Something Different For Spice In Life

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:40 am

I just picked this up a couple of days ago. I already have a JBL D 130F 15" in my Fender Vibrasonic Reverb. They are efficient and are tone monsters. I came across this on CL a couple of days ago and jumped immediately. It wouldn't have been a problem if I had to recone it but turns out this had already been done. This is a D 130 and the only real difference is the F designation means they were built for Fender. I am going to have a closed back extension cabinet built for this one. It is probably built in the 60's or very early 70's at the latest. Here it is. What is your tone monster speaker choice? -- Darwin

Re: Something Different For Spice In Life

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:24 pm

Darwin,

Very nice! These are in my 2X12 oversized cab:

Two 12″ USA-made Eminence Legend V1216's

Cheers,

Will

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:36 pm

I love those , you have good taste sir :)
I have old D131's in my mesa theile cabs , it was one of those eureka OMG moments that reinvigorated my enthusiasm for
playing .
Detailed highs, tight bass, slight compression in the upper mids/low highs...all that makes for some happy ears,
they are my favorite tone monsters.
I was surprised a bit when I played some high gain material through them and they really shined.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Congratulations Darwin! That's a great find. Those old JBL's are quite the tone monsters as you say. I have an Eminence The Wizard in my Traynor that is a great sounding speaker. It's rated at 103db and makes the 25 watt Traynor sound like a 50 watt.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:17 am

Will, the Lucky 13 is sweet. I especially like the Tolex color. Looks like there are a lot of fans of Eminence around here. I am also an Eminence fan and and have them in different amps. -- Darwin

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:30 pm

1+ for the Emmi Wizard. Pretty ultimate rock tone and as loud as it gets. Not my favorite for cleans, though.
Recently I discovered Warehouse Guitar Speaker (WGS), they do make some very good drivers that don't cost a fortune.
The most exotic speaker I've used is a Beyma 12MI100 which is a pro PA midrange with an extremely well-controlled and mellow breakup, yet it has a very special "see-through" type of thing going on...

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:54 pm

Darwin, I remember hearing one of those JBLs, in a Fender I believe, in the '70s. Sweetness beyond my young bank balance!
I would love a cab with one of them in it now.
My favourite Eminence thus far is the Red White and Blues that I put in my Deluxe Reverb. It still has the present sensitivity of its predecessor, but no longer leaves the bass and mids behind. Everything feels much more balanced and playable, and I'm enjoying it very much. Very musical and now a great combo.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:39 am

Here's a good pic showing the oversized cab:

Too bad Ovation / Adamas are no more...

Regards,

Will

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:44 am

Beautiful cab and Ovation. I have a 12 fret Adamas, a superb guitar! -- Thanks Will -- Darwin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Nice grab Darwin! Always wanted to try out some old jbl's but have not come across any (locally) yet. I did have a pair of 12" Electro Voice SRO's Image
Fantastic speakers, very loud and extremely heavy, since I don't have roadies they had to go :lol:

Currently have a pair of Webers in my Vibrolux, one alnico one ceramic may switch back to both ceramic, I like the tighter bass :mrgreen:

-Dave

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:57 am

Wow Dave, look at the magnate on that EV. No wonder it's heavy. There are a lot of good speakers out there. I have an 8" Weber in my little ValveTrain and it is sweet.

I am currently having a cabinet built for this JBL. It will be an extension speaker. We have compared this speaker against the Custom 15 Fender in now using. We think the JBL is a bit fuller and cleaner. Thanks Dave -- Darwin

Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:54 pm

Dave_P wrote:Currently have a pair of Webers in my Vibrolux, one alnico one ceramic may switch back to both ceramic, I like the tighter bass :mrgreen:

-Dave

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but which Weber's do you have Dave? I still have the original CTS ceramics in my Vibrolux Reverb which I like, but I'm always interested in what others are using.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:49 pm

Darwin, those aren't covers either that whole thing is the magnet my 2x12 cab weighed over 80lbs, too much to lug around and too loud for the venues we were playing. They sure did sound good though, sold them to a studio maybe they'll be on a hit album someday!

Case, I went with the 10F150 and the 10A125. I think we have the same amp '79 vibrolux reverb, mine had reissue Jensens in it they were ok but lacking low end and the highs were thin too. Then I went to a pair of weber Sig series (10 + 10s both ceramic) whichever one was the smooth cone I didn't like and sold, replaced with the 10f150 that I got for a steal on CL. I really liked the combo of Sig series and 10f150 but felt like the Sig was getting over powered (less efficient) so bought the 10a125 based on lots of forum searching. I was sadly disappointed at first, that switch left me with farty bass. On a whim I swapped tubes from NOS 6L6wgb's to sed winged =c= and the bass is much improved.

Anyway, if the CTS aren't doing it for you the signature series is a great option or a tube swap may be what you need. I've never had the chance to hear this amp with the original speakers,regardless I'd hang on to them...or you could always send them my way :mrgreen:

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:18 am

Dave_P wrote:Darwin, those aren't covers either that whole thing is the magnet my 2x12 cab weighed over 80lbs, too much to lug around and too loud for the venues we were playing. They sure did sound good though, sold them to a studio maybe they'll be on a hit album someday!

Case, I went with the 10F150 and the 10A125. I think we have the same amp '79 vibrolux reverb, mine had reissue Jensens in it they were ok but lacking low end and the highs were thin too. Then I went to a pair of weber Sig series (10 + 10s both ceramic) whichever one was the smooth cone I didn't like and sold, replaced with the 10f150 that I got for a steal on CL. I really liked the combo of Sig series and 10f150 but felt like the Sig was getting over powered (less efficient) so bought the 10a125 based on lots of forum searching. I was sadly disappointed at first, that switch left me with farty bass. On a whim I swapped tubes from NOS 6L6wgb's to sed winged =c= and the bass is much improved.

Anyway, if the CTS aren't doing it for you the signature series is a great option or a tube swap may be what you need. I've never had the chance to hear this amp with the original speakers,regardless I'd hang on to them...or you could always send them my way :mrgreen:

Thanks for the tone report Dave. I've heard good things about the Weber 10F150 series and you've just confirmed it. Funny you mention tubes; I put a set of =C= 6L6GC's in mine as well and it really improved the tone of the amp. Firm bass and incredible sustain now with more harmonics. And don't worry, I won't be letting the original CTS speakers go anywhere. I like them but I'm just looking for replacements to preserve them.

Greg.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:16 pm

I put a set of =C= 6L6GC's in mine as well and it really improved the tone of the amp. Firm bass and incredible sustain now with more harmonics. And don't worry, I won't be letting the original CTS speakers go anywhere. I like them but I'm just looking for replacements to preserve them

I was bummed to hear that the sed factory closed earlier this year, better stock up now before prices get ridiculous!

Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:42 am

Yeah, I'm a "winged C" guy too. Those tubes you can barely see in the Lucky 13 are Svetlana's...

http://tctubes.com/ has them and they're in my & Darwin's neck o' the woods.

Cheers,

Will