Little Dawg Amps

Thu May 06, 2010 2:44 pm

I am looking at getting one of these amps.

Does anyone own his (12 watt)Mutt & D Lux?

I am wondering how they compare? Clips would be helpful.

sanx
Craig

Re: Little Dawg Amps

Sun May 23, 2010 7:58 am

I own two of Jim's amps: a Champster and a D-Lux. Love''em both!

The D-Lux is Jim's take on the Tweed 5E3. I've never played through an original and bought the D-Lux strictly on its own merits. Also, I have no experience with the Mutt.

Jim's amps are incredibly well-built. I bought mine with the Jensen speaker and haven't felt the need to change it. Also, the amp is constructed so that you can run either 6V6 or 6L6 output tubes by changing a few tubes, depending on your power needs and tonal preferences. I play in a smaller room so I'm running 6V6es and absolutely love the tonal palette this amp offers.

A really neat thing about this amp design is the flexibility it offers via its interactive volume and tone controls. It's hard to explain here but there's a lot of info on it available on the Web, and Jim has a great instruction sheet explaining it.

Sorry to say I don't have any sound clips, but I can tell you that once I got this amp home my Peavey Classic 30 rarely sees the light of day. It's a great amp that responds beautifully to all of my guitars but seems to play especially well with single coil MFDs.

One other plus: Jim is an awesome person to do business with!