THE DEATH OF MUSIC in the MODERN AGE

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:58 pm

I have been listening and playing for a long time now.

I recently tried again to form a group.
The local bars and restaurants are paying very very low fees for a band of 4-5, only about $50-60 each for four sets.
The wear and tear, rehearsal time, time to prepare pack set up and break down etc. just doesn't cut it to make a living in music profitable.
Profitable meaning: you can pay your bills, improve your gear, feed you and your family, buy a house, clothes, insurance, etc.

The advancements of the digital age have resulted in music making being potentially the highest risk 'business' in the modern era. The multiple avenues for distributing music and videos allow nearly anyone to try their hand. But at the same time the rewards are dwindling minute to minute.

Free downloading and streaming - or nearly free - is the bane of the modern musician.
Not only does one have to compete with millions of people who want to break into this business, but when you have a reasonably good song or composition - it is nearly worthless.

So your time and effort is worthless.

Now I love to play guitar. And I think wonderful bands have come along over the years and have produced great work. Maybe I am not the one that will ever break into this business. But the odds are so high and the rewards so out of reach that it is positively discouraging.

Even a 'sure' hit song is difficult to pitch, and distribute. To get noticed, to get a 'following'.

This is almost like watching professional sports and having kids who are tall think they have a shot at pro basketball but realize that there are SO MANY players out there who are better and working harder to get into a team.

But music is universal and should be viewed differently it seems. We don't ever pick up a guitar and immediately vow to be a rock star. You love the music and want to play.

Later on down the line though you might feel that you can do something with your talent, form a band, and take a chance at the big time.

My brother had a band called Hobbit. You can find their music on CD Baby. Extremely competent musicians, great songs, well crafted, expertly recorded. They opened for headline acts. They recorded two albums worth of music. They could not get a record company to back them. This was before the digital age. Could they have had a better shot 25 years later? I don't know.

I see China putting out replica guitars based on the specs US manufacturers handed them to produce them legally initially. They can copy anything now. They flood the market in the same way music is being produced. Millions more artists and groups than ever before trying to break in.

Classical composers either had to play live to make money or sell their music through publishers. You can guess that they were taken by the publishers. So they had to play live to make any money at all.

In the record age of vinyl bands could release albums backed and produced by savvy record executives and not even tour. An established band like the Beatles stopped touring completely and lived on the success of their early hits and last few albums. Amazing.

Yes, hard work pays off. But those composers of music in the Modern Age, our age, who are desperately trying to build a name for themselves, face such high hurdles that I think potentially great music by talented artists will never be heard. Trying to play your own music in local establishments is extremely difficult. Playing covers while biding your time to make your originals marketable means suffering extremely low pay for too long.

So much poorly crafted drivel is out there right now that I cannot see how it was even allowed to be streamed. The HIT SONG is the thing. And the formula is simple and repetitive. There is a synth disco beat over which you have either rap or a screamer or some kind of two to three chord strumming format with lyrics that just go nowhere. We are tired of hearing monotonous songs with no structure, with little musical interest or ability to showcase individual talent.

It is a dumbing down effect year after year.

And since this is a guitar based web, just when was it you heard a lead break that knocked you off your feet of late?

Is this just me... or??

Re: THE DEATH OF MUSIC in the MODERN AGE

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:35 pm

You know, I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning as I trawled through the Spotify 'recommended' list on my way to work. I've been living under a rock since about 2005 and am heartily tired of my ageing vinyl and CD collection, packed though it is with classics from the last 50 years or so. I intended to use Spotify as a way of checking out new music that I could get enthusiastic about, but so far I have been underwhelmed by everything new I have dialled up. As you say, it is sterile, formulaic and completely lacking in a quality I can only call 'vibe'. And the streaming process further de-values the product by not allowing you to get immersed in the liner notes or any associated information on the people who produced the music you're listening to.

Out of frustration, I searched through some old classics that I somehow missed out on as a kid and came across Back In Black by AC/DC. Sure, the subject matter is pretty banal and one-dimensional, but the sound of Angus Young playing an SG through a very loud Marshall is still absolutely glorious to listen to. The guy is one of the best blues players I've ever heard. He plays with attitude, tone, humour and 'vibe', and it struck me that AC/DC would have virtually no chance of making it today. They would simply be too raw and too difficult to package in the Facebook age. It was only relentless touring with record company backing that got them noticed back in the 1970's, but I doubt that any record company would take the risk these days.

