Inspiration By Other Members

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:18 pm

Tim's pawn shop maneuvers and Jos's additions to the northwest G&L museum are inspiring. I try to stay out of guitar shops and do frequent them less but I scan CL like there is no tomorrow. About a month and a half ago I found a JBL d130 (15 in) on Cl and jumped on it. It had been recently reconed and was like new plus the price was next to nothing. Done deal. I found a college student who was into making speaker cabinets, mostly bass cabinets that I couldn't lift but they sounded killer. I asked him about building a cabinet for the JBL and he said that he could, I told him what I wanted and he told me how he would do it. It turned out beautiful and I wanted a removable panel on the back so I could use it open or closed. He designed that perfect, a press fit panel with a handle to remove. The corners on the cab look black in the photo but the hardware is chrome. I think I prefer the sound of the closed back. The cabinet is 47 Lbs. This was not too difficult to run by Ginny as it was not a big ticket expense. I am looking for a head to use with it and would like to find a Vox Ac15 kit to build. Any ideas?

Now more of a problem is the Surh Classic T I showed up with a couple of weeks ago. That did get a larger reflection on the radar at home as it was not a small ticket item. It is Candy Apple Red, (my fav) and a perfect companion to my Suhr Surf Green Pro. This T is a killer, has both from and rear contours and has a different pickguard. I also have the Matte Black original so I can switch if I wish. You can't hide something like this and I wasn't going to buy any more guitars this year. The biggest problem is I am out of room. One of the rules is I can't have them sitting on the floor. That worked for a while but I now have 17 on the floor in long racks. You get the drift. I always smile when new members tell us about their first G&L. I solved that buy adding more hangars on the wall and have a third row. This is the ultimate solution as I now have room for expansion. This Classic T weighs 7 Lbs 4 Oz and has a slim c neck with medium frets, a combination I like. So you other guys have inspired me and I may have to say "Yes Dear" a bit more but I will mind my P's and Q's and stay out of trouble. Here are some photos. -- Darwin

Re: Inspiration By Other Members

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Congratulations on the new acquisitions Darwin! Love the candy apple red on the T and the workmanship on the cabinet looks first rate. :D

Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:55 pm

beautiful Darwin !! cab and T !! ..... your cab is the bomb !! .... My back has been sore for about 6 weeks now and has me re-thinking my amp situation too ..... I"m thinking I will replace all my combo's with head 1x12 and or 2x12 cab just for the weight savings , for my Fender replacement I think I'm going with a Carvin VT50 head with a Richard Hassebrock mod done on it , Hassebrock lives in Fullerton ( what a coincidence ?.. must be in the water there ? ) and has some nice mods for the Carvin Vintage series amp " Hasserlmod " ..... I have had quite a few people tell me here lately that the Carvin Vintage series can match Fender cleans and if you like a fuller sound than Fender then the Carvin will blow them away ... the Hasserl mod adds with the turn of a dial Marshal sound with out effecting the cleans ..... my super reverb has got to be every bit of 90 lbs and the Twin is right behind that just under 80 lbs , my Peavey 6505 + is right at 70 pounds and my back just can't do it anymore .... I will keep my Peavey Classic 30 but that's the only combo I plan on keeping

probably getting this ..... 10 day return no questions asked , figured I can't go wrong
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/VT50

with this cab
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/VT50

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:22 am

Eric, I have had back problems for years. I have quit using my 4-10 speaker cabinet (100 Lbs) and replaced it with a 2-12 at about 50 Lbs. I am in no hurry for a head but something will pop up. Weight really does make a difference for me. Last weekend I used my M-2500 the first set and decided to use my Carvin KOA the second set. It was like meeting an old friend again. The Carvin is 2 1/2 Lbs lighter. I used it the rest of the gig and will probably use it this weekend. Age does things to us.

There has been a Comanche for sale on the forum that I would love to own but it is heavy. I try to find lighter guitars and the Surh that I just bought is 7 Lbs 4 Oz , more to my liking. So weight is a major consideration. Thanks for your input Eric.

Case, I love the cabinet and it is killer as it the T. -- Darwin

Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:27 pm

I have installed the original Pickguard on the Suhr T and it is going to stay. Here it is.

Also a new grill cloth on the new cabinet. -- Darwin

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:14 pm

hell yah !! ... that looks way better , hard to believe someone took that off on purpose :rolleyes: