Band instrument

Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:45 am

Howdy all,

My multi instrument playing son (guitar, piano and trumpet ) is now playing french horn in the school band and his instructor says he is ready for the double french horn. Great for him BUT, we can't rent a double french horn like we are the single we have to buy. :shocked028:

Anyone here have band instrument rent / purchase experience and recommendations? I am leary of buying a brass instrument without seeing it, unless it is reputable company with lots of feedback or company like Musicians Friend.

Any places you can point me to appreciated.

Re: Band instrument

Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:37 am

I've had excellent luck going through my local used guitar shop (Atomic Music in Beltsville MD) for my kids' band instruments. People who have moved from school bands to rock/blues trade their horns or strings for guitar gear, so there is usually band stuff kicking around the back rooms. I've purchased my son's alto and tenor saxes there, as well as my younger son's 1/4-size string bass. The prices have been far below what a band instrument supply store would have charged. I don't know if you have any used guitar shops nearby, but they could be worth checking out.

I also purchased a used bass clarinet from Sam Ash last winter. It took a couple of tries to get the right one (the first had some undisclosed problems, so it went back). They have a pretty broad selection on their used gear website.

Ken

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:22 pm

Thanks Ken, great suggestions!

We have plenty of shops in the area that I will go to and I will look at Sam Ash. Their reputation is good and since you were able to return bad one, will see what they have. Thanks again.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:58 pm

I don't know where you are, but we have had great success/treatment from Kennelly Keys (they are based in Washington). Rented trumpets, saxophones, and snare drums.