Demise of Guitar Center?

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:29 pm

This is an article posted Tuesday about the impending demise of Guitar Center. The article is long but is an interesting look at the history of Guitar Center, it's management, shrinking revenues and the enormous debt it is drowning in. The author is from the financial industry, but at the end he does say he plays bass.

With the talk of Fender going direct and Guitar Center on the brink, maybe we can get back to good ol' Mom and Pop stores and grab some bargains from a sinking ship on the way. The article touches on how Behringer had the greatest annual revenue in the history of the company since parting ways with Guitar Center. Keep your eyes and ears open as this story continues to evolve. :searching:

http://www.ericgarland.co/2015/02/03/end-guitar-center/

Re: Demise of Guitar Center?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:27 pm

Sam,

Thanks for posting this. I remember a thread about one of his previous blogs on GC. It would be nice to see a return of the small store, especially if there were enough for some healthy competition.

I rarely buy new gear, and when I do it is usually just strings and cables. I've bought most of my G&Ls from a local used gear shop or from private sellers, and prefer to go with small online vendors for strings (BassStringsOnline and StringsandBeyond are my favorites). I have made some used gear purchases from GC, but those have been rare items that I wouldn't otherwise have found.

Ken

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Well, if GC goes under, that is really going to hurt me. I have three of them within a 20 mile radius of my house and they are, IMO, they best stores in the Portland area. I've gotten some really great deals here over the last 14 years. I also shop at the three stores in the Seattle area, though Seattle has some other stores that I like--A # Music in Renton, the two American Music stores, The Guitar Store and Dusty Strings.

But locally, I've gotten far worse attitude, service and support from some of the small local stores than I have with Guitar Center.

Bill

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:46 am

I'm not a fan of Guitar Center's, but they do tend to keep prices down at the other dealers in the area.

But honestly, I would much rather buy something online and have it delivered at my door as opposed to going to a GC & trying to hear a piece of gear over the drone of 12 kids playing SRV & Zepplin.

Will

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Interesting article. There was a lot of financial talk in that article that made my eyes start to glaze over. I know some people have had good luck with GC but can't say I've ever shared in any of that luck. I usually just get a (un)healthy dose of attitude.

Of course this being the internet, the comments below the article were entertaining, sometimes ridiculous, and often completely unrelated to the article :lol:

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:27 pm

Maybe all the good GCs are just around Portland ;)
I got my first digital piano from the GC in Beaverton, got lessons with the guy that sold it to me and we've been good friends ever since. I imagine he'll have a hard-ish time finding work if all the GCs in the area shut down.
The article was interesting; I thought it might be a bit of a long bow to draw to claim that this is the beginning of the end for big box retail, but I can sorta see his point.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:53 pm

I tend to follow all of your thoughts as I've purchased guitars and accessories from GC over the years, and have had both good and bad experiences. A few of these good experiences include a Broadcaster, ASAT Jr, and a ASAT Classic Custom. It is a long shot GC is going out of business any time really soon, but I found his research interesting. If they do start having fire sales I will be first in line for used ASAT's :D

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Start saving your change. The fire sale may be sooner than you think.

http://geargods.net/news/guitar-center/

--GDub

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:16 pm

I can hear change jingling in my pocket now!!

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Ah, progress. It's like the virtual world is taking over the physical. I loves my internet machine, but it may end up destroying us all. As an artist and musician: 600,000 Spotify plays for $110.00? Sure it may attract attention, but you can't gig everywhere... I guess the near future will be in licensing.

As for GC, I have a good relationship with their vintage/high-end department. They have paid me well for my lefties and I have NO complaints. I can't tell you how many left handed pros out there have my stuff and that was all due to GC. My situation may be unique as I have never bought a guitar from them...

Good luck with the fire sale and we'll see what's left when the smoke clears.

Cheers,

Will

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:06 am

sam wrote:maybe we can get back to good ol' Mom and Pop stores

I hope not. Internet, and shipped to the door is my preference.

I have no problem with internet beating the local competition. It is best for the consumer.
GC isn't the only company taking a beating from the internet. Check out Black Friday. Every year it gets worse. And I do believe that has to do with internet shopping.
Hooray for the internet! Let the consumer decide.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:03 pm

Hey meowmix,

Ya know, I have purchased from the internet more than I can count so I will agree on that. I just grew up in the days of a local shop that you built relationships with and was not run by folks that are in and out when they go back to work elsewhere or back to school.

Just thought the article was interesting with regards to the state of affairs at the "evil giant". (read sarcasm between the quotes.) ;)

Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Got a member across the sreet who placed an order for a JB-2 on Feb.10 on Musician's Friend. He canceled the order today (2/19) after receiving this from them:

If something does arrive damaged or defective, we can look into it, but we cannot guarantee we will be able to do a return.

Can't blame him.

Ken...

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:41 am

Being intrigued on this GC demise. I wanted to see what the net had to say. Would you believe there is a site called guitar center sucks? :lol: For giggles, I checked out what people were saying. Some of it was funny, and others were sad.

Apparently, workers are beginning to unionize. :| One person said " how to organize to help protect your rights and get what you deserve. ". http://guitarcentersucks.com/smf/index.php?topic=946.0

"And get what you deserve". :o The amount of economic ignorance is mind boggling. Be thankful you have a job because you ain't ENTITLED to anything. If I had an employee who thinks they are entitled, I would look for ways to let him go.

Another person said "Unions Are Good for Business, Productivity and the Economy" :crazy: http://guitarcentersucks.com/smf/index.php?topic=922.0
Oh really?!? Back in reality, this isn't so.

If the workers at GC unionize. The faster GC goes down the better.