fall maintenance 76 LP

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:33 am

i like Darwin's practice of fall maintenance. here are a few shots of my tidy LP...

Re: fall maintenance 76 LP

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:29 am

I'm working on a '70 goldtop now, it's nowhere near as tidy as yours .
how's the weight? mine is a boat anchor.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:03 am

John, great looking LP. I have never noticed a multi piece maple neck on an LP before. What is the body wood. I can't tell for sure as it doesn't appear to be Mahogany but I may be wrong.-- Darwin

Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:15 am

Elwood wrote:I'm working on a '70 goldtop now, it's nowhere near as tidy as yours .
how's the weight? mine is a boat anchor.

heavy it is. never weighed it, but might be interesting.
Lighter guitars, like my SG or my ASAT are much preferred on the older shoulder!
a '70 sounds like fun - hard wood sounds good :)

Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:22 am

darwinohm wrote:John, great looking LP. I have never noticed a multi piece maple neck on an LP before. What is the body wood. I can't tell for sure as it doesn't appear to be Mahogany but I may be wrong.-- Darwin

this one was originally intended as a deluxe, but in '76 they started making the "standard", and putting that on the truss rod nut cover plate, and routed them for regular sized humbuckers. they produced only 250 of the standards in '76, > 1000 the next year. gibson was criticized for making LP's different in the 70s. they had sandwiched mahogany bodies (i'll show a pic of this), maple tops, and 3 piece maple necks for awhile, as does mine. they were heavy as an anvil, but they still had great tone and sustain, and were durable for the road.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:10 am

Nice LP !! ..... it don't seem like anybody cared about weight much back in the day ??...... the builder or consumer ..... those heavy guitars sure sound good though , I have 4 G&L that are over 9 lbs and two of them are 10 pounders

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:26 am

Fumble fingers wrote:Nice LP !! ..... it don't seem like anybody cared about weight much back in the day ??...... the builder or consumer ..... those heavy guitars sure sound good though , I have 4 G&L that are over 9 lbs and two of them are 10 pounders

do you think that your heavier g&l's sound better than the lighter ones (such as the LE-2 or the fallout), and if so, which "heavy" is your fav based on sound/tone?

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:19 pm

the heavy weights sound good , but I don't really have a fair comparison like a light Broadcaster to compared with my heavy Broadcaster ....... I would say sound wise the Broadcaster is my favorite , SC2 , ASAT Classic is close as far as sitting at home and playing by myself (the SC 2 is the only one under 9 lbs of the mentioned ).... .... BUT .... now that we are recording my opinion on sound has changed somewhat , for example my Fallout is what I play in my band and to me the P90 sounds way better than the bridge SD , but on the recording tracks the SD blows the P90 away .... the SD is not on my list of favorite sounds from pick ups , but it cuts through the mix way way better than the P90 , the P90 gets lost in the mix ... remember we play Metal ....... before recording I didn't care much for the Seymor Duncan , since recording the SD moved way up the chart and I don't even play the P90 with the band anymore

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:the heavy weights sound good , but I don't really have a fair comparison like a light Broadcaster to compared with my heavy Broadcaster ....... I would say sound wise the Broadcaster is my favorite , SC2 , ASAT Classic is close as far as sitting at home and playing by myself (the SC 2 is the only one under 9 lbs of the mentioned ).... .... BUT .... now that we are recording my opinion on sound has changed somewhat , for example my Fallout is what I play in my band and to me the P90 sounds way better than the bridge SD , but on the recording tracks the SD blows the P90 away .... the SD is not on my list of favorite sounds from pick ups , but it cuts through the mix way way better than the P90 , the P90 gets lost in the mix ... remember we play Metal ....... before recording I didn't care much for the Seymor Duncan , since recording the SD moved way up the chart and I don't even play the P90 with the band anymore

i agree! i haven't done much recording, but you're right, it changes all the rules on how instruments/pups/amps sound. p90's are cool for blues or classic rock, esp with a tube amp, or an OD pedal or both. i would think you'd need 'buckers at the least, or even an active pickup for metal. sounds like pup's may guide your choice of axe more than mass, or tone wood.
of course, a good amp can get you the rest of the way there, esp playing out live.

with Tele or ASAT, on the other hand, i think the tone woods have more of an influence on their sound, in addition to the pups.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:03 pm

darwinohm wrote:John, great looking LP. I have never noticed a multi piece maple neck on an LP before. What is the body wood. I can't tell for sure as it doesn't appear to be Mahogany but I may be wrong.-- Darwin

Here's the sandwich body thing for LP's in 70's. Designed, no doubt, to save cost on tone woods. A common furniture construction technique, 2 pieces of mahogany with a thin slice of maple between...

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:04 pm

I don't always get along with the Norlin-era guitars, but that is a VERY beautiful guitar!

Bill

Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:00 am

Thx, BoogieBill. I bought it 'used' in Feb '77 at cintioli music in philly for $350. Inside the control compartment is stamped 12/7/1976. It already had some beltbuckle rash on the back, but otherwise was pristine. Took my breath away when they opened the plush purple case the 1st time, still does. It's my best sounding guitar in alot of ways, when playing out live, though i have been using my G&L's alot over the past year re: their tonal merits.