Timing Is Everything

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:41 am

As many of you know I have traded off a lot of my Fenders and have been focusing on other brands. Thursday I happen to stop by the local GC and it is rare that anything there strikes my eye. There were a bunch of guitars in stands on the floor as they are doing a remodel. Several of them have been damaged by people knocking them over. A guitar caught my eye as you do not see this color anywhere. I picked it up and it was an 89 Fender Strat from Japan (E-Series). There are quite a few Squiers around but you just don't see these. It was absolutely perfect. I looked at it and thought the pickguard had been recently replaced. I also suspected a professional refinish. There was no case and they wanted $600. No one their knew anything about it and they had it listed as an 85 which it clearly wasn't. I headed home to do some internet research and told Ginny about it. As usual, she wasn't totally impressed but said, "you really need another one". What can I say! I was there when they opened yesterday and talked to the manager about it. They agreed that they were unsure of the finish and pickguard. I gave them an offer and they accepted.

I arrive home and immediately took it apart. The guitar was as new and still had rubbing compound in the pickup cavities. After removing the neck I could see that this was not a refinish but original. The pots and pickups checked out as original. The markings on the neck were conclusive. It is an 89- 57 reissue which is why it had the stark white single ply pickguard which looked new. The pickup covers have aged. I had a cool pearl pickguard which I installed and after a setup this baby really cooks. The only thing not original are the string trees. Someone has installed roller string trees. There are variations of these and that is what makes them appealing. This one has Gotoh tuners but not the vintage type that were used on most. They are also original. The color is supposedly Torino Red which is very unusual on these and it close to a Dakota Red. It never hurts to look around, you never know what you may find. --Darwin

Re: Timing Is Everything

Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:59 am

darwinohm wrote:...A guitar caught my eye as you do not see this color anywhere.....

I thought this was a joke (you of all people do not see a red guitar anywhere) until I continued reading.

Nice to see how you are ready and willing to grab something worthwhile. I thought you hung up your buying hat. That is a cool guitar. I suspect it is very happy that a knowledgeable guy like you recognized and saved it from obscurity.

The fretboard looks figured like birdseye.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks Salmon, I just discovered doing more research that it is in fact a 1985 model as it was described as by the GC. Anyway, it is the newest looking used guitar I have seen in a long time. I am not looking for guitars but sometimes they do serve notice. It does have a beautiful neck with a 7.25 radius and vintage frets. No fret wear and an easy player. I am becoming convinced that it is a Dakota Red.-- Darwin

Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:07 am

Gorgeous guitar, Darwin. There's something pretty special about a red strat, and Fender Japan make a great instrument with some of the most comfortable necks I've ever played.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:09 am

Congrats Darwin, that's a beauty!

Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:43 pm

Great score Darwin! I was never a fan of red guitars until I got my red sparkle Z3 and now I seem to look for them.

That is both a cool story and sweet looker. 8-)

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 am

Thanks everyone. This has the slight v-neck and vintage frets. As Jamie said, they are very comfortable to play. It will probably just hang on the wall. Lets see what another 30 years will do to it. Hope I can make it although I will probably need new glasses before then :evilgrin: -- Darwin