Bass advice

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi there, I'm thinking of getting a bass soon and need a bit of advice. I'd love to get a g&l, but they're kinda hard to find here in Australia. My initial thoughts are that is like a p-bass style guitar (partly cos I like the sound, partly cos the pickups will match my comanche), but I'm open to other suggestions. The fender p-bass would be the obvious choice, but I'm definitely open to bring pleasantly surprised by brands other than fender or Gibson. Can anyone recommend good brands/models to keep an eye out for?
Cheers
Pat

Re: Bass advice

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Pat, I think you have a good idea what is available and I'll bet some of our Oz forum members will check in but If you are specifically looking for a P-bass because of the neck width, that will limit you. If you find a used G&L Tribute of any kind, it would work but I would also keep an eye out for a used Musicman Stingray and I am not sure if Carvin is available there on the used market but they are incredible buys used and are a good basses. Hope this helps a bit. -- Darwin

Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:42 pm

Thanks, Darwin!
I'm a bit of a bass noon, so I hadn't considered neck width, to be honest. I go quite happily from a classical guitar (2" wide) to a standard electric neck (1 5/8" wide), so I'll probably be OK but I guess I should try a few and see if I have a preference. I haven't seen any music man basses around, but I think carvins are available over here.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:07 am

Pat,

The sound you're after should also factor in. Are there any particular styles you'll focus on, or any players you'd like to sound like?

Ken

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Thanks, Ken - I probably lean toward classic and indie rock, there aren't really any bad players I follow (I have lots of respect for Sting, but that's as much for his songwriting and musical philosophy as his playing). The main descriptors that come to mind of I were to try to describe the sound I want are "articulate" and "versatile".
As I read these parts back, I realize how vague they sound, so thanks everyone for your patience :)

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:52 pm

I'll start off by saying that I'm tend towards older G&Ls, and don't have experience with any model that has been introduced since the mid-'90s. So, I can't offer an opinion on models like the LB-100 reissue, the JB, JB-2, MJ-4, etc.

An L-2000 or ASAT Bass (really the same thing, just in different packages) would give you a very broad range of tones to chose from. They can go deep and thumpy, high and ringy, or just about anywhere in between. It's easily as versatile as anything else on the market, and more versatile than most. You can switch between three pickup configurations, series and parallel, and active or passive. I keep my L-2000 strung with good quality flats for a very deep and full sound, and have kept the previous owner's roundwounds on my ASAT Bass. FWIW, that is the only bass I have rounds on and intend to keep that way.

An SB-1 would give you a good, solid fundamental sound. The controls are simple (just volume and tone), but the split MFD pickup is very powerful. I haven't played an SB-2, but I expect it would be slightly more versatile than an SB-1 due to having a bridge pickup. That should give a bit more brightness.

I am a big fan of the L-1500. It doesn't get nearly the recognition it deserves. Plucking the strings right over the pickup sounds a lot like a Musicman Stingray - bright and aggressive - but moving up and plucking right off the end of the fretboard really thickens up the tone.

I hope this is helpful. If you check my old posts, there are a couple where I tried to describe Leo-era basses. I still haven't gotten around to setting up to record sound clips.

Ken

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:23 pm

Thanks, Ken, that's a great list :)
Something like the SB1/2 sounds like a good platform and the L-2000 definitely sounds versatile. Haven't seen an L-1500 around before, I'll keep an eye out!

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:34 pm

L-2000's/ASAT basses are fantasticly fun :elguitar054:

How about this one?...seems like a good deal.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fraser-c ... 1060937224

Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:21 pm

Elwood wrote:How about this one?...seems like a good deal.

Wow! That's Leo-era, or very early BBE. The jack has been modded, but that's minor and possibly reversible. My checkbook is glad that this one is halfway across the globe!

Seriously, if you are considering a G&L and this one is anywhere near your price range I'd go for it. These old ones have a magic to them that you won't find elsewhere.

Ken

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Hey Patrick, I have an LB-100 that is a fantastic instrument. I took a punt and just ordered one, but thats the only way that I know of to get hold of any G&L :)

I'd seriously consider a Japanese Fender, they're easily as good as the US standards, and half the price. Are they as good as a G&L? I really can't say as they're much more 'vintage' oriented. The models with "-US" in their model names (specifying US made pickups) seem slightly better made than those without and are worth the little bit extra cash. IMO there's simply no better choice. Check THIS out. I've bought two Teles from this shop, shipping is about $140 and takes 3-4 days.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:45 pm

Sweet, thanks guys!
That asat bass is a little more than I was thinking of spending, and shipping from QLD to NSW wouldn't be cheap, but it's such a good price for a leo-era instrument that I might have to have a good think about it.
Jamie, thanks for the link to the Japanese site, too, if never heard of them before but the stuff looks good :)

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:44 am

Well, I very nearly pulled the trigger in an l-2500 bass (https://webshop.cashconverters.com.au/item/1944743/bass-guitar-g-andl--l-2500, but it's in QLD and they can't ship to NSW. I'll keep my eye out, thanks again for all the help!

Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:04 am

try jacksmusic.com.au for a new L2500 (or any G&L) in NSW not too different to the cashies price

cheers
jeremy

Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:31 am

Thanks, Jeremy.
I've had a look at Jack's before, and their prices are definitely reasonable. Once you factor in shipping, it's not that different to the crime converters (sorry, cash converters ;) ) price.
Cheers
Pat

Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Today is now NBD!!

Thanks to everyone for their advice; today I snapped up a Tribute L2500 and I'm thrilled with it. Super versatile, as everyone said, and it felt great under the fingers straight away. I tried a couple of "starter" basses in music shops over the past few weeks and they felt very one-dimensional, but this is a proper instrument right out of the bag (it did come with the original gig bag, too!)

Of course, it doesn't exist without pics, so here it is :)

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:22 am

Great find Pat. Very nice looking bass. Enjoy! -- Darwin

Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks, Darwin :)
The cherryburst finish is beginning to grow on me, but more importantly I'm loving all the different sound combos!

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Nice!

Bill

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:27 am

That's a fantastic first bass! Have a great time playing it.

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Thanks heaps, guys. It's been feeling really good under the fingers so far. I'll hopefully have a chance to do some recording with it this weekend :)