The Hollies

Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:37 am

"On a Carousel "

Cool studio take. These guys were good. Nice shots of an LP custom in this as well. Enjoy.

[youtube]5XRjp7vClT8[/youtube]

Re: The Hollies

Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:35 am

:thumbup:

That is a pleasant ear worm to start the week. I know I am an old dude but that video shows what I really enjoy about music. Musicians getting together and honing their craft and creating a unique sound. No vocal pitch correction software - hell if you can't hit the note you shouldn't be the singer.

Some radio show I was listening to played a Beach Boys tune with all of the instrument tracks stripped out. Man, those guys nailed every single note. Amazing. The entire song stood on its own without the instruments.

Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:26 pm

Hey glvourot,

Thanks man, that is one band that never got it's due for pure power pop, some of the catchiest songs ever. I gave my son a copy of their gretest hits a while back and i am glad to say he appreciates quality music. (12 year old) This one is the one i lived with as a kid and still think it has one of the best guitar riffs ever. :alright:

[youtube]lP94PlEtsEQ[/youtube]

Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:45 am

I agree, very solid band. Funny enough, I think I too was about 12 or so when I started playing this record on our old stereo cabinet turntable. I also used to play all my brothers records when he was not home. I was very careful not to scratch any of them. The Joe Perry Project album cover is etched in my brain forever :D

Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:03 am

Sam, the best way to appreciate that song is play a good copy on a good stereo - nice and loud. The staccato tele is superb. :BangBang:

A couple thoughts as I watched the Carousel video again: #1 Graham Nash has a really high voice! So was it recorded at Apple? And if so, is that George Martin at the beginning? It might also explain that raga riff that the guitar player does. Maybe one of the boys influenced him. :think:

Good stuff...

Thu May 05, 2016 11:43 pm

Liked them quite a bit back in the day. Fun song to jam is Bus Stop. Very cleverly written tune. [youtube]https://youtu.be/PRxH9EZ0cTM?t=8m48s[/youtube]

Fri May 06, 2016 2:26 pm

EmGeezer wrote:Liked them quite a bit back in the day. Fun song to jam is Bus Stop. Very cleverly written tune.

Want to give credit where credit is due. "Bus Stop" was not written by the Hollies, but by Graham Gouldman. Here is the Wikipedia link on Graham Gouldman:

Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Gouldman
[link is deemed unsafe by URLVoid so clickable link removed by Admin]

In my opinion Gouldman is possibly the top song writer during the 1960s. Just look at his song writing credits.
Last edited by Craig on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link checked by URLVoid and deemed unsafe