Another Amp Option

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:50 pm

I have been casually looking for a head for my red JBL D130 cabinet. I had considered some build kits but have too many projects going so decided to get something that seemed a bit interesting with low power options. There are a lot of options and after looking at several I came across a Peavey Valveking MH20 head. I ordered it from MF with a 15% discount and it came in about $365. not bad for a decent tube amp.

It weighs less than 15 lbs and is a 20/5/1 watt selectable amp with EL34 output tubes. It has a high gaqin channel which I have no use for but it really does overdrive, even at 1 watt. It has a reverb which is really decent and overall it is a nice amp for the money. It has a send/return feature for pedals and also an XLR out if you want to go to a PA. It will work nicely as a backup amp in our band. The clean channel is very nice and the sound of this amp through the 15" JBL is wonderful. I will order some red tolex and cover it to match the cabinet. I am including some pictures so you can see the features. Another amp option for those looking. -- Darwin

Re: Another Amp Option

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:15 pm

sweet little amp , I think those have 2 EL84's tubes and three 12AX7 ??...... I have a few amps with EL84's and I like them , Peavey has some nice amps , I like my Classic 30 and 6505 plus , haven't owned a VK but I know they are very nice for the money ...... pretty amazing how loud 1 watt gets , bet it sounds good with that cab

Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:06 pm

Congratulations Darwin. Looks like a great buy. Enjoy!

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Nice find Darwin! Love that 1 watt option. Given that it is EL84 based, how does the sound compare with your Vox AC15?

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:17 pm

Hi Darwin,

Cool find. I just watched a few reviews and the Peavey boys look like they have an amp that is loaded with features. :thumbup: I have been considering a Blues Jr or Pro Jr to scale back my Blues Deluxe in size and power, and this could deserve a deeper look in a combo model. Like fianoman I would be interested to hear how you think this compares with the AC15, and if you can compare it with the Blues Jr or Deluxe Reverb. Look forward to hearing more feedback on the new amp.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:22 pm

Congrat's on your new peavey microamp, Darwin! I think peavey's are under-rated. Looks like it has some cool features. Do you dabble in any computer based recording?

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:47 am

Sam, and Fianoman, I would call it very similar to the Vox in some ways. I only used the clean channel on the Vox and the Peavey has much more for tone controls and that is only a plus for dialing in. The Peavey has more dirt if that is you game. I am running the Peavey through the JBL D130 and it is tone to kill for. It also adds to the Vox when I use it as an extension cab. They are both very quiet amps with no background noise.

John, I do my recording with Pro Tools and have no use for the computer output. I bet it would work nicely with Garage Band. Our lead player use a solid state Peavey back in the 80's/90's and it was indestructible and had a great speaker. He now uses a Fender Custom 15 which cuts through the mix much better.

Thanks folks.-- Darwin

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:36 pm

I will order some red tolex and cover it to match the cabinet.

Darwin, you really do have way too much time on your hands!

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:07 pm

Eddie, that's the hard part of retirement. Not enough time to do everything. I just spent the last hour tracking down wood dyes for the neck project. Will look at them tomorrow. The Tolex is on simmer at the moment. Too many decisions and having fun takes time! :evilgrin: :evilgrin: -- Darwin