NAD -- Long winded

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:09 pm

I bought a new Mesa Subway Blues in '94 and it is the only amp I have owned until now. I always enjoyed the simplicity of the single channel 5 knob layout and it has been adequate for my needs. Budgetary and space restraints have prevented me from collecting gear like many others. Since I have been gigging more frequently I felt a need for a second amp -- for backup purposes as well as something with a bit more headroom -- a good clean sound is most important to me. A vintage Fender was out of my range and even the reissues were more than I was willing to spend. I thought seriously about perhaps a used Hot Rod Deluxe or even another Subway Blues (I saw one on the local Craigslist for $500).
Then I ran across an ad in CL for a Mesa Lonestar 1X12 100W/50W for $700. I have played a friend's Lonestar Special -- the El-84 5W/15W/30W and was very impressed, but had never played the larger one. This one I looked at is the first version without the 10W option. It is in mint condition -- I offered $600 and we settled on $650 and I picked it up a couple of days ago...a rather simple uncomplicated Craigslist transaction (imagine that!)

This has so many more options than I am used to but still simpler than some of the new Mesas.
In addition to the 100W/50W choices there is a low power "tweed" option that incorporates a built-in VARIAC feature that enables you to reduce the line voltage to approximately 93 volts (with a steady 117 at the wall). "This TWEED power setting produces a spongier, scoopier response and allows you to power clip the amplifier at lower overall volumes."

You can choose between tube or diode rectifier. There are two separate reverbs -- "REVERB BRIGHT produces a vintage guitar amp style brighter sound filled with canyons of harmonics and the classic spring resonance, while REV WARM features a smoother, warmer character often associated with large plate studio reverbs." The reverb has separate controls for each channel. (It's one of the best sounding reverbs I've ever heard)

There is a Bias switch that enables you to use the stock 6L6 tubes or EL-34.

There is a Normal/Thick/Thicker toggle. Mesa describes it as follows: This 3 position mini toggle allows you to select between three different voicings. It selects what frequency the Treble control will enhance. By lowering the frequency of the treble capacitor, additional gain in these frequencies is added. This allows you to shape the sound for either sparkling clean sounds, or fatten up the Treble region and thicken the sound for more voice like single note solo sounds. Spend some time experimenting with this switch as it can be crucial to attain the lead sound you are searching for as well as allowing you to cop the vibe of several classic amp styles.

In addition to the two channels there is a "Solo" boost option controlled by the footswitch.

I have always thought that matching speaker impedance was important but Mesa actually recommends using the 4 ohm speaker output when running at 50W. Here is what they say about it:
"At some point in your experimentation with the Channel Power Select switches, try setting one or both of the Channels to
50W and moving the Speaker Load to the 4 Ohm jack. This produces a brighter, snappier response that is great for certain applications, especially clean sounds. There is no right way, but the difference in response is definitely worth investigating for both clean and overdriven sounds."

If you're still reading this you're probably wondering what my actual experience is. I brought it to practice last night and was able to really put it through it's paces for the first time. I must say that I was entirely blown away -- some of the best sounds I have ever produced. If you've ever looked at a Mesa user manual, they always have a few very useful sample settings and this is where I started. I was running at the full 100W in both channels with Channel One sparkling clean and Channel Two with a bit of overdrive. If I never used anything but the clean sound, the amp would still be well worth the price -- what a fantastic full sound I was able to get -- think Fender Twin -- I can describe it as "large", even at the same volume I always play. The second channel was very usable as well as the Solo Boost. I probably won't need to use my Green Screamer much any more.
I am extremely satisfied over all and think I got a great deal.
Here are the only negatives I can come up with:
1.)The Reverb controls are on the back panel.
2.)I don't especially like the mini toggles on many of the controls
3.)It is almost the size and weight of a Fender Twin (It does have casters, but they are not the removable ones that Mesa provides)

[image]http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu228/suaveddie/Lonestar1_zps602193f4.jpg[/image]

Re: NAD -- Long winded

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Hey Eddie,

BIG Congrats on the Boogie Lonestar and what a killer price! :happy0065: As a Boogie Lonestar Special user those Lonestar's are fantastic amps.

