What's your favorite G&L / amp combination?

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:25 pm

I was playing around with my ASAT Classic tonight trying it through different amps I have. The combination that is my current favorite is the ASAT through my 5E3 Deluxe clone. I read a quote one time from Bill Kirchen that a Tele through a Deluxe was the money rig. I can't play like Bill but I think I have an idea of what he was talking about. Crank the little Deluxe up and the rectifier starts to sag and compress and sustain a note for as long as you want to hold it. It really brings out the sound of the ASAT. If you ever get a chance, you owe it to yourself to try one. Really gives the notes some spank and bounce. Way better than any distortion pedal ever produced.

My other favorite rig is my ASAT through my Vibrolux Reverb; the weapon of choice for the late, great Roy Buchanan. Again, it has that wonderful tube rectified sag and bounce but can stay clean a lot further on up the dial. The 2X10 speaker combination seems really well suited to the ASAT.

What's your favorite combination and why?

Re: What's your favorite G&L / amp combination?

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:57 pm

I was inspired by Nick Jaffe and his demo of his Fallout straight into a low watt amp. That amp was a Fender pro jr. I loved the noises coming out of it. I picked one up a few weeks ago and was not disappointed. Both my guitars sound great through it, ( an Sc-2 and an S-500 ). For a 15 watt amp it is incredibly loud but not muddy. I use my BYOC british blues over drive so I can get some grit at low volumes, otherwise I wait till I have the house to my self.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:51 pm

my favorite would have to be my Classic , Broadcaster and SC 2 .... basically big MFD's and the ASAT Classic with my Super Reverb and twin reverb , both amps mid 70's models ..... I don't have that many amps yet in my arsenal and the bottom three are on consignment at a local music store
Peavey 6505 +
Peavey Classic 30
1976 Fender Super Reverb
1973 Fender twin Reverb
1971 Kustom sidewinder
Vox AC4TV
Line 6 spider III 15 watt

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:04 pm

In my low-ender opinion, an El Toro through an early '60s Ampeg B-15N is close to heaven. I'd rate an ASAT Bass through the same amp as a close second.

I still have a lot of exploring to do with guitar amps. My go-to for the past three years has been a US-built Blues Junior. I've liked it with every G&L I've run through it, but nothing makes that amp sing the way a G-200 does. :)

For a while I was using a mid-'80s Roland JC-120. It sounded surprisingly good with my old ASAT Classic, especially with a good compressor in the chain.

Ken

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:17 am

For bass, things are simple for me as I have only one rig; L1500 into Fender Super Bassman 300 vintage channel, SWR cabs (the latter being the limiting factor to 100% satisfaction).

Guitars, well this varies from day to day. The ASAT Super with my Fuchs Full House 50 (slightly modded to have more sound options) is a serious weapon and the most touch dynamic set I've ever had, a very articulate rock tone yet with enough grit&bite to cut through. Close to equal touch dynamics, but with a mellower soaring sound with endless sustain I get from my Invader and the Jet City JCA100H, but this amp has been modded quite bit to get what I wanted. Both amps have added supply sag to get that fat compression when driven hard.

In the current band context a PRS SE Bernie Marsden (a true Les Paul Killer) on the JCA works even better to complement the other guitarist's sound, coming from his 'industry standard' rig, Fender Strat plus Marshall JCM800 (2204)

Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:46 am

Case24 wrote:I read a quote one time from Bill Kirchen that a Tele through a Deluxe was the money rig.

Hi, sorry if this sounds daft, but when you say Deluxe, which model are you referring to? I have been looking at Fender amps and there are about 3-4 models with the word Deluxe in the name.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:08 pm

My favorite combo ( and the one I play exclusively) is the Rivera Venus 3 and my LE-2, the WR Z-3 is on equal footing but for different reasons. They are magical combination.

~JagInTheBag

Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:38 pm

So far, for me, it's the Soldano Lucky 13 or a Fender Vibroverb.

Here's a video of the guy who helped design it for Soldano and demoing my amp. Mine's actually a prototype...

[youtube]BRBQcu_Qbm8[/youtube]

Cheers,

Will

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:22 am

Everything, including my G&L, sounds great through my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia 1-12 combo. 18 watts of whoop-ass.

(Sorry, I don't have a photo of the G&L with the Dr. Z)

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:21 am

Jim_H wrote:
Case24 wrote:I read a quote one time from Bill Kirchen that a Tele through a Deluxe was the money rig.

Hi, sorry if this sounds daft, but when you say Deluxe, which model are you referring to? I have been looking at Fender amps and there are about 3-4 models with the word Deluxe in the name.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Sorry for the confusion. He (and I) was referring to a 5E3 Deluxe or bettr known as a Tweed Deluxe. A Blackface/Silverface Deluxe Reverb has a different circuit with more clean headroom. A Hotrod Deluxe has nothing in common with either of the above. The 5E3 Deluxe that I have a clone of is a nasty little amp when driven hard with a glorious overdriven sound. Great for blues or classic rock.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:23 am

dapmdave wrote:Everything, including my G&L, sounds great through my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia 1-12 combo. 18 watts of whoop-ass.

One of the best sounding amps that Dr Z makes! I love the simplicity of the controls. Congratulations. :D

Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:08 pm

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:23 pm

Case24 wrote:
dapmdave wrote:Everything, including my G&L, sounds great through my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia 1-12 combo. 18 watts of whoop-ass.

One of the best sounding amps that Dr Z makes! I love the simplicity of the controls. Congratulations. :D

Yep, thanks. Volume and Tone, but wow are those two knobs effective.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:28 pm

Beautiful bass, LarryNJ. Simple and elegant.

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:56 am

Thanks! I 'm always impressed with it.

I've had an ASAT, an L2K, and an SB-2- All superb bass guitars, but I must say, the M-series is THE business, IMO!
:mrgreen:

...And through an all-tube rig, like my Ashdown

OY!
:happy0007:

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:04 am

I would have to say my Legacy through my 1967 fender Super Reverb (which I foolishly traded away for a Les Paul). At least I flipped the Les Paul for a profit though. Sounds good through my 4x10 Deville too, but not quite as nice imo. I also have a small Vox AD30VT which sounds surprisingly good with the vintage single coils in my guitar.