Tweed or Blackface

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:18 am

For those of you who like Fenders amps. Do you prefer tweed tone or blackface tone in general ?

Re: Tweed or Blackface

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:37 am

Tweed! I have a '56 Princeton. It's the most touch sensitive and raw sounding amp I've ever owned.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Depends on the gig. In a band where I'm doing a lot of lead work or crunchy rhythm parts, I'll take the smaller tweed. If I'm primarily playing clean rhythms or leads, say in country or jazz genres, a bigger BF would probably get the nod.

I tend to lean more towards the BF type tones with my Mesa Boogies, but they are flexible enough to cover any style. I've owned several vintage BF amps over the years, but I have never been happier with my tone since I started using a Boogie--all the way back around 1995.

Bill

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:40 pm

I agree with all three of you who have commented so far. When it comes to a princeton or Deluxe, I love the brown face amps. My fav. small amp are my tweed replicas, though I owned tons of oringal tweeds and B.f amps in the past. I have a Kendrick 118 and a Victoria 518. The only thing I have now close to BF amp is my Super champ xd. But I have to tell ya, for home use its a hell of an amp.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:10 am

I don't have a tweed so I can't comment about the tone on that one. Would love to have one... I use a Bandmaster head with a Blackface kit installed. Shimmers through the mix when I use either of my Legacy's :)