RIP Jesse Winchester

Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:03 pm

Just saw sad news that Jesse Winchester died of bladder cancer at age 69. A great musician who never got the credit for all the work he did.

I had a strange but cool meeting with Mr Winchester when in high school in Memphis, TN, 79/80. I just happened to be in the principles office, (not disciplinary btw) and he was there to talk with the headmaster about enrolling someone in the school (all boys hs). When someone said Mr. Jesse Winchester I quickly turned around and there he was. After a quick hello I got out of the way, but he he was cordial and had cool hair, especially at that school. Rest in peace Mr. Winchester.

Re: RIP Jesse Winchester

Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:31 pm

Quick clarification before any association is made. I have no association with his politics or left / right leanings.

Just observance of the passing of a fellow musician.

Peace and play more music

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks for posting this. I wasn't even aware of him, but I just read that he wrote "Biloxi". The most moving performance I've ever seen in a concert was Jimmy Buffet covering that song as an encore in Biloxi MS in 1987. I need to dig back through some of Mr. Winchester's other work.

Ken

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:42 pm

they played a couple of songs his songs for tribute on the "Underground" WNKU radio today

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 pm

I was not aware of him either. I decided to look him up and have to say I missed something special. After listening to a couple of songs I like the man, his music and his voice. Sorry to learn of him upon his passing.

The audio on this first video is surprisingly good for Youtube. He speaks a little to the audience about cats in the second video and not even knowing of him until now I suspect you see some of his personality revealed. A very funny and insightful guy apparently. At least I see consistency in his folksy banter, the lyrics of the songs I listened to and his performance ability. In the first video it seems to me that he has the moment in his grasp with every note sung and played. A simple song performed with an acoustic guitar but it might as well have been an orchestra. The same may be true of the 2nd video performance or his performances in general but audio quality has a way of distancing me and I have not yet had a chance to experience more of him.

[youtube]5uKGWpqnS8E[/youtube]

[youtube]GpmhNRnlgfM[/youtube]

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:33 am

That's s huge shame, fantastic writer of sentimental songs and a great singer and musician. I have a several of his albums, my fave being 'Humor Me'. His song "Well-a-wiggy" is one of my favourite of all time, I posted it years ago in a lunch report, but here it is again as covered by The Weather Girls!
[youtube]0GKpW6nqJE8[/youtube]

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:42 am

Jesse was great. A wonderful writer and true believer in peace. I had been listening to "Club Manhattan" just the other day testing out some new speakers and then read the sad news. He will be missed.

y2kc