Some Gear Review

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:00 pm

As I have posted before I do not use any of my original guitar cases while gigging as I like to keep them as new. For the last year I have been using 2 WolfPak cases to carry my main and backup bass. A couple of weeks ago I did some research on double bass cases so I could carry both bass guitars in one case. The two I researched were the Mono double bass case and the Reunion Blues RBX double bass case. They are very similar in concept and after deciding the Reunion Blues RBX would give similar protection I ordered it, the deciding factor being it was $120 less than the Mono. After using, it does the job very well. I accidently dropped it and there was just a slight thud. I was shocked but opened the case to see the results- no damage. I have dropped speaker cabinets but never a guitar. This case saved the guitars from damage. I am a happy camper and if I were carrying more than one guitar as a lead player I would consider one of these. Here are some pictures to show how it is set up.

The case:

The bottom loaded with my Carvin:

The top loaded with my M-2500:

A photo showing upper and lower compartments loaded:

And a photo showing the height of the case:

The dropping incident happened the second night I used it and as far as I am concerned it has already earned it's keep. The total weight of the bass case loaded is less than 25 Lbs. The WolfPak's are on CL and they served me well.

Second review is on the Thomastik-Infeld flat wound jazz bass strings. Fellow forum member Alf Stutzmann sent a set of these to me about a year ago. I had never heard of them before. I put them on the Asat Bass and used them for our recording. They are awesome and last February I ordered a 5 string set for my M-2500 Tribute. Again, stellar results and they seem to go very well with G&L pickups not to mention the feel and ease of playing. Finally last week I ordered a set for my Carvin. I get them from Strings and Beyond and I needed 34" scale for the Carvin (super long) and Strings and Beyond had to special order the 34" scale low B string. I still received the strings in less than 5 days from the time of the order. The Strings and Beyond people are great to work with, called me back after checking on the B string and in less than a half hour the order was placed. I couldn't recommend them more highly. The strings also work very well on the Carvin as I used it a bit last weekend.

Last Review, but not least, is the M-2500 Tribute that I purchased last January. I have owned 3 American G&L basses, L-2000, L-2500, and Asat, and this M-2500 is hands down the best bass I have ever owned and that include several American Fenders. Maybe this one is just a great one but the sound, build quality, and feel are perfect for me. It is and has been my main gigger. I use the others for a set at times but this one does it for me. It has a rosewood fretboard and I prefer maple so a while back I ordered a neck from the G&L store for next to nothing. It is getting finished this winter and will be on before spring. The satin neck has really glossed up on this one which is what I prefer. The new nock will be tinted high gloss. I have 16 American G&L's but I have to admit that this Tribute would be difficult to pry from my hands, although most of you young guys could do it. Today a happy camper I am. Can I have a cold one? -- Darwin

Re: Some Gear Review

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:51 am

I cannot rave enough about my Reunion Blues case. I forget that I even own the custom quality G&G case my ASAT came with.
I'm not surprised in the least that your instruments passed the drop test. I'm sure by now most of you have seen the promo that Reunion Blues posted on Youtube.

[youtube]03JU695A6hE[/youtube]