envelope filter

Wed May 20, 2015 6:53 pm

looking for advice on one of these, a free-standing pedal. i have an EF in a multi-effects unit but i don't like it. my band is finally giving in to my request to do estimated prophet (dead), and Jerry had a bangin' envelope filter or auto-wah on that. any rec's appreciated.

Re: envelope filter

Wed May 20, 2015 8:38 pm

Here's what I've used recently:

1. Moog MF-101 Lowpass Filter: If you can deal with the size and the cost, these are arguably the best envelope filters around. They are also some of the most versatile pedals out there. They are designed mainly as a 100% analog, low-pass envelope filter, but they also can also be used as a fixed LP filter to remove hiss or finger noise. If you have other effects with expression pedal inputs, the MF-101 can send the envelope signal to the expression pedal input and make that effect envelope-controlled. Likewise, you can run an expression pedal into the MF-101 to control any one of the knobs (envelope amount, wet/dry mix, resonance, or the filter's cutoff frequency). If you have anything that can send control voltage/expression out, that can also control any of the knobs. I particularly like step-sequencing the cutoff frequency with an EHX Eight-Step. With a low-frequency oscillator (like the MF-102 Ring Modulator's output), it becomes an auto-wah.

2. EBS Triple Envelope Filter: This one works really well on bass, and does a good job IMO with chords on guitar. I don't find it to be that great for leads or single-note lines like you would do for Estimated Prophet. In fairness to EBS, it is designed for bass and does that very nicely.

3. Subdecay Prometheus: I have the discontinues 100% analog version, and it has a lot to offer. Running an ASAT Classic through a SF Champ a few minutes ago I wasn't able to nail Jerry's tone, but I got reasonably close. These have a sample-and-hold circuit that can give a random filter sweep, which is a very nice effect in the right place. The old ones like mine are very difficult to find, but there's a newer one with some digital control features that is still on the market. If you want to hunt one of these down, the first place I would look is in the bass guitar classifieds on TalkBass.com. Folks over there are constantly swapping filter effects.

I haven't tried any of Moog's new Minifoogers, but that line includes a lowpass filter based on the same ladder filter circuit as the MF-101. It is smaller and about half the price of an MF-101, but it lacks a lot of the features - although it just might be able to have your guitar preaching on the burning shore...

Ken

Wed May 20, 2015 8:40 pm

Jerry used the vintage Mu-Tron lll, they are about 500 on the used market.
(avoid the MuTron lll+ by HAZ labs, they look almost the same :searching: )
Mike Beigel( inventor of the MuTron ) has a new unit out, the Mu-FX .Those are
about 360 new .
A tribute Dead band sounds fun !

elwood

Thu May 21, 2015 2:37 pm

Many thanks, Ken and Elwood. I look forward to trying a few of these out/hunting them down. 'Bout time for a new effects box, anyway.
Here's a little "dead" humor...