Does this look familiar to anyone?

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:18 am

http://prsguitars.com/s2vela/

Gorgeous guitar, but I could swear I've seen it somewhere before, maybe.

Re: Does this look familiar to anyone?

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:48 pm

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...they managed to take the elegance of the Fallout and complicate it. The lines, elements, all too busy. More complex but not as beautiful. Same happened to Oatmeal when McDonald's put it on their menu, 10 ingredients and not as good boiling water with oats.

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:22 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:The lines, elements, all too busy. More complex but not as beautiful.

It looks to me like they are trying to take on the Fallout concept and the guitars Joe Knaggs has been building since he left PRS (http://knaggsguitars.com/category/chesapeake-electrics/chesapeake-electric-severn/). Here's one example:

Ken

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:24 pm

It doesn't look too different from the much maligned Taylor Solidbody from a few years ago either. In fact I prefer the lines and bevelling on the Taylor.

Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:49 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any resemblance or similarity to the Fallout at all - aside from the pick guard which G&L shamelessly ripped off of Danelectro, and the H-S pickup layout which was done a lot on shredder guitars in the '80s and early '90s.

The PRS Starla, one of which I owned and very recently sold, got the visual theme they're going for with this one right, and this one got it completely wrong. Practice makes perfect? Evidently not.

Philby wrote:It doesn't look too different from the much maligned Taylor Solidbody from a few years ago either. In fact I prefer the lines and bevelling on the Taylor.

Hi Phil! :greet: Those Taylors go for practically nothing on the used market. Worse resale than a G&L!

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi Jamie :wave: . I picked up a Taylor solid body last year for close to nothing. A blue version of the one in the pic. I really like it, it does its own thing. And we share birthdays, though my Taylor was born in 2011. The low re-sale is probably due to Taylor abandoning their proprietary plug and pickguards. At some point I will rip the Taylor electronics out and replace them with conventional electronics so I can install after-market pickups.

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:07 pm

I give PRS props for trying something new. That's not my thing at all but I'm pretty weird to start with!