Re: UGD Shock & Awe

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:08 am

Tim, I've often found myself eyeballing one of these. It is what I wish the G-200 would have been- if it was, then perhaps it would still be in the G&L lineup. Very cool get! Tone report please.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:09 am

Thats a beauty, congrats Tim!!

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:20 am

P.S. Reminds me of the PRS Starla. Perhaps one of their influences.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:12 am

I like it !! .... I have a Copy LP that plays nice , still prefer the G&L's

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:I like it !! .... I have a Copy LP that plays nice , still prefer the G&L's

This is not mine, but I have heard the Starla played live and it is a versatile instrument that I respect. Much more practicality built into it compared to other things PRS puts out. The S2 series hits right where G&L's USA price point is.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:35 pm

In the 1980 photo, what's that thing with the six knobs on top of the speaker cab?

Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:46 pm

love the "before and after shots!" :) nice to see you finally snagged one. i know we've talked about these on several occasions and this model is still one of my favorites. the all walnut body and neck, with the preferred ebony finger board, imparts a unique voice and brings focus and punch to the mix, while giving a nice singing tone when overdriven. the Dirty Fingers which also appeared on some other models around this time have become sought after pups, though definitely a tone "for the times." The Paul, not to be confused with "The Les Paul" which was super premium model, along with the all walnut "The SG" were short lived and soon to be replaced by the fugly pock marked "Firebrand" series. Gone too was the all walnut build which makes Tim's guitar all the more special. it is nice to come home again. congrats. wish i still had mine!!! :)

Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Tim - I always think it's a good idea to keep a few Pauls around. But my favorite ones sport the P90 PU's which are somewhere between a single coil and an humbucker.

I too love Pauls that do not have the carved tops. They're lighter and easier to maneuver.

But I see you more as a single coil guy. I give that guitar a year before you cut her loose for something else you had in your youth. Ha!

Will

Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:44 pm

Congrats Tim! When I first picked up the electric guitar in 1981, one of the local shops had a used "The Paul". I can still remember how badly I wanted to find a way to buy that guitar!

I have been feeling the pull toward a Gibson lately too. I never owned one until last year. I scored a '69 EB-0 back in December for $400 - got that price because the finish was worn off and the tuners had been replaced - and then managed to find an original set of tuners last month for $100. After a quick tuner swap, a month of daily rubs with walnut oil, and a good set of flats, it has become a wonderful player. Now I'm thinking that I'd like to try either a Les Paul Junior or an old L-6S if a good deal pops up.

Anyway, enjoy The Paul! I'm looking forward to the full tone report.

Ken

Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:19 am

Tim, nice catch! I have owned two Gibsons in the last few years, sold the LP and currently have an SG Diablo. It does not get played and I never really bonded with them. The LP was heavy. I have discovered that the shorter scale can be an advantage when you become my age as it is a shorter reach. I am hanging on to the Diablo as it should not lose value. They are great eye candy! -- Darwin

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:05 pm

Fantastic "then and now" pic -- congrats on the acquisition!

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Nice find, Tim!

Those T-top pickups are becoming sought after in the Gibson world. I wouldn't mind a set of them myself for my LP. I guess I'm in the minority here in saying that I have had two LP Standards and actually like the carved top on them. My current one weighs about 10 lbs. I also really like my G&L ASAT. Strats are something I have a hard time bonding with and I've tried a few.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:04 pm

I remember reading that Steve Howe of Yes used "The Paul" on most/all of the cuts on Tormato, from 1978. I particularly liked "Don't kill the Whale" and "Future Times" from that album. His guitar sounded a little dry/stripped down but was very articulate. I don't think he used alot of effects on that one. Anyway, a good example of what that guitar can do, in the hands of the gifted!

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Congrats Tim!

Enjoyed the "then & now" photos :D

BTW, I still have the white G&L Legacy with the huge V neck you shipped to me when I was stationed in South Korea back in the late 1990s ;)

Time flies when you're having fun eh?!

~Randy

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Congrats on your new guitar! After 1 Les Paul, 3 SGs, and 2 335s, I finally figured out that anything with more than 3 knobs is way too complicated!

RickT