Edwards Guitars

Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:15 am

Anyone have any experience with Edwards guitars out of Japan? Specifically interested in Edwards ES-335 copy.

Any recommendations or warnings would be most helpful. Thanks.

(edit 6/18/15: Corrected typo in Subject line)

Re: Edwards Guitars

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:08 pm

lefty_major wrote:Anyone have any experience with Edwards guitars out of Japan? Specifically interested in Edwards ES-335 copy.

Any recommendations or warnings would be most helpful. Thanks.

(edit 6/18/15: Corrected typo in Subject line)

I haven't played one but they look very legit by the photos. I love 335's and more so the traditional Gibson board (jumbos, binding over fret, then leveled flat/wide) so if it was up to me I'd check the pics and at least get one with taller frets that have been taken down nicely. Some are, some aren't, not sure what governs the choice. That's why I don't dig Epi's, the fret wire is smaller and no leveling done, just stamp'em down and send'em out, once that fretboard swells a little you're in wonky territory and not much fret left to conceal it.

Beyond that, you can see through the lacquer the Mahogany in the necks looks top notch, might not even be spliced at the headstock. When closely inspecting their boards the rosewood is fairly consistent and the Ebony really looks good. Rarely ever see a flaw in the fit/finish either. I LOVE that they often use the classic style tune-o-matic where the screw goes straight into the body. Not a fan of the Nashville bridges, I modded a 335 copy by filling the slot with an ebony dowel rod piece, finishing it nicely, and screwing in a real tune-o-matic..I think it made big difference in string response. I prefer lighter 335's, so you can probably email the seller and get weight details if nothing is posted.

If you got the cash...DO IT! 1/2 the price of a used 335/H535 and a few steps above the Epiphone Dot, while barely below a Gibson.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:39 am

Edwards LP in action….

[youtube]mrux7YUTrf8[/youtube]

Cheers,
KF

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:56 am

Thanks guys. There was one I interested in on Reverb but someone already bought it. I think they are worth keeping an eye out for.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:45 pm

I had the opportunity to pick up a Heritage H535 some years ago for a good price. I like it a lot except I don't play it much as the band I play with plays a few songs that need a whammy bar, and I don't like to bring multiple guitars with me to practice or gigs. Here is a sound sample; the lead is the Heritage H535, played over a backing track that I got from somewhere:

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/music/improv.mp3

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:49 pm

Drooling over this custom model one, look at the attention to detail on the frets and that action! Byooootifull.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:34 am

Nice. I really like the rounded "ears".

I've been looking at Heritage as well for a 335 style.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:47 pm

I have a heritage 535. I bought it used. Its been played a lot by the previous owner. I had it professionally setup and its an amazing guitar!!

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Heritage, like G&L, are extremely addictive. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

535 and Prospect

Millennium and 575

150, 157 and 137

Also like G&L they make 95% of their range in lefty.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:54 pm

Hey,

That is a great display of lefties. The Prospect is a guitar I would like to try. I have a several Heritage solid body guitars and couldn't ask for more.They are way more than I deserve.

Great pictures, what type of camera?

y2kc

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks,

The pics were taken with a Fuji Finepix S5800, tripod mounted + self timer, no flash with camera set to aperture priority.

A couple more ....

H-170

H-576

Both have Duncan P-Rails installed.

To the op .. apologies for the thread hijack. I have been tempted lately by an Edwards Flying V, but I haven't taken the plunge yet.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:41 pm

Can you special order, custom build a Heritage 535 like you can a G&L guitar?

If so, what sort of price range are we talking?

Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:44 pm

wow! :o
tip of my hat to your righteous Heritage collection.
how do you like those p90-rails?

Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:32 am

yes, you can special order a Heritage, probably with more customization than a G&L.

As for price, I bought my H150 brand new, it was $2400 and a good used one would be $1700. A new similar Gibson would be over $3k, so its a better guitar for 2/3 the money.

Jerry has a brand new H140 which is just like the 150 only thinner body. Its a gold top

http://www.jerrysleftyguitars.com/herit ... -left.html

He is a dealer and can order what you want.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:06 am

astutzmann wrote:yes, you can special order a Heritage, probably with more customization than a G&L.

Yes, and I just found a whole list of dealers on the Heritage site. I did not know how that worked. Thanks for this tip. I already emailed a few dealers this morning.

astutzmann,
The H535 in your avatar has what I think are called "Micky Mouse Ears". They are more rounded than other models in this style. Is that the correct name? I really like that look.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:34 am

yup, thats it!!

Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:54 pm

lefty_major wrote:
astutzmann wrote:yes, you can special order a Heritage, probably with more customization than a G&L.

Yes, and I just found a whole list of dealers on the Heritage site. I did not know how that worked. Thanks for this tip. I already emailed a few dealers this morning.

astutzmann,
The H535 in your avatar has what I think are called "Micky Mouse Ears". They are more rounded than other models in this style. Is that the correct name? I really like that look.

I wouldn't rely on the list of dealers on the Heritage site, unless it has been updated very recently.

Two dealers that have experience of custom Heritage orders are Wolfe Guitars http://www.wolfeguitars.com/index2.php#/home/ and Green Oak Guitars http://www.greenoakguitar.com/

There is a lefty upcharge, roughly $300 or so.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:56 pm

drjho7 wrote:wow! :o
tip of my hat to your righteous Heritage collection.
how do you like those p90-rails?

Thanks. I really like the P-Rails, besides the Heritage guitars pictured I also have them in an ASAT Deluxe and a Carvin CT6.

Re: Edwards Guitars / Heritage Guitars

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:57 am

Thanks all. I have reached out to a dealer. Heritage will do their H535 with a 25.5" scale neck. This might be really nice for me.