Violin Finish as a Color?

Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:59 pm

Generally would "Violin Finish" describe a color of sunburst sort of like a cross between Tobacco Sunburst Or Old School Tobacco Sunburst for the transparent edge and Honeyburst when it is listed as a color option in the world of electric guitars?

Or, is it describing the character of the finish itself, being violin finished rather than Nitro or Poly or French Polished, etc.? It is said to be too fragile to be practical for a guitar used in bars with exposure to smoke and projectile alcohol.

The actual color varies so much between brands.

I saw an ad for a specific guitar described as "VF" (the model also comes in "CS") but it looks like Cherry Sunburst in a video. The pictures look more like the Teaburst of Gibson. It could just be the lighting of course.

Thanks!

Re: Violin Finish as a Color?

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Salmon wrote:Generally would "Violin Finish" describe a color of sunburst sort of like a cross between Tobacco Sunburst Or Old School Tobacco Sunburst for the transparent edge and Honeyburst when it is listed as a color option in the world of electric guitars?

Or, is it describing the character of the finish itself, being violin finished rather than Nitro or Poly or French Polished, etc.? It is said to be too fragile to be practical for a guitar used in bars with exposure to smoke and projectile alcohol.

The actual color varies so much between brands.

I saw an ad for a specific guitar described as "VF" (the model also comes in "CS") but it looks like Cherry Sunburst in a video. The pictures look more like the Teaburst of Gibson. It could just be the lighting of course.

Thanks!

I did a quick Google search and found this: http://www.google.com/patents/US4822690 .

It's hard to answer your question without more detail. It would be helpful if you posted about this specific guitar and the video.

:ugeek:

Re: Violin Finish as a Color?

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:44 am

Thanks Craig.

I just discovered that "VF" in this case represents Vintage Flame.

I would have posted the video and a sample picture and will as soon as I am certain whether I am buying it or not.

I don't want to increase the chance that someone else will buy it before I have figured it out.