Modern music may not be dead yet, but it's surely on life support.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:12 pm

I am in the same camp. I had Sirius Radio for a while and was amazed at how much new junk is out there. New Country is a bad as it can be, rock is nothing to listen to anymore. No wonder I stay in my cave. I am still in the 60's rut and goin' nowhere fast. I am happier than ever in the cave. - does that count? George and Alan said it well with "Death On Music Row" -- Darwin

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:25 pm

I have found some new bands in the last few years that I like, so they are out there . Here is something interesting to read http://gtroblq.blogspot.ca/2015/08/why- ... d-and.html
I disagree about AC/DC though. No doubt Back in Black is an all time classic , I bet 90% of GBL members can play " Hells Bells ". To me though , AC/DC is with Bon Scott . Those earlier albums have such a raw youthful energy about them . You put that version of AC/DC on todays airwaves and I say they still make it . That music still gets me all fired up . It also makes me happy to be a citizen of a commomweath nation. Pickings are slim, there has to be some youth these days that would get fired up as well. Nobody could hold it all down like Malcom though.

Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:18 am

There's plenty of good stuff out there, you just have to know how to find it, or know someone who knows how to find it - suggested artists on thing like Sirius or Spotify are never going to be great, the reason they might be suggested to you is that the band members might have a name in common - what does a computer know about taste? There really are a lot of ways to get your music out there and just to know of them all requires some serious time and is best left to someone with the time to do it. This is where non-commercial radio comes in. Here in Victoria we have at least two GREAT radio stations where genre-specific shows are hosted by people passionate enough to volunteer their time to do it. I listen to these archived programs at my work desk, and when I hear something I like, I punch the name of the artist into the google machine and buy an album. Check them out:

PBS FM program archive / on demand
3RRR Radio on Demand service

Now bookmark them. And if there are stations similar in your area (NPR etc...) share them, cause I want to hear more!

If you old codgers can't find a new song in your chosen genre that you like somewhere on these programs I'll be very surprised.

I agree that playing music as a way to make a living is tough, I know a lot of musicians who are masters of their craft but need to work a regular job to get by. But from what I've heard from guys who made big bucks playing in bar/club bands in the '70s and '80s (I'm not that old :D ), is that they'd play covers and have day jobs anyway!!! Tastes in music change and now the mainstream want to hear electronic music in clubs and pubs are more like restaurants. There are still people doing it though, and thats got to count for something.

Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:16 pm

I have a few friends who do very well financially with music, but they are definitely not guitar players. The best-off retired from a career arranging music for diplomatic functions, and now arranges and publishes music for brass ensembles (mostly religious music). Others perform in ensembles for large, paying audiences, and/or have a lot of paying students. The common thread is that they all started playing sometime before their teens, spent years on end taking regular lessons from trained music teachers, and then earned at least a bachelors degree in arranging or performance from a major music school. They all seem to be happy with their career choices, but honestly they get to enjoy playing music about as much as most of us would enjoy a day at work.

I agree that the majority of music you hear on the radio these days is pointless for anything other than background noise. Some of the best music I've come across in recent years was posted in Lunch Report threads. Blarg's posts about the Melbourne music scene had some real gems, even if the CDs were unobtanium in the US. My best find in the past 4-5 years was Lydia Loveless, after somebody posted a G&L sighting link to one of her songs. I can't get the video to load in this thread, but I will add it later if I can figure it out.

Ken

Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:31 am

Nothing has changed, amazing music is being made all over and top 40 radio was never that great to begin with, if you disagree go check the billboard top 100 history. In general, the neighborhood aspect of American Culture has likely dwindled quite a bit though so the local live feel/scene doesn't garner the attention it used to and I'm not sure if that well ever be resurrected. But the opportunity to make it yourself is cheaper than ever in terms of technology and equipment. Being famous is just a thing, nothing more, doesn't make you better or worse. Tons of monster players out there who aren't famous.

Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:21 am

+1 I think having an open mind, a positive attitude and thinking outside the box can yield amazing results. I know many muso's making good $ doing what they love.
The bar & restaurant scene isn't where most of them are doing it tho… Also Liquid, your criteria for profitable is in some ways a tall order - perhaps years back one could do all that from playing bars and restaurants but I doubt it unless they got signed to a major label and had at least one big hit.
Yes, the music industry has changed but it has always ….In the 70's til the late 80's it seem nearly impossible to break into the charts from a local level then in the 90's getting signed and record deal was comparatively heaps easier… now its reverted back to where the folks that make it big seem to be few and far between. Still with youtube and social media its much easier to get exposure than drive around in a van with cassettes or CDs.

IMO, it all comes down to one's attitude & outlook… you think it sucks & there's no opportunities, then that's what you'll perceive…

Cheers,
KF

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:26 pm

Local music scene's aren't what they were 25 years ago, but they aren't all that terrible. My band plays classic rock (70's and 80's Foghat, Journey, Boston, Styx, AC/DC etc) we play 2 - 3 times a month on average, could probably play more, but we like it this way. We make at least $100 per man. Now, we have been playing together for 18 years, so we have a following. It definitely isn't like it used to be, crowds are smaller and bars are more apt to book established bands over new bands.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:30 pm

Joe pretty much sums it up here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8bZsglsLLs

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:32 am

==============

The best thing about todays music is that anyone with a computer can make music and get it out into the world.

