Yes and Toto tonight

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:09 am

Countdown is 8 hours to tonight's Yes / Toto show, really looking forward to seeing Howe and Lukather play. Found out GLDP member "repoman" is going as well, great minds think alike. :evilgrin:

drjho7, did you see them on the 12th as expected? If yes, how was it?

Re: Yes and Toto tonight

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:23 pm

Howdy all here's the update from last night's show.

Great show from both bands and Howe and Lukather proved why they are among the premier pickers. :clap:

Both bands played 1 1/2 hrs, and sounded incredible. Set list is below, so you see good choice of songs from their catalog. I took my wife and two of the three kids, and all sang, clapped and went away raving about the show. Even my wife said the show was great, and she sometimes refers to them and similar bands "that prog twiddly stuff". Steve Howe's playing amazed her. (me too)

They were at the Verizon amphitheater outside Atlanta which is OK venue. Typical amphitheater but the seats were fold up chairs that felt like crap after a while and the floor did not have a decent pitch to allow good view over audience in rows in front of you. Minor gripe, but this was first time at this venue.

Unfortunately could not locate our own repoman but we exchanged emails and he gave a thumbs up as well.

Yes set list
Onward (recording from Tormato/Chris Squire Tribute)
2. Don't Kill the Whale
3. Tempus Fugit
4. America (Simon & Garfunkel cover)
5. Going for the One
6. Time and a Word
7. Clap
8. I've Seen All Good People
9. Siberian Khatru
10. Owner of a Lonely Heart
11. Roundabout
Encore:
12. Starship Trooper

Toto set list
1. Running Out of Time
2. I'll Supply the Love
3. Hydra
4. Never Enough
5. Hold the Line
6. Georgy Porgy
7. Pamela
8. Keyboard Solo (David Paich)
9. Great Expectations
10. Without Your Love
11. Little Wing (The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
12. On the Run / Goodbye Elenore (Including a snippet of "Child's Anthem")
13. Orphan
14. Rosanna
15. Africa

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:26 pm

a couple of pics, had good seats

Steve Howe on the monitor - should have taken direct picture

Toto

Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:09 am

Hi Sam, Jodi and i saw them on 8/12 in baltimore on inner harbor pier 6, beautiful venue, same place i saw umphreys a few weeks before.
Looks like they played the same sets for you as they did for us. I'm a big toto fan since their 1st record in '78. Their current line-up is fresh, and their new record is strong. So much i wanted to hear that they didn't play, but Luke never disappoints.
I was pleasantly surprised with Yes, figured my best yes shows were long behind me. I was wrong, in part. Steve Howe was spry, and remains the master. The clap...simply amazing guitar chops. Going for the one...the pedal steel work was stunning, not to mention the rest of his parts. So, how is it they find another guy named jon, with amazing vocal range, who sort of resembles Jesus? I have to say that Billy Sherman filled Chris' shoes admirably. Between those bass and vocal parts, that is no small order. Definitely worth the price of attendance and then some.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:18 am

by the way, thx for the pics, it was cool of you to post them.
how 'bout lenny castro playing percussion for toto? what a treat, certainly enhanced africa, and the whole set!

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:36 am

hey doc,

yep Lenny was fantastic. Agree about Jon Davison on the vocals, he nails it. Also agree on Toto's new album, and the way the whole band pulls off vocals for Orphan showcased everyone. Steve Howe is a master for sure.

yer welcome on the pics, just wish I had taken more. My daughter has one of Alan White, and with his hat he looked like Freddy Kruger. :lol:

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:36 am

I was about 25 rows back on the opposite side of the stage in front of Howe. I also have a few good photos but have them at home. I put some on facebook but I have no access to FB from work. I do like the description "prog twiddly stuff" LOL

I took the wife, 18 y.o. daughter and her friend to the show. I've dragged the wife to many a Yes show over the years. She does enjoy Yes/Howe but not at the nerdy level I do. My daughter agreed they were good it but admits its not her cup of tea. Her friend enjoyed it much more and she might just be a Yes convert.

My main complaint with the venue was lack of volume. I bring ear plugs to shows. Not only were the plugs not needed, the volume was so low that people could talk with their neighbors during the songs. But Howe still has the goods. He was in fine form on electric, acoustic and pedal steel. There is no replacing Chris Squire (RIP) but I thought Billy Sherwood did a good job on bass. His vocals were too low in the mix to judge. And Squires vocals were a big part of their live show. The new singer sounds eerily like Jon Anderson on their classics. I've heard their new record. The songs aren't bad, just no bite or intensity. A little too "new agey" sounding for me. For a shortened set I thought the song choice was good. A couple of lesser played songs (Whale, Tempus Fugit, Going for the One) and a bunch of classics. I'll be curious to see what happens next with the band with Howe seemingly in charge. I have a couple of Sherwoods records and think he is a fine writer/arranger. Will they put out any decent new music or just become an "oldies" touring act?

We arrived late and only heard a couple of Toto songs so I can't comment on that. I'm only familiar with their radio hits. But I trust Sam-wise when he says I should investigate their catalog.

Next time we'll have to coordinate better and meet for a cold beverage during intermission.

Jeff

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:55 pm

We arrived late and only heard a couple of Toto songs so I can't comment on that. I'm only familiar with their radio hits. But I trust Sam-wise when he says I should investigate their catalog.

repoman, i rec: "jake to the bone" from toto's (1999) minefields live. instrumental, some high energy and tight music, for starters.