feel like I just got punched in the stomach and can't breathe no matter how hard I try ....... we lost our bass player at 53 years old from a massive heart attack on sunday afternoon a couple hours before band practice ...... I'm really devastated , long time friend from before the Band , the "guy" that got me in the Band in the first place , I was planning on playing with these guy's (and one girl) for next 15 years , Craig was the comedian of the Band and quick to tell jokes in between songs , we/I are sure going to miss him

enjoy life and friends while you can because sometimes it cut short

here's a Tribute youtube of Craig with one of our original songs called "I Remember " ..... hope you guys like it and if you have any tips how to get through this would be appreciated

Eric

https://youtu.be/laGb0H-1DaI

Re: lost a Band mate yesterday

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:22 pm

so sorry to hear this, my condolences. Life is truly short. I hate to hear this.

All the best wishes and prayers going forward.

Alf

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:38 pm

Eric, sincere condolences re: craig. Sounds like he was an inspiration to you. The brotherhood among musicians who have played together for awhile is a spiritual bond. Beyond friendship and fellowship, it is truly special, and only fully appreciated by those in our lot. Peace, john o

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:53 pm

Eric, very sad news indeed and a beautiful tribute you all have made. Keep him in your hearts and minds, his music and laughter will continue to be heard.

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:19 pm

Damn, Eric! Damn! What a devastating blow. Sincere condolences to you, your band mates, and foremost Craig's family.

- Jos

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:01 am

So sorry Eric, life is so fragile. What a loss and hang in there. We also had a scare recently as our drummer was in the hospital for a week with heart and lung issues. He is back playing but his health is marginal. It is things like this that really make our everyday problems pretty minimal.-- Darwin

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:23 am

Eric, very sorry to hear about this. My sincere condolences to you, your bandmates, and Craig's family.

--Craig

Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:02 pm

thanks guy's .... it is rough , in shock at first but it's starting to sinking in now ..... you just never know , life sure can turn real quick when you least expect it

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Kia ora Eric,

Sad to hear the news of your friend's passing - my sincere condolences. I think the hardest part about losing someone suddenly is the shock…. I lost a muso mate suddenly earlier this year and it took quite a while for it to sink it. Death of any kind can really be difficult to deal with esp in Western society where its basically ignored. Nice tribute you all have made. I agree with Sam, keeping Craig in your heart and mind is a great way to honour him and the times you shared. Reliving memories and recalling things he said will comfort you and these will always be with you.
In the meantime, be gentle with yourself and do what you feel you need to do. There's no right or wrong way when it comes to grief and no time limit - its been said grieving is a process and not a linear one. The more you can try to breathe, the more you'll be able to process the feelings but go with the flow... When we don't breathe, we don't feel - its a buffer of sorts… that's why when something overwhelms us we can't catch our breath. Feeling like you did initially just speaks to the magnitude of the emotions involved. Hang in there.

Peace,
KF

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:50 am

My condolences, Eric. When these things happen nothing makes sense. Take your time with all this and don’t hide your feelings from yourself. I don’t know what your beliefs are but just know that your friend is perfectly safe and complete.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:12 pm

Just reading this now Eric. So sorry to here of your loss. My condolences to all who knew Craig. Katefan said it so well. They are never gone so long as we remember them.

Greg.

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:42 pm

thanks again guy's .....

Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:30 am

Eric, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Life is fragile that way and can change at any time. It has made me aware of just how precious each day is, right now. I lost two guitar partners quite suddenly this year; one, who was the same age as your friend Craig, had a huge role in my development as a guitarist and musician. I just wrote a song last week about this loss and the need to play music now while we can. "Now I'm not saying only music gives life meaning/But it's about the only thing that makes sense when all else don't."

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:09 pm

I am sorry for your loss. I have lost 2 band mates and it is painful. These are people you make music with. These are people you share art with. You make music together. These are your friends. We form a friendship bond with musicians that is unique. Playing in a longtime band with people who are your friends and band mates create a circle. When you loose them the circle is broken. They will remain in your heart and you will think of them often.
I hope over time your heart can start to heal some. I am going to send positive vibes your way. I want you to know that I am sorry for you and everyone else that you have to feel such pain.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:13 am

So sorry to hear this Eric. Tragic event and one you will take a long time to recover from but hold on to those great memories of the time you played in a rock and roll band with Craig. Your posts on this forum when you first joined the band were filled with joy and excitement at the prospect of getting on that stage. They were great to read and that enthusiasm is what you hold on to and share with others in the future. Hope it has gotten a little easier for you the past few weeks.

Ric