One piece neck question

Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Thought I would put this out for the knowledgeable G&L crowd : my understanding of a one piece maple neck construction is simply no seperate fret board with the neck routed on the rear for the truss rod to be inserted, hence the skunk stripe to fill the routing. Is this correct or have I been living in my own private universe for some years. A retailer is telling me a one piece neck is routed from the front and has to have a seperate fret board added to cover the route. Is that then not, er, well something more than one piece? :shocked028:

Re: One piece neck question

Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:05 pm

Didgeaddiction wrote:Thought I would put this out for the knowledgeable G&L crowd : my understanding of a one piece maple neck construction is simply no seperate fret board with the neck routed on the rear for the truss rod to be inserted, hence the skunk stripe to fill the routing. Is this correct or have I been living in my own private universe for some years. A retailer is telling me a one piece neck is routed from the front and has to have a seperate fret board added to cover the route. Is that then not, er, well something more than one piece? :shocked028:

This link will provide a description of the three different methods G&L used/uses to build necks from the beginning in 1980 to the present: http://www.glguitars.com/features/neck.asp.

I will leave it for others to provide neck building methods of other guitar manufacturers.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:33 am

Thanks Craig. I was thinking more general construction as in not having a separate attached fretboard rather than specific G&l techniques

Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:39 pm

I agree that a a one piece neck is rear routed for a truss rod like the classic Fender/MusicMan/G&L Maple necks with skunk stripes.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:12 pm

bassman wrote:I agree that a a one piece neck is rear routed for a truss rod like the classic Fender/MusicMan/G&L Maple necks with skunk stripes.

This.

Bill

Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:28 am

The rear routing of truss rods (skunk stripe) came from classical guitar construction, where a spine is inserted into the back of the neck to prevent twisting or bowing, thus providing stability. It's usually made of rosewood, walnut or some other exotic hardwood. If you remove the nut of a classical or flamenco guitar, the spine is usually flush with the underside of the fretboard, at least on those guitars using a spine.