My Guitar Buying Habit May Change

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:00 am

As many of you know AGB, my favorite store has closed it's doors. They are still active on the web and the G&L generator is alive and well. They were the best guitar store that I have ever been in and I will miss them. They were 41 miles round trip away and gem of a G&L dealer. I would visit there about once a week. Last count, I believe I purchased about 20 guitars from them in the last 3 years.

This, I suspect could work very well for me as it removes my source of so many beautiful G&L's. I know I can look at them online and I know there are some great G&L retailers on line but to hold and feel them is where it is at for me. Ken pointed that out in his post this morning, sometimes the surprises have been the best one. Like Jos, I have purchased several G&L's only to discover their history after the fact, a real bonus. In viewing the photos that Craig posted this morning, I was thinking that you couldn't see that many beautiful colors and options if you took a tour of the whole Fender factory.

I do have a bit more G&L's than Fenders and I have reached a point where I would be extremely reluctant to part with any of my guitars, although I do have two guitars that I am going to let my young nephew in Alaska pick one from. One is a Fender Tele, and the other an S-500 that is worth much more. He has become a pretty decent guitar player and I would like to introduce him the the G&L brand. I am curious to see which one he will chose. I will ship it after it warms up in Alaska a bit more. He doesn't have money but has done well in school and maybe it can make a difference in his life.

Anyway, my exposure to cool G&L's has changed a bunch as their in no longer a premier G&L dealer in this large metro area. The end result may really work to my advantage. I still have contacts with Tim from AGB and he would be wonderful to order one from, but you can't beat touching and feeling them. Enough nonsense and self pity.-- Darwin :fighting0030:

Re: My Guitar Buying Habit May Change

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:25 am

Thats a bummer on AGB , just the oposite for me , my local G&L dealer is now a "stocking" G&L dealer although I don't mind ordering new and will probobaly continue to do so ..... cool on your nephew , does he know anything about G&L ???.... please let us know witch one he picks , my bet is your S 500 ain't coming back ..lol

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:05 pm

What a great thing to do for your nephew. I wish I had an Uncle like you ! Thats one for the karma bank Darwin. I can only imagine what it would be like to have access to a G&L dealer with stock. " it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all " something like that anyway.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:29 pm

The nephew:

Who knows on this one? The Fender name might attract him. The S-style or T-style bodies could attract him. I don't believe the "S-500" concept would be what attracted him if he is unfamiliar with G&L.

Darwin,

If AGB had remained open as a physical store would you continue to buy guitars? I thought you were sated after the Fallout.

How many guitars were you initially interested in at first sight only to lose interest when you played the guitar? Have you been disappointed in many guitars bought at a distance? I know you have ordered at least one.

You are pretty good at finding new homes for guitars, whether it is your home or one elsewhere. You know you could turn them over if you did not bond with them.

There is a ritual and culture to the guitar store experience especially when the dealer is knowledgeable and cares about what they sell to people. That is definitely going to be missing if you proceed to adopt the online community of sources. I am sure there are some and I know of one specifically who feels like a friendly local guy when dealing with him from a distance using a phone and email. It would be better if it were local but you make do with the way things are not constantly thinking " I wish things were different."

How is this for distance? I am buying a guitar directly from a dealer in Japan. It will be the most money I have ever spent on a guitar. A lot to gamble on. Brand new but a warranty will not be valid in the USA. There are no authorized dealers in the USA. G&L and this situation have things in common (the buyer interest in builder history and dedication to quality). I might elaborate on this in a NGD eventually.

Anyway, I hope you adapt and keep buying guitars. I enjoy your reviews and comments upon receiving a guitar. But the same is true when you just pickup one of those already in your collection. I just want you to be happy. :(

Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:49 am

Salmon, I am really well set on guitars. AGB would have probably been the only store that would have a guitar that interested me. I visited a new store in St Paul yesterday and even though they had a nice inventory overall, there was nothing that interested me.

I must say that I don't ever remember being disappointed with a guitar that I bought. I started with an American Deluxe Strat in 2005, added an American Deluxe Tele in 2006 and started adding Fenders. I did get a new American Deluxe Jazz Bass in 2000, a CHristmas gift from Ginny. This has evolved and my interests have changed and it is truly an adventure. I really enjoying playing any one of them.

I agree about what the nephew may pick. I suspect he will choose the Tele as he has no knowledge of G&L. I will explain the brand but we will see what happens. I will report on his decision when I send it. He was at our house a couple of years ago and tried many of mine. He was blown away by my Cyber Twin because of the sounds he could get. Much like people who bought them initially and ended up hating them because of the effort to program them. Thanks everyone. -- Darwin

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:31 am

glvourot wrote:What a great thing to do for your nephew. I wish I had an Uncle like you ! Thats one for the karma bank Darwin. I can only imagine what it would be like to have access to a G&L dealer with stock. " it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all " something like that anyway.

Ditto on all of this. To be able to see a bunch of G&L's in one place would be a treat.

Hopefully your nephew will choose to spread the gospel of G&L! You are a kind soul Darwin. :thumbup:

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:53 am

Hey Darwin ,
I agree with your sentiment, sometimes it's sad when life moves on
20 guitars in 3 years!! . You , my friend inspire me .
Antoine