The worst thing about todays music is that anyone with a computer can make music and get it out into the world.

WR

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:47 am

Yeah its tough for a <ahem> slightly graying guy like myself to find new music that can compete with the classic rock I grew up with. Chances are you aren't going to find it on top 40 radio.
I'm not sure what kind of music the orig poster likes, but here's a few things I've found lately that I'm digging. Some are new, others just new to me. If anyone cares, feel free to check 'em out. I'm always looking for suggestions too.

White Denim - discovered them when they were the musical guest on Letterman a year or 2 ago. I believe they've also appeared on Austin City Limits and Jools Holland. These guys are becoming one of my favorite bands. Maybe kinda early Steely Dan sounding at times.

The Palladins - 1st heard them on my Pandora Stevie Ray Vaughn 'radio station'. Some of their stuff is very SRV-like, some is more rockabilly.

The War On Drugs - I read a review somewhere that described them as a modern Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Only have 1 record of theirs but really like it. And that description was pretty accurate. This was another one I first saw on Letterman.

J Roddy Walston & The Business - just saw them a few weeks ago on Austin City Limits. Don't know much of their stuff yet but really liking what I've heard so far. The tune Heavy Bells sounds familiar to me. Perhaps from a TV/film score?

Lukas Nelson - (Willie's son) yet another I first heard on Letterman. . This guy seems like the real deal. I read recently that Neil Young recorded his latest album with Lukas and his band. So I take that as a good endorsement too.

- Jeff

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:59 am

helle-man wrote:==============

The best thing about todays music is that anyone with a computer can make music and get it out into the world.

The worst thing about todays music is that anyone with a computer can make music and get it out into the world.

WR

you come up with the best phrases that are right on target !! ..lol

Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:42 pm

I have been digging Blackberry Smoke for a few years now. Great Band..

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:00 pm

Dawes and, associated, Blake Mills.

- Jos

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:06 pm

" Here's a song that's guaranteed to bring you right down. It's called don't let it bring you down. It sorta starts out real slow ... and then it .... fizzles out all together " :)

I like Wills post above. It's never been easy. For every AC/DC that made it, there's many starving artists who were forced to get "real jobs". It's always been the younger generation that drives the music scene. Pop music these days goes by my house in cars that rattle my windows .. and if you want to break into that scene, see the starving artist reference above. The good folks that made our favorite music popular are now too busy taking the kids to soccer practice, etc, to drive any music scene.
How often do you see folks listening to music through ear buds plugged into a smart phone ? It, obviously works for many, but I just can't hear that Skynyrd guitar play, or get the feel of Hey Nineteen through those things. It aint what it used to be...
I still have some places around town where I can see local bands, but many are making their money on craft beer and trendy foods, ( or is that trendy beer and craft foods ? .. I forget )
I think your best bet is sink the money from your day job into good production, get it out on all the streaming sites you can find and hope for an underground following -lol- maybe you sell a song or two on iTunes, or site of your choice. ... in the mean time, Ramen aint all that bad ... is it ?

After I finished music school, many years ago, I worked with a pretty good group for a short time. I decided I'd rather have money, so it's been the day job ever since. The sad thing is, my S-500 sat on it's stand so long it won't make a sound anymore ... it's filthy -lol- I'm thinking about a new Legacy now though, I have the money for it ;)

".. if you wanna be a star of stage and screen, LOOK OUT ! .. it's rough and mean .. it's a long way, to the top, if you wanna rock and roll "

-best
Mike

Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Music, like most things (good & bad), is cyclical. Even though we remember the past, we still repeat it... With all the technology, imitation, simplicity, the "real" stuff still manages to float to the surface.

Take a deep breath and float.

Cheers,

Will

Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:30 pm

" When the tides of life are against you .. and the current upsets your boat, don't waste tears on what might have been, ...... just lie on your back and float" - E Norton
Cheers :D

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Music is just as good as it used to be in the 60's when I grew up. What's different is that it is much less guitar-centric, and there is so much of it that does not played on the radio that it is much harder to discover the good stuff. I still manage to find groups and songs that I enjoy, mostly through the internet and non-mainstream radio stations.

In terms of being involved in music, the recent years have been fun. I have been in a few cover bands over the last several years, but this year we have hit upon a combination of players that worked. We are still mostly a hobby band, but over the last few months we have played a few gigs and have been well-received. This last Saturday we played a new venue (for us) and they liked us enough that they have already asked us to be back in December. Plus we already have another gig booked for January. To think that here I am, 2 years into retirement, playing gigs for money is almost surreal. I'll enjoy it as long as my body holds up.

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:20 pm

Good for you Kit ! Glad to hear things are going well.
I remember you from the old days here, with emmitt and ches and cb and .... time to get my tysinger and mad maggies cds out :D

-best,
Mike