What's on your short list?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:07 am

So I made the comment in my introduction post last week that my ASAT Classic S Alnico is the only guitar I want or need, but alas - GAS is working it's mojo on me. :lol:

I've been looking at 2 guitars in particular:

G&L ASAT II Junior with the P90's

Heritage H535

Been eyeing both of these git-fiddles for awhile now, and though I think the ASAT with the Korina body and P90's would be sweet, I'm dying to own a Heritage once again. I've had many H150's and most all were better than any Gibson LP I've owned, but I've always liked a 335 better than an LP, so the 535 Heritage looks like the guitar I'm going to pursue. I just think it would be so killer to have alongside my ASAT Classic S. It'll most likely be a mid to late 2014 purchase, but hey - the best things are always worth waiting for.

What guitars/gear are on your short lists?

Re: What's on your short list?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:46 am

Hi,
my shortlist is getting shorter and shorter because I had two new guitars in 2013, an S-500 deluxe prototype (the one in my avatar), and my wife gave me an Eastman AR371CE (an ES175 copy) for our 10 years of road together ! I'm a happy man :luv:

But, I'm in chase for a new amp, maybe a Twin reverb reissue, or a Princeton reverb reissue, or a Mambo amp which is a top of the line SS amp for jazz.

I thought about getting an Heritage a couple of years ago, but I found out that the shorter scale guitars aren't doin' it for me (except the newly acquired Eastman), nice guitars they are !

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:10 am

Number one on my short list is a Splawn, Super Sport amp. I plan to trade my Top Hat, Club Royale and maybe my Peavey, Delta Blues too.

teleburst wrote:Heritage H535

I'm dying to own a Heritage once again. I've had many H150's and most all were better than any Gibson LP I've owned, but I've always liked a 335 better than an LP, so the 535 Heritage looks like the guitar I'm going to pursue. I just think it would be so killer to have alongside my ASAT Classic S.

The Heritage H535 is a great guitar! I've got one of the 25th Anniversary models.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:23 am

On my Short List is the LE-2....................................................................................................

I have 2 Heritage 535s, awesome guitars!

First, a righty (long story)

Second, my lefty to go along with my Heritage 150, also an awesome guitar.

Other than these 4, a breedlove acoustic and the LE-2 on the way, that's it, I am down to 6, sold the rest.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:41 am

I have already posted in my order thread whats on my short list. I do have one of the original limited build Classic S Asats and it is very nice. I also have a Tele Plus and I like the 3 pickup T types. Good choice on your short list as are the others you have mentioned. BTW, gorgeous guitars Alf.-- Darwin

Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:27 am

I don't have a short list at this point. I'm still waiting for the last two Leo-era basses I need to complete the collection (an ASAT Bass and a second-style SB-2), but they just haven't been showing up on the market lately - at least not at reasonable prices. The other one I've been waiting for years to score is a G-200. I've also had a hankering to try an Ovation Magnum I bass; I was about to pull the trigger on one over the holidays, but a family emergency forced a change of plans.

On second thought, I guess there is some short list stuff for me after all. I ordered a Moog Sub Phatty last spring, before they had officially been released. A string of delays (some with the dealer, and others with Moog's backlogs) has kept it from arriving yet. I've been told it's being built now, and should be here next month. A Control Processor to go with it and my Moogerfoogers should be at the dealer by next weekend. I'm more excited about the Control Processor than the synth, since it will let me throw complex patterns into any expression pedal input on other pedals. I also scored a couple of deals last week that were too good to pass up. One's a Skychord Sleepdrone 3, and the other is a Copilot Polypus tremolo:

[youtube]cluwQn3wmxw[/youtube]

[youtube]V90cx9OokDU[/youtube]

They should both be here next week. I'm guessing it will take a couple of weeks to really scratch the surface of what these two gadgets are capable of.

Ken

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:37 am

Nice short list teleburst !! ..... I'm just waiting arrival for my ASAT Deluxe with Bigsby and Buck Owens paint scheme , Le 2 should be here soon and been making some payments on a Broacaster .... I'll have to let these new ones sink in a while before I start gass'n again

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:14 pm

Sprinter, your pics are killin' me!!! :lol: Very very nice!

Nice short lists! To my wife's approval, I've been focusing on pedals instead of guitars lately. I received a Barber Dual Discrete overdrive pedal a couple of weeks back, and I'm head over heels for it. I placed an order for a Barber Tone Press compressor 2 days ago, and I'm looking forward to it arriving next week.

Then, I'm going to hold off buying for awhile, especially with the holidays just wrapping up.

Two more things to add to my short list are a Taylor 814ce and a Fargen Blackbird 40. Pretty sure I won't pursue the Taylor too hard, as it's a lot of coin. I used to own a Fargen Blackbird 40 version 1, but sold it to a jazz guitarist in NYC. I really miss that amp, and I hope to have one again someday, but for now, my DRRI is great and does everything I need.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:27 pm

I bought two guitars in 2013. I don't really have a list. I am not feeling the pull. But I have been looking at the G&L's that have a P90 in the neck position. I have also been casually looking at Gibson Les Pauls. It is a mountain of research to climb, there are so many things to know to avoid inferior builds and mis-priced items. A lot of people seem to like Heritage but I cannot tolerate the headstock. I am open to trying them in person and would set my feelings about the headstock aside if I discovered they felt incredible to play. The shorter scale is very comfortable to me.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:43 pm

Salmon - Yeah, that Heritage headstock was the demise of my first couple of Heritage guitars. Sold the first, remembered how great it played and sounded, bought a second and sold that as well. I then bought a third while already owning a Gibson LP Standard at that same time. It was then and there that the difference (in my opinion) was clear, and that the Heritage was the superior guitar. The Gibson was no "dog", either. That was when the Heritage headstock didn't matter to me anymore.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:22 pm

I bought two of the big ones on my shortlist in late 2012/early 2013: a Collings OM1 (for the really nice acoustic I always wanted) and a G&L Korina ASAT Jr. II.

But I'm also seriously considering something like a Heritage H150 of 535 (or another LP/or 335 style guitar). Although I have a Hamer Artist, which seems to fit right between the LP and 335 style. But I've never had a Les Paul nor 335 style guitar, even though they're the choice of many of my favorite players. That and I'm finding I play the Hamer more than the other electrics lately, even the ASAT.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:49 am

I have always kind of wanted a Les Paul goldtop, but I think it will get pushed back after a Fallout. My first nice guitar was the Gibson acoustic that I still have so my short list was halfway filled right off the bat .