Appealing To The Techno Wizzards

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:24 am

I just bought a couple of Digitech Istomp. It comes with a flat like 32 pin connector. My phone doesn't even have a camera or texting so here is the dilemma. I need an Apple device to download to and load from to the Istomp. The apps are free so this is a one time investment for me. I was a techie until 12 years ago when I retired and have been out of touch with the current leading tech products. I will have to upgrade to a new phone anyway but don't need lightning speed and a bunch of features. I want an I device to front end to the Istomp and the most economical way to go is the most attractive whether it be an I-pod, I-phone or I whatever that will work. I have considered getting an I-phone 4. There is no better place to ask such a question than here. Any help out of this mess will be greatly appreciated. I will use this phone for phone calls and not web surfing or emails. I have bought the buggy before the horse. Thanks for any ideas folks!!!! -- Darwin

Re: Appealing To The Techno Wizzards

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:51 am

Hi Darwin:

If you want a phone to be a phone, then I would suggest you get something else, an IPAD. the new IPAD mini with 7" screen is cool, fast and would work for you. It just needs to be on a wifi network, doesn't need cellular if you don't want that.

I just bought a new IPAD Air and I love it....like a big iPhone.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:53 am

As an engineer, small scale tech/IT person and the go-to resource for all things computer in my family and friends I can never oppose iAnything enough. The first thing I'd consider: is this pedal really worth diving into the worst vendor-locked ecosystem in the history of technology?

Ok, now my personal opinion aside...

If you're not really looking for bleeding edge tech and want to get in for cheap then you need to find out what the applications required iOS version and choose a device that supports at least one version greater* than that. It looks like their App only requires iOS 4.3 which is pretty old so you don't need the latest and greatest hardware. If you can handle the small interface of a phone and want to do this on the cheap then I would go to a GameStop or similar and buy a used iPod touch. Make certain it has at least iOS 5 on it, or can be updated to that, and you should be good to go.

*I say get something at least +1 version because often times vendors (through updates) deprecate support for old iOS releases and force updates. And of course newer iOS versions often hammer old hardware like nobody's business.

*A list of iPods versions (you would need at least a touch, afaict) http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:29 pm

This may or may not fit the category you need.

A couple of months ago I posted willingness to be a computer guinea pig and purchase the new HP Chromebook. It's the one with the Google Chrome operating system. It cost $279, it's lightning fast, most files are kept on the cloud, and I can do anything involving Mac or Windows so far. I'm stunned at this little dude. It also charges from a simple phone charger. It's light and because of the new type processor, does not get hot at all.

Maybe research it a bit. Or, just find a friend with an iPad, download the software to the stompboxes, and never see Apple again.

Larry

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:42 pm

ZIp, BF and Alf, thanks for your replies. Alf, I am thinking along your line, BF you have given me the information to do more research. I will be taking the Istomp along on Monday to make sure that the solution really works. I appreciate your feelings about the big A and agree that we are somewhat at their mercy. I have had both types and currently do (MAC/WINDOWS). I don't even want to comment on Windows 8? (latest one). I have required very little support from Apple but when I needed it, they were fantastic and it was free including a complete rebuild when I lost a hard drive no longer on warranty. Anyway,I appreciate the input, knew that someone here would know and as always, you folks have came through. Zip, your suggestion is appreciated but will not work in this instance. Thanks again. I will report when I have decided.-- Darwin

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:35 am

Darwin, I have an ipad mini - it doesn't have the right connector for you. Go with an older iphone or ipad if you don't need the phone part. I am really happy with the ipad mini but it won't work for what you want. You would need to buy an adapter to go with it.

FWIW - I am all apple products now and love it. I hate to even boot windows now. Slowly replacing all software to mac versions. Spend my time being productive instead of trying to figure out how to get it done. iphone, ipad, macbook - they just work, instead of trying to figure out how to get them to work. Hell, they don't even come with user manuals. That should tell you something.

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.... :happy0007:

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:29 am

fianoman wrote:Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.... :happy0007:

I have 'gone' Mac, and had/have to support it. No thanks, I think it can be great for the uninitiated or people who are happy with how it does everything.

You all think there are only two options - neither of which is very good. There are many many more.

btw, a little more on-topic, am I the only who thinks it is contradictory to advertise these iStomp as inexpensive and flexible but lock you into the most overpriced hardware and inflexible operating system on the market?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:54 pm

bloodied_fingers wrote:...am I the only who thinks it is contradictory to advertise these iStomp as inexpensive and flexible but lock you into the most overpriced hardware and inflexible operating system on the market?

You may not be alone but you probably do not have much company because most people would have committed to the platform and would not base their initial investment in iApple on the ability to use the iStomp.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:06 am

bloodied_fingers wrote:I think it can be great for the uninitiated or people who are happy with how it does everything.

