RIP Charlie Haden

Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:13 pm

I just saw the news today that Charlie Haden passed away. He was one of my biggest influences over the past twenty years; one of the main reasons I took up the upright bass was to be able to play something approaching his style (the other was to bow triple stops like John Coltrane's bassist Jimmy Garrison, which I still can't do!). If you're not familiar with Charlie Haden's playing, here are a couple of classic tracks from Ornette Coleman's "The Shape of Jazz to Come", which was recorded in 1957 IIRC:

[youtube]gElsVNOSOUc[/youtube]

[youtube]bJULMOw69EI[/youtube]

Here's a solo performance of Lonely Woman:

[youtube]ISYsINi8rLw[/youtube]

This is one of my favorites to play on upright or on fretless. Over the years he also did a lot of work with guitarists (especially Pat Metheny):

[youtube]-foGEWuf7o0[/youtube]

Ken

Re: RIP Charlie Haden

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:37 pm

Damn, another one of my favourites gone. His album 'Nocturne' is a house favourite, we will have to spin it this evening.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:21 am

Wow, that is news to me.
I saw Charlie live years back, and of course he was one of the greats. From what I heard, a very socially aware and involved Human Being as well.

RIP. Mr Haden.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:59 pm

Have seen Charlie in many settings. Always admired his social conscious. The heavenly band got a hell of a lot better ...

Thanks for the music Charlie,

- Jos