Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:49 am

GAS is a terrible thing :?

:mrgreen:

Re: About to take a walk on the dark side: 24.75" scale

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:04 am

SPG, you have some fine ones. I still haven't figured out was GAS is! -- Darwin

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:45 pm

Congrats on all those Heritage. Some day I would like to own their version of a 335. They build AMAZING guitars. When you play one you think "Why doesn't Gibson do this". And if Gibson did it would cost 40,000 dollars. With G&L and Heritage you really have both ends of the spectrum. I think thats Why I own Gibsons as well. Thought G&L is hands down my favorite guitars. I feel a Gibson style guitar is the exact opposite of a G&L. Though I guess some could argue a Ibanez 7 string locking system trem with 24 frets and some scalloped frets would be more opposite of G&L. But you will never see me with a guitar like that.

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:00 pm

I always wanted an SG . When I had money to buy one I had discovered G&L so I bought an S-500. Two more G&L's before I finally bought got that SG.I always troll craigslist and I ended up with a nice black 61 SG re-issue for a great price. I wanted a humbucker guitar and it really delivers. I play it quite a bit more than I thought I would. I don't think I would ever buy a new Gibson but they do make some nice guitars, I have issues with some of the shady things they do.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:05 pm

glvourot wrote:I always wanted an SG . When I had money to buy one I had discovered G&L so I bought an S-500. Two more G&L's before I finally bought got that SG.I always troll craigslist and I ended up with a nice black 61 SG re-issue for a great price. I wanted a humbucker guitar and it really delivers. I play it quite a bit more than I thought I would. I don't think I would ever buy a new Gibson but they do make some nice guitars, I have issues with some of the shady things they do.

What kind of shady things do they do?

I have owned several SG's. I really liked them a lot. My favorite was the first Diablo model they did. It was 1 of 1,000. it was metalic red with really neat body contours. But that turned into a G&L ASAT, go figure. At the time I needed more G&L. I would keep a SG now. But I really enjoyed the light weight and the easy of play all the way up the fretboard.

Plus they sound like rock-n-roll. I say you should go for it.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:00 pm

This whole deal with the caps. Note that the opinions expressed are those of the OP's . I do however, agree with a lot of what they say. Just follow until you get to the " bumblebee caps " . I still like my SG though.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pickups ... ot-me.html

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:07 pm

glvourot wrote:This whole deal with the caps. Note that the opinions expressed are those of the OP's . I do however, agree with a lot of what they say. Just follow until you get to the " bumblebee caps " . I still like my SG though.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pickups ... ot-me.html

$125 bucks for caps from Gibson? I have a buddy that works at Gibson. I will find out if those are REAL Bumble Bee caps. BTW, is the photo I have, is that a Bumble Bee cap? We should start a "Cap Thread".

what kind of cap is this:

Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:55 pm

I will find out if those are REAL Bumble Bee caps

Well no, they are not real. I posted a link to the thread because it explained it well. Gibson are charging 112.99 for 2.00 dollar caps while hiding them under " bumblebee " cap jackets. I really don't want to get onto any cap debates. I just wanted to post an example of shady business practices by Gibson.

Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:44 pm

glvourot wrote:
I will find out if those are REAL Bumble Bee caps

Well no, they are not real. I posted a link to the thread because it explained it well. Gibson are charging 112.99 for 2.00 dollar caps while hiding them under " bumblebee " cap jackets. I really don't want to get onto any cap debates. I just wanted to post an example of shady business practices by Gibson.

Ahok, I am with you now. Thats what you were talking about with the "shady" comment. Sorry, I was not fully awake at the time. And yes, that is beyond shady. I hope guys are not really paying that much for those things. You can buy real ones for a fraction of the price. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:36 pm

I love my G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top. I truly do. However, I must confess that my first guitar, a transparent red ibanex Gio GAX70, has a 24.75" scale. It was a good guitar to start out on. To me, it's really about feel. I can switch from the GAX70 right to my ASAT Deluxe and not miss a beat. The most famous guitarists do it all the time.

Wed May 09, 2018 10:42 am

Yes, feel the power of the Dark Side!

I've had 24.75" neck scale guitars before: Epi Flying V, Epi Les Paul, Gibson Melodymaker SG

Iv'e had 25.5 sacle; Curently my early 90's 3bolt S-500 and a Samick Gregg Bennet

I've owned A Kramer Pacer, Medara Hurricane, B.C. Rich Mockenbird, Charvette and a Squier.

My daughter has a student scale pink and white Squier that I've writtwen songs on. Try it, you'll come up with new stuff just because it feels like a different insturment. Also, walk down the village fair playing it and watch the laughs and smiles. ;-)

My main axe is a 25" scale Carvin CT-324 because I stupidly sold my old mid 80s PRS in 2001!

I need another 24.75" and you have not helped my fiscal discipline one bit with this post! ;-)

Just use a heavier set of strings on it and then enjoy the differences in feel and sound by nature of the guitar. If you are 10's on a 25.5" then 11's for the Gibbyscale

ENJOY!