Decent Acoustic Electric?

Mon May 03, 2010 3:21 pm

Hey All,

I've started collaborating with a neighbor of mine and we are in the process of putting together a set of songs that we can play out. They are all originals and it has been a lot of fun but I may be in need of a new piece of gear in the near future. I have a feeling that most of our gigs are going to be acoustic affairs with me on guitar and him singing. Right now, I have a '68 Yamaha FG-300 and a Larrivee Parlour, but niether is electrified, and I don't really wanna go that rout anyways. Now, to the question:

What would you pick as a decent acoustic electric in the say $500-$800 dollar range (used). I figured this would be a good range to start at and then if things took off I could upgrade later on. Thanks a lot for any suggestions and I'll be sure and keep y'all updated on our progress.

Lates,

Connor

Re: Decent Acoustic Electric?

Mon May 03, 2010 4:23 pm

I'd look for a used Larrivee D-02E or D-03E first, but it'll be at the high end of your price range. A guy in our old band gigged for years with a Takamine G Series. You could buy a new one in your price range.

Mon May 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Hey Connor,

I recently picked up an Alvarez-Yairi DY84C on daBay for $830 shipped (Retail:$1,600). It is 5 years old, and was in nearly perfect condition. You'll be hard pressed to find a better tone:bone value anywhere, IMHO. It's a cutaway and has very nice electronics. The tone isn't quite as deep as my Taylor 710 CE, but it was less than 1/2 the money. Do yourself a favor, try them out. You should be able to find a nice, somewhat aged, collectible Yairi for the price range you mentioned. There's a Yahoo group run by a woman who goes by the name yairi_luvr where you can ask specific questions of her. She knows her Yairis. You can also shoot me an email regarding Alvarez and Alvarez Yairis. I may be able to answer some questions.
BTW: When I first got the guitar, I didn't like it as well, and the action was a bit more difficult than my '84 Alvarez. However, after changing to EB Earthwood Light strings, she plays a lot easier, with little noticeable loss of tone. Oh, and with the System 600 electronics, like my '05 DY84C, you get an on-board tuner, which is really slick. Good luck.

Mon May 03, 2010 6:34 pm

I'm big fan of Seagull guitars. They are kind of utilitarian but they have really nice solid tops and good electronics available.

Mon May 03, 2010 6:41 pm

There is a 1989 Alvarez Yari dy-74 on e-bay in Oregon that looks in beautiful condition for a BIN of $700 or make an offer. I do not know if that is a good deal but I wanted to make a comment on the action. MrRoundel, It appears that you put lighter strings on to get a better action. I looked at the bridge on this guitar and if it is like yours it may have a shim or two under the Bone/Plastic bridge. I have set the action on acoustics by simply removing shims or, if they do not have shims, I file .020 off the bridge, check action and file until I get what they/I want. The action on acoustics is generally higher because people strum them harder. Many electric players like the action low and find the action on an acoustic too high. I think Alvarez is an excellent choice although I am a fan of high end Ovations for recording. -- Darwin :greet:

Mon May 03, 2010 8:32 pm

darwinohm wrote:There is a 1989 Alvarez Yari dy-74 on e-bay in Oregon that looks in beautiful condition for a BIN of $700 or make an offer.

Hey darwinohm: That's definitely a nice guitar, but I don't believe it has the electronics that anglewood is looking for. I could be wrong, so I'll check it out. (It turns out I was wrong, and that the guitar has a Fishman Matrix pickup installed. I'm not familiar with it but I can tell you that DY74 is a sweet guitar. It has the earlier style "volute" at the back of the headstock, which I believe makes it more collectible,and probably stronger too.) The mid-eighties to 1990 Yairis seem to have been a time when the company really hit its stride. There are some incredible values to be had in that lineup.

darwinohm wrote:MrRoundel, It appears that you put lighter strings on to get a better action. I looked at the bridge on this guitar and if it is like yours it may have a shim or two under the Bone/Plastic bridge. I have set the action on acoustics by simply removing shims or, if they do not have shims, I file .020 off the bridge, check action and file until I get what they/I want. The action on acoustics is generally higher because people strum them harder. Many electric players like the action low and find the action on an acoustic too high. I think Alvarez is an excellent choice although I am a fan of high end Ovations for recording. -- Darwin :greet:

My Yairi has what's called a direct-coupled bridge and has pickups that are under what are individual saddles, meaning each one has to be done individually. In a way this is good, providing you know what you're doing. I'm not that good with such things. The action was close to where I wanted it, however, the strings just seemed to be more difficult for me to fret cleanly, and for longer periods of playing. I took what was probably the easy way out, but since I like those Earthwood Lights, I figured it was worth a shot. Unfortunately, while restringing, I put a few marks on the top of the guitar by trying to lever the bridge pins out. :oops: The better way would have been pressing them out from underneath. Live and learn. Thanks for the tips.

Tue May 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I didn't think of a low end Larrivee, I know that my parlour is a great guitar and will definitely look into those. Also thanks to others, I'll definitely be checking out those options as well.

Lates,

Connor

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:28 pm

I'll second the Seagulls.. I have a Maritime mini Jumbo and love it... Can be bought new for around $800.00

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:02 am

Why not slap some electonics on one of the guitars you already have? If you are talking those thin body acoustic/electric deals - I have yet to hear one worth anything played unplugged.

Best cheap acoustic out there - hands down a 1950s or 1960s Harmony Sovereign. Cost you a hundred or two dollars and it will probably need a neck reset. But they are made with better lumber than you will find on many boutique builds and sound better than a whole lot of guitars costing ten times as much. Tons of 'em were made so they are not that hard to find.