My recent amp aquisition...

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:43 pm

I picked up a 1979 Fender Vibrolux Reverb in a trade with a friend of mine about 2 weeks ago. I can't wipe the grin off my face every time I play this thing! My ASAT Classic sure loves this amp. There must be something about 6L6 tubes and the ASAT because it sure brings out the true sound of the guitar. I put a pair of SED =C= 6L6GC tubes in it today as the old original 6L6's were still in it and pretty tired. They really perked up the tone of the amp. Big, firm bottom and a beautiful shimmering high now. If you get a chance to pick one of these amps up I highly recommend. :banana:

Fits into the family really nice I think. :lol:

Re: My recent amp aquisition...

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:53 pm

I love it !! ..... they do sound good with MDF's .... I have a 76 Super Reverb and 73 Twin Reverb ..... I'm totally happy with silver face too

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:Great amp! I've always liked many of the Silverface amps as they have the vintage tone without the Blackface price tag!
Nice move!
Regards,
Tim

Thanks Tim! I know there were some changes made by CBS, but I think the tone was still there. Prices are starting to rise too.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:34 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:I love it !! ..... they do sound good with MDF's .... I have a 76 Super Reverb and 73 Twin Reverb ..... I'm totally happy with silver face too

Thanks! The tone is just beautiful with the ASAT. I would love a Super Reverb but have no justification for it. A '73 Twin would be the 100 watt model? I can't imagine what that must feel like to stand in front of. :shock:
Post up some pics of yours sometime. I'd love to see them.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:22 pm

this probably won't show up but heres my 73 twin

1976 Super Reverb

Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:this probably won't show up but heres my 73 twin

1976 Super Reverb

Nice! Thanks for sharing. Do you use the Master Volume on either? Just curious of your opinion of that feature. My VR has no MV but it has the much hated volume pull boost on the Vibrato channel. I tried it and I can't imagine why you'd use it but it has no effect on the tone if you don't use it.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:06 pm

both of mine have the master volume plus channel volume and I use the master ...... the Super you can use it to get tube break up real nice at moderate volume , the Twin I use it just to turn down volume a bit in the house , the Twin seems to have too much power for natural tube break up even with the master volume but it takes pedals great