Update On Guitar Shipment To Nephew

Tue May 27, 2014 8:17 am

Some time back I had posted that I would be sending a guitar to my 16 yo. nephew in a remote village in northern Alaska (Tununak). This is a village of about 130 people and the nephew just returned last Saturday from a boarding school that he is attending. In talking to him he really wanted a Telecaster. He was not even remotely familiar with G&L, I had considered sending him a G&L but knowing he wanted a Fender I decide it would be the Fender.

I sent an American Tele, in as new condition, in the TSA case with extra strings and goodies including a new Fender strap. It was well packed in a G&L factory box and now I'm hoping he will do some G&L research. I had contacted someone from Alaska for recommendations on shipping. He suggested the USPS. I shipped the guitar hoping it would be there when he arrived home. USPS told me they would have it there in 3 days. My brother up there told me no way. It was shipped on Tuesday and arrive on Friday as promised. There was no damage to the box so I asked my brother to let the nephew open it when he arrived on Saturday. The shipping cost was about $80 including insurance for $1000. I thought that was very reasonable.

The nephew called me last night thanking me and he has hardly slept since getting home. He has been playing pretty much non stop. This is probably the nicest material object he has ever owned. He has been playing an Epi Les Paul and is in love with this new one. He is a happy camper. Some of you had asked me to let you know what the outcome would be. We did talk about G&L last night so he will start looking on line. -- Darwin

Re: Update On Guitar Shipment To Nephew

Tue May 27, 2014 6:02 pm

Darwin,

Thanks for the update. That was great to hear!

Ken

Wed May 28, 2014 1:10 am

All things considered the Tele was a wise move and it seems to have paid off.

If I may suggest something to consider: I'd be careful not to push any other guitars on him at this point. Right now the Tele is the greatest thing in the world. Talk of other guitars could dilute the joy or start him thinking more about getting another gifted guitar. I'd let him play this for a year or so and develop a hunger on his own.

Wed May 28, 2014 4:42 am

[quote=If I may suggest something to consider: I'd be careful not to push any other guitars on him at this point. Right now the Tele is the greatest thing in the world. Talk of other guitars could dilute the joy or start him thinking more about getting another gifted guitar. I'd let him play this for a year or so and develop a hunger on his own.[/quote]

Salmon, I agree with you and there is no talk or idea of another gifted guitar. He is on his own and I hope that he continues to develop musically. He is one happy kid!

Thanks folks for your comments. -- Darwin

Wed May 28, 2014 4:51 am

Great story Darwin.
I did the same to my grandson only I sent a Peavey Signature model. That was a year ago, now he's showing me licks. It just don't get any better than that.
My ASAT (1988) which is still mint, is willed to him. I don't plan on leaving anytime soon, but then again you never know.

Wed May 28, 2014 10:24 am

GentlemanJim, What a neat thing to do for your grandson and it is especially rewarding that he is using it and getting good at it. There are a lot of people in this world who have helped others and being able to help someone is very rewarding especially when it is appreciated.

This brings me to share a story that happened to me when I was 13. My folks did not have money and I wanted to play in the high school band. I wanted a tenor sax and had a bachelor uncle who had means because he was very frugal. I asked him if he would loan $250 to me (1956) which was a lot of money back then. I would pay him back when I graduated from school and started working. He smiled at me and said we have a deal. After I was working I stopped up to see him and I had the $250 for him to repay the loan. He just smiled at me and refused to take the money. I can now understand the enjoyment he had from that experience and I have never forgotten that. -- Darwin

Wed May 28, 2014 1:28 pm

Good story once again. I take it you learn to play the sax. If so and how did you make the turn to guitar and when.
Last edited by GentlemanJim on Wed May 28, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 28, 2014 4:14 pm

cool stories !!

Wed May 28, 2014 4:58 pm

Great stories and very great karma Darwin. :happy0065:

Wed May 28, 2014 6:29 pm

I promised my 11 y/o son that if he saved money for a tenor sax, that I would match it - on the conditions that (a) it has to be a reasonable quality instrument that will last him a while, and (b) that he has to prove that he's making a serious effort to learn. He's just hit the $250 mark by saving every penny of his allowance for over a year, and a near-mint condition horn from the early '70s just popped up locally for $500. I'll be taking him to pick up his new horn next month after he "graduates" from fifth grade. He and a friend have been asked to play a duet (he'll be on alto) in front of the entire school at the graduation ceremony, which normally is done without any music. Honestly, I don't know which of us is more excited about that!

Ken

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:09 pm

GJ. I played guitar when I was very young. When I finished school I traded the sax for a new Gibson Es 125 TDC and a Gibson amp. I've never looked back.

Some of you have good ideas for the young ones. I just talked to the nephew today and he is in love with the Tele. It took some getting used to as he learned on the Gibson 24 3/4 scale. It is just over a week since it arrived.-- Darwin