Pickup Repair

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:47 am

The bridge pickup in my '74 Telecaster has gone bad. I know Lindy Fralin does repair. Jason Lollar's website says that they are currently not doing pickup repairs. Besides, Fralin is there any other repair shops that I should consider?

Re: Pickup Repair

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:45 pm

Lindy is one of the most BS-free guys in the pickup business. I've always found him to be very generous in giving good advice that most other pickup people would reserve as "trade secrets". I've always loved every Fralin pickup I've had, and I think he has his head well around the realities of our non-perfectable instrument and the various tweaks that do or don't really work.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:53 pm

Have you thought of fixing it yourself? I wish I had the knowledge of this board and everything else before I turned my old Tele over to a "luthier" years ago. He just removed my original pups and put in whatever when I was young. You know better and have a great support crew.

If it's already broken, you can't hurt it brother. You're good with guitars. You know guitars. What does some wire and/or wax cost if you find a wire broken or loose?

What's wrong with it? Is it microphonic? Is it low or no output? If you can fix those crazy cars, you can do this for certain.

Jason Lollar says he has a backlog on rewinds, but call him if you absolutely don't want to do it. Also, there is tons of stuff on youtube on the subject. Go for it! I don't want to be the only one breaking crap around here!

Zippy

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Contact Seymour Duncan. They also have a shop that does rewinding and repair of vintage pickups.

Bill

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:40 am

Zippy, is right! If I can fix a modern automobile, then I should be able to fix a pickup. I'm going to attempt it myself. :BadIdea: If I do screw it up, then I'll send it to a professional.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:45 am

You can always just unwind the first 10-20 windings and see if you see a break in there. I find that's where about 30% of problems lie.

WR

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:19 am

https://www.facebook.com/tombrantleyrewinds

http://rewindpickup.com/Fenderstylesinglecoils.html

Good luck!