I apologize. Being new to the forum I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to express my own opinion.

As for 'uninitiated', I have been working with computers and programming for over 40 years now – many sizes, many brands, many networks, and many OS's - so I do have a modicum of reference from which to speak.

And for the second part of that, if every product we purchased worked as advertised all of us would have more free time and be happier so I am not sure I see a negative there.

Let's just agree that you will be steadfast in your resolve to hate apple and I will be steadfast in my resolve to do less tech support than ever before, be more productive, and spend more time doing things I actually enjoy – regardless of brand.

Jeez – how many insults can you hurl in one thread….

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:06 pm

fianoman wrote:
bloodied_fingers wrote:I think it can be great for the uninitiated or people who are happy with how it does everything.

I apologize. Being new to the forum I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to express my own opinion.

As for 'uninitiated', I have been working with computers and programming for over 40 years now – many sizes, many brands, many networks, and many OS's - so I do have a modicum of reference from which to speak.

And for the second part of that, if every product we purchased worked as advertised all of us would have more free time and be happier so I am not sure I see a negative there.

Let's just agree that you will be steadfast in your resolve to hate apple and I will be steadfast in my resolve to do less tech support than ever before, be more productive, and spend more time doing things I actually enjoy – regardless of brand.

Jeez – how many insults can you hurl in one thread….

uhm.. It wasn't an insult.

I've poorly communicated my position or you have wildly misinterpreted it. I'm not so into forum wars so I will assume the blame here and apologize.

I'm sorry to have offended you - sorry.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:08 pm

I want to thank all of you who gave me information to make a decision on this thing which I did today. Alf suggested an Ipad which is what I did. I did not want a phone, my desk Mac is outdated and is my recording machine. The browsers don't work very well any more so I figured that an updated rig for email and internet wold be in order. I bought a refurbished 64 gig Ipad that looks like new. Only setup issue was I couldn't remember my email password but I called my carrier and got that. So nowI decide it is time to Istomp. I went on the Digitech site and downloaded the interface and hooked the Istomp up and downloaded at least 32 pedals , all free. That whole process took about 15 minutes or less. The apps download in 10 to 15 seconds each. I will never use all of them but I tested a bunch and they do as advertised. Actually some cool chorus, flangers, reverbs, and delays. I will use these at home, mostly while recording so this was a perfect solution. The app takes less than 30 seconds to load in the Istomp. The bonus is that I like the Ipad and Ginny will love it so it will make life simpler. It is a treat when things work as designed and I have to say the whole process was seamless including setting up the Ipad. Now all I have to figure out is what is a cloud. Thanks again everyone for the tips. BTW, I did take the Istomp along to the store (Firstech) and the fellow saw the box and said he had one. He was shocked when he found out what they sold for last week. MF seems to be out of them now. Steve will be delighted as he already has the Iphone to load it with.-- Darwin

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:55 pm

bloodied_fingers wrote:uhm.. It wasn't an insult.

I've poorly communicated my position or you have wildly misinterpreted it. I'm not so into forum wars so I will assume the blame here and apologize.

I'm sorry to have offended you - sorry.

uhm... OK :eh: thanks and back at ya :thumbup: I'm not into forum wars either - didn't even get my fingers bloody :fighting0030: Nothing to see here folks, let's move along :zzz:

Back in my corner chilling and ready to talk more guitar stuff. :geek: Next! :mrgreen:

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Darwin,

Sounds like fun. Can you only load one effect model at a time and when you want a different effect you have to hook up to the ipad again? Or can you scroll through and select one of the 32 on the fly when you are playing? Not that familiar with how they operate.

You will enjoy the ipad, there are quite a few music apps to pick from. One that I like is 'instune' - a pretty accurate tuner. Not sure if it is still free or not but it works well.

Lame definition of cloud. It is just an off site storage server that someone else owns. If you have ever backed up to an external server or disk in your house, it is similar to that. You are just letting apple - or whoever - hold the information in storage for you until you need it. I rarely use the cloud. Good if you travel a lot.

Enjoy and thanks for the report! :)

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:32 pm

Only one pedal is loaded at a time. If you stay connected to the I device you can load a new pedal in less than 30 seconds. I would bet that Digitech will announce a new version this week at NAMM that will hold multiple pedals. If they do it will be expensive. These were very expensive initially and the apps were about $20 ea. MF blew them out at $39.99 last week and they are now out. I will use it when recording if needed so it is just a matter of deciding which pedal and a less than 30 second load. It is much easier than programming a multifunction unit which I already have. BTW, I will probably grab a tuner app. I suspect Ginny will soon load me with a quit buying app.-- Darwin