UM...check this out

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:41 pm

I caught an umphrey's mcgee show at the tower theatre in philly a few weeks ago, and was amazed at how satisfying it was, they played for almost 3 hrs, great original music (and a police cover, driven to tears). great light show. awesome guitar work (jake cinninger on a G&L legacy 2hb with emg's is his latest axe, though he often uses s-500, and s-500 deluxe, and brendan bayliss on a prs single cut). one of the tunes they played, fussy dutchman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnRYPNkfvcI , is a good example of what they can do. If you get a chance to see them, go for it, you won't be disappointed. they play out 120 gigs a year and tix are very reasonable.

Re: UM...check this out

Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:31 pm

Super band that should have more exposure. Not your typical jam band at all and Jake Cinninger does some killer work on his G&L.

They have been doing 3-4 days for New Years in Atlanta last few years with great reviews. May have to make a trip........

Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:33 pm

I have them recorded on the DVR from the Pallidia channel .... that youtube video was taken about 20 minutes from my house , I would of loved to see them

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:29 pm

my son went to see them at electric forest in michigan back in june. he described that experience as apocolyptic. you're right, UM is quite different from the Dead, Phish, etc, in many ways. their latest release, similar skin, is probably their best studio record yet. those new years shows always sell out way ahead of time, must be something special!