As far as the possible drawbacks

3.)It is almost the size and weight of a Fender Twin (It does have casters, but they are not the removable ones that Mesa provides)

1. yep, I agree with that one
2. you get used to them rather quickly as you know the tones you prefer
3. they are heavy suckers but casters do help, and you can always get removable ones, but hey who moves their own equipment, that's what the roadies are for :evilgrin:

Enjoy yer new Boogie and let us know what settings you like best. :sign0011:

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:14 am

Very nice rig Eddie although it sounds not so simple to me to run. Amps really top it off and our lead player uses two and has way more things that I could keep track of. You can't beat a good sounding amp couple with a player who knows how to use it. Enjoy and keep the back in shape! -- Darwin

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:54 am

sweet amp !! ....... I'm moving away from Combo's due to weight , but that looks nice enough to keep in the house and bolt it to the floor :)

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:01 am

Yes Darwin, the number of options can be a bit intimidating. The sample settings that Mesa provides are very useful. I'm kind of a "set it and forget it" kind of guy. Once I get it dialed in, I probably won't mess with it.

I've gone through far less amps over the years than most of the folks here. I started in the mid '60s with a Vibro Champ. Went through a Silvertone 1484 (twin), a Blackface Bassman, an Acoustic Control (anyone remember those Black and Blue boat anchors?), and a Randall RG-80 (one of the best sounding SS amps of it's time).

I've played many others that I did not own (including several vintage Fenders), but this Lonestar is the best sounding amp I've ever played through.
Last edited by suave eddie on Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:12 am

sam wrote:Hey Eddie,

BIG Congrats on the Boogie Lonestar and what a killer price! :happy0065: As a Boogie Lonestar Special user those Lonestar's are fantastic amps.

As far as the possible drawbacks

1. yep, I agree with that one
2. you get used to them rather quickly as you know the tones you prefer
3. they are heavy suckers but casters do help, and you can always get removable ones, but hey who moves their own equipment, that's what the roadies are for :evilgrin:

Enjoy yer new Boogie and let us know what settings you like best. :sign0011:

Hey Sam

A buddy has a Lonestar Special like yours. I've played it several times and was very impressed. I was sort of looking for one but the used ones around here were always in the $1000 range which was almost twice my budget. When this came along I jumped on it.

Do you find yourself using the full 30W setting most of the time, or do you dial it down the 5Watts? What's your experience with the "thick" settings.

Somewhere along the line, someone has replaced the tubes with Groove tubes. I don't know if this is an upgrade or not. I've always used Mesa Branded tubes as replacements in my Subway. As Randall Smith says, if you want your Mesa to sound like it did from the factory, use Mesa replacements. I've never had an issue with them.....and have never had the money nor the inclination to do much experimenting with tubes.
Last edited by suave eddie on Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:15 am

Fumble fingers wrote:sweet amp !! ....... I'm moving away from Combo's due to weight , but that looks nice enough to keep in the house and bolt it to the floor :)

They do make these in a "head" version. With all the cascading gain features, you could probably use it for Metal also.
Keep your eyes open for a Lonestar head.

Suave Eddie says "Check it out!"

Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:00 pm

This thing is heavier than I realized.
According to Mesa stats, it weighs 72 lb. A Twin Reverb weighs in at 69 lb (without JBLs).

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:19 pm

suave eddie wrote:This thing is heavier than I realized.
According to Mesa stats, it weighs 72 lb. A Twin Reverb weighs in at 69 lb (without JBLs).

that hurts my back just thinking about it :wave:

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:27 pm

[soundcloud][/soundcloud]
Fumble fingers wrote:
suave eddie wrote:This thing is heavier than I realized.

that hurts my back just thinking about it :wave:

Ya, I need some of Sam's roadies.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Duplicate post for some reason.
Last edited by suave eddie on Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:04 am

Thats a great deal Eddie. I heard one of those being played at a festival in the main street of a town - even in the open air it was putting out some great sounds and some serious decibels!

As a heavy amp owner, I can say that casters are OK, but a foldable trolley is far, far better for the simple reason that if you're playing somewhere without parking nearby (as I often do) pushing an amp on casters thats only 2ft high whilst carrying other stuff is hard work.

Enjoy the amp!

Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:00 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Thats a great deal Eddie. I heard one of those being played at a festival in the main street of a town - even in the open air it was putting out some great sounds and some serious decibels!

As a heavy amp owner, I can say that casters are OK, but a foldable trolley is far, far better for the simple reason that if you're playing somewhere without parking nearby (as I often do) pushing an amp on casters thats only 2ft high whilst carrying other stuff is hard work.

Enjoy the amp!

I do have a fold up dolly that I have been using for my gear all along. To transport this across any sizable distance I would definitely use it for this as well. The worst part of hauling one of these heavy amps is stairs--ugh!

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:17 am

Sometimes you just have to suckup the trade off for great tone. I am becoming a fan of Mesa amps. May your two wheeler get plenty of use ! I think I'll go hunt up a sound clip of your current and old amp. I'm glad you found something you liked and at a great price to boot.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Both the Lonestars, Classic and Special, are great amps. I would have been all over that deal!

I was thinking about getting the Lonestar Classic, but went all-in for the Mark V. No regrets. Still, if I found one like yours...I would HAVE to add it to my collection. :)

One tip...if you ever need to make it bigger, add one of the Horizontal Recto 212s underneath it. The closed back and the V30s will add tremendous punch and projection. I use one with my Maverick 212, and it is awesome!

And the Trac-Lock casters from MB are well worth the money, IMO. If you are moving it around town, a Tuki cover will help keep it nice, without the weight of a flight case. Do go for a good flight case for a tour, though.

Andy Timmons uses the Lonestar Classic, in an A/B rig with a Stiletto Deuce. Got to see him in a Mesa Clinic a few years ago. Awesome player, great tone. Check him out.

Bill

Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:21 am

Boogie Bill wrote:Both the Lonestars, Classic and Special, are great amps. I would have been all over that deal!

I was thinking about getting the Lonestar Classic, but went all-in for the Mark V. No regrets. Still, if I found one like yours...I would HAVE to add it to my collection. :)

One tip...if you ever need to make it bigger, add one of the Horizontal Recto 212s underneath it. The closed back and the V30s will add tremendous punch and projection. I use one with my Maverick 212, and it is awesome!

And the Trac-Lock casters from MB are well worth the money, IMO. If you are moving it around town, a Tuki cover will help keep it nice, without the weight of a flight case. Do go for a good flight case for a tour, though.

Andy Timmons uses the Lonestar Classic, in an A/B rig with a Stiletto Deuce. Got to see him in a Mesa Clinic a few years ago. Awesome player, great tone. Check him out.

Bill

I already have a EV12L equipped Thiele cab if I ever need to push more air.

As far as the casters, one of the previous owners installed what seem to be generic casters screwed directly to the cabinet. I don't know why they didn't get the MB ones which are far superior. I may at some point replace them.

It came with a MB cover -- the previous owner got it from the local music store where he bought the amp used and they didn't have the exact cover -- this one is a few inches wider than the amp --I'm not sure which Mesa amp it was made for but it serves the purpose.

Funny story from last night. Since I leave the amp at our practice space, last night was the second time I've really played it. I wanted to experiment a bit more with it so got to practice early before everyone else. For some reason it sounded like crap -- harsh and brittle sounding -- where did the awesome sparkling clean sound go that I heard last week? I kept tweaking the tone and presence controls to no avail until I finally realized that the Wah pedal was engaged with the pedal in the extreme downward position -- DOH!
After rectifying this I fell in love once again with it. What